Notices

1 day sober

Old 08-21-2018, 04:17 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

1 day sober

So, at this time of day, I usually have a beer in hand. Off work, nothing to do until bedtime, especially if I skip dinner. However, I have not reached for one yet. Yesterday, I limited my intake to a 2 shots in the morning and 11 beers at night. Terrified of withdrawal, I thought maybe I should slowly taper off...? However, I feel ok...my withdrawals we're heavy yesterday, from the weekend overindulgence. I didn't sleep much last night and dealt with sweating/freezing....but today I feel good....should I be worried about withdrawals tonight/tomorrow? If I say clean?
Old 08-21-2018, 05:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Ron

we can;t give you medical advice here and in any case everyone's different when it comes to withdrawal.

I've had withdrawal where I felt great and some where I should have sought medical attention.

If you feel ok, thats great - if not - or you're anxious about it - maybe consider seeing a medical professional?

Tapering - no successful experience to share,
I could never taper worth a damn. I'd drink it all and go and buy more.

D
Old 08-21-2018, 05:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Whenever I’ve gone on a 2-3 day binge, and I can only speak for me, if I didn’t have the sweats or the shakes on day 2, I knew I was okay, but I’d never hesitate to walk into an urgent care to get checked out. Always best to be safe. Good luck.
Old 08-21-2018, 05:37 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

My last session was a four day bender. Saturday was the last day and I have no idea how much I drank. Sunday morning I had the hangover from hell, a normal state for me, but on Sunday night I was at an AA meeting and safe among friends. Monday night at another meeting I found my sponsor and soon began work on the program of recovery. I never drank again. In fact it seems like the problem was removed almost at once.

I also visitd a doctor, I think just after my may previous bender, which was almost a year long. She gave me time off work, and lined my up for rehab, which I later declined, but wasn't concerned about withdrawal. I may have been dry a few days by that point. Thankfully the doctors of that time were very reluctant to hand out medication so I avoided that trap.

The main point is that I began treating the cause immediately, didn't give the old thinking a chance to trip me up again.
Old 08-21-2018, 07:06 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank all of you. I've been a daily (nightly) drinker for about 15 years....without missing a day. Hard on Fridays, all day Saturday and Sunday, with awful withdrawals every monday....no hangover, just withdrawals. Easily kill a 30 pack by myself on a Saturday...I'm also skinny as hell because I don't eat right. I've finally decided I'm not doing this anymore. It's been a full 24 hours by now....and I still feel ok, actually feel hungry. Thanks for your support. I'm new here and actually reading all the threads on here has been super helpful....I'm going to kick in my will power button, and disconnect the toggle ...
Old 08-21-2018, 07:15 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Check in here often. Lots of support here.
Old 08-21-2018, 10:01 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Congratulations on your Day One. Please come back and tell us how you are doing. I would just say that if you start to feel really bad, you should go to ER or Urgent Care and tell them you're stopping alcohol and in withdrawal. They'll help you without judging you.
Old 08-22-2018, 12:27 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Mr

Welcome Ron.
Congratulations for deciding to get sober.

My withdrawals after relapsing were visits to hell but everyone is different. Tapering - no way who am I kidding.

Simple bits of advice : Drink plenty of water. Multivitamins. Get some decent sleep (not easy) Support network. Meetings. How are you "planning" staying sober.... ?
Old 08-23-2018, 06:01 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

How's it going Ron? Is the will power button doing the trick?
Old 08-23-2018, 09:27 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

How are you doin Ron ?