Notices

Tired!!! Zzzz

Old 08-20-2018, 08:31 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Tired!!! Zzzz

I am a few months sober, I don't count the days as in the past I had so many white chips that they would fill a drawer, nothing to be proud of, and the "never again" mentality is psychologically draining, although I know that that's the path I have to follow. I am tired all the time! Could sleep 24/7. At first, as usual, I had trouble sleeping but soon it changed. No sleeping pills (had trazodone and melatonin for a while, not sure if melatonin did anything), but nothing recently. I am on 20 mg Prozac/day, and my doctor can not understand why I am tired as Prozac usually is rather energizing. Medical facts check out fine apart from what we already know. I smoke 2 cicarettes a day and don't think that has anything to do with anything, other than doctors think that it is really bad. Had intense cravings yesterday but overrode them with activities and candy. I have actually lost weight since I quit drinking and overweight is not an issue, nor was it before. What to do?!? I am a world class procrastinator and past master of denial, but now ready to move on and accomplish at least some of what I missed during all the years of out of control heavy drinking. But I have no energy whatsoever. I guess it takes time to recover but in the meantime, how can I speed up the process?
Old 08-20-2018, 08:35 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

ice,

have you gotten blood drawn?

Could be something as benign as a vitamin deficiency.

Could be anemia.

Best to get a full medical workup (I don't know if your psych has provided that).
Old 08-20-2018, 08:41 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

As Daredevil says, a full blood work up would probably be in order. I can tell you that I'm tired too and I've had extensive blood work done to rule out a problem. Sometimes, from what I'm told, after drinking heavy for so long, your body just take a real beating and needs time - sometimes weeks; sometime longer. I'm only a couple of weeks in and I could literally sleep all day if I allowed myself to do so. I almost feel like the more I sleep the more tired I get so I force myself up.
Old 08-20-2018, 09:27 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Exercise, meditation and a healthy diet are extremely helpful. I'm at 122 days and have terrible insomnia. I get maybe 2 hours of sleep a night. Needless to say, I'm exhausted and don't have the motivation to do very much other than what is absolutely necessary. Stay the course!
Old 08-20-2018, 09:44 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

My bloodwork is, thankfully, fine. So... it's something else....
Old 08-20-2018, 09:48 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I guess I will try meditation. My diet is extremely healthy. Excercise, limited but I am trying. Problem is that I just want to sleep.
Old 08-20-2018, 02:03 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm tired too.
While its good to rule out anything else, I have heard it from many in the first year.
I drink lots of water, and let myself rest and take naps when I can, or even just ly down.
I try to eat as many healthy fresh vegetables and fruit and whole grains as possible and take a good quality vitamin.
And i let my body rest.
Old 08-20-2018, 02:05 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

drink icewater like your name, i really like it and i put a slice of lemon in it sometimes, i find it helps refresh me.
Old 08-20-2018, 03:06 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I am 4 months sober and the extreme tiredness I was feeling has only just started to lift.
Old 08-20-2018, 04:26 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Just a note guys - no diagnoses please - just personal experience.

It took me maybe 3 months to even start to get my energy back icewater, so I hope there are better days ahead for you.

Prozacs effects can vary from person to person. FWIW It made me tired too.

D
Old 08-20-2018, 05:08 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Ah, I don't have 4 months yet! I will get there. Flying to Helsinki tomorrow. Let's see if I can sleep through the jet lag, LOL. Rule number one: no alcohol on the plane! Icewater instead. That will be hard but I will have to resist the temptation.
Old 08-21-2018, 07:28 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

At JFK waiting for the flight. Got past duty free with only a carton of cigarettes (yes I am bad!) and a New York themed chocolate box for my nephews. Luckily my sister that I will be spending a lot of time with only drinks a glass of bubbly at weddings and such, maybe once a year, her husband also rarely has anything. Finland, however, is a country where alcoholism is a HUGE problem, so lots of support there, from AA to government financed programs, while celebrities typically go to a private but extremely modest Minnesota model house together with "ordinary people" that have sold their homes to come up with the $$ (not expensive by any means, it can be done for $ 6000 unless there is the need to stay longer). I am going to hit AA, the meetings are around the corner from my place! I come from an alcoholic background, while my parents (and sister) never drank/drink much at all, many uncles and aunts died or killed themselves because of alcohol. They never looked for help. I think it is really important that I see that all of us at this site admit, at one time or another, that they, or someone they are close to, has/ had a problem. I still have a problem, by no means do I consider myself as recovered. Hopeful is all I can say. IMO silence and denial are pretty much the kiss of death, and I keep coming to that conclusion: I can not do this alone!
Old 08-21-2018, 09:46 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

You may find that hitting the gym (or working out in some way) will also help. I'm not a doctor but in my own recent experience, I feel like the exercise and drinking lots of water helps to kind of squeeze the toxins out.
Old 08-21-2018, 12:08 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

I was really tired for months when I first got sober. It gradually got better. I had blood work done and there was nothing wrong. People vary - some have tons of trouble sleeping in early sobriety, and some want to sleep all the time.

I figure the extra sleep I needed was just part of the healing process. We beat our bodies up pretty badly while drinking. It takes time for things to level out.
Old 08-21-2018, 12:36 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Many years ago, on my first attempt at getting sober I had the most terrible insomnia that went on for weeks. On top of that I had random itching all over my body. Nighttime was the worst, lying in bed with itching at one moment in my foot, then my back, then my leg etc etc. To cut a long story short my Docotr suspected it was from all the toxins that were cleaning from my body along with terrible anxiety. I was given a low dose of an anti-depressant (I forget which one, probably Prozac though) to work on the anxiety and my Doctor suggested I start to exercise daily. I joined the gym (cardio-vascular workouts not weights) and went for long walks too. For about a fortnight after this I felt extremely tired (bordering on absolute exhaustion) but about two months after quitting drinking I suddenly started to sleep properly. It was wonderful to be able to go to bed and sleep like a baby and to have an unbroken sleep for 7-8 hours. Unfortunately a few months later I started drinking again and the sleeping problems returned. My fault, I just got too complacent instead of keeping on doing what was working.
Old 08-21-2018, 04:35 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

Bon Voyage Icewater

D