Notices

Moderating Down

Old 08-18-2018, 08:42 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy Moderating Down

After attending a stag doo I relapsed heavily after (Typical I Know)!

I've just today started to moderate down to about a quarter of my usual routine but the withdrawals are still terrible.

Mainly severe anxiety and shakes paired with itching and insomnia no doubt tonight

Where I'm from they don't medically detox you if you've had one in the last year ( I had one last January after a seizure) and remained sober for six months.

I was wondering if anybody had experience of successful moderation to zero alcohol? If so how long does it take as I'm guessing it will take a lot longer than a medical detox.

My plan was too reduce 25% of units everytime my withdrawals improved until at the holy zero. I'm splitting each drink at 6 hour intervals.

I would consider cold turkey but I can't risk seizure.

My family are very supportive which helps immeasurably.

Anyway would appreciate hearing from anybody who has applied and suceeded with this method.

Thanksss
Old 08-18-2018, 09:25 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You won't get medical advice on this site. If you have any questions along those lines, as I'm sure the moderators will point out, you should ask your doctor. If you're talking about tapering off so as to avoid withdrawals that's one thing I assume that you're not inquiring about a life of moderating your intake. Right?
Old 08-18-2018, 09:29 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Tapering off alcohol is extremely difficult for alcoholics. It's really much easier to stop cold turkey.

If you talk to your dr, he may be able to tell you if you could stop cold turkey safely.
Old 08-18-2018, 09:38 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yes tapering off! I want to be sober for life.

If I had the money I would go to private detox as I'm not sure I can do it safetly.

However thank you for informing me of the forum rules, I will consult with my GP next week.

Until them I'm going to stick to this reduced tapering. Worth a shot!

Thanks
Old 08-18-2018, 09:53 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Don’t take advice from me, I’m too new for that

I cut down, on advice, to prepare for cutting out completely. It prepared me physically but also that 12 months also showed me a) I am NOT in control of this and b) I could live sober for more than 12 hours. I’d been drunk or hungover for 5 years Ona row with very little break, those few days with no alcohol, then two days at a time, made a difference

But nothing like the joy of being completely dry, albeit for such a short time. In my case (and mine alone) the sleep, better eating, better mood and loss of cravings happened within ten days

That’s why I’ve got to work at this to never go back. Now I’m off for 24 more...