Notices

Flu/cold symptoms trigger

Old 08-18-2018, 07:26 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Flu/cold symptoms trigger

It never fails, everytime I get almost 30 days dry I get flu like cold symptoms. This is also a huge trigger for me because I often treat my colds with hot tottie brandy etc. It works like a charm each time. Well here I am again at day 25 and I woke up with body aches and just dont feel well. I went to the doctor a few days ago when i was having sinus pressure and ear pain. The doctor prescribe an antibiotic which I started taking. But now I have body aches "no fever" runny nose and still ear pain. Im trying not to let these symptoms lead me to a drink. Has anyone else had this happen? Thanks
Old 08-18-2018, 07:44 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi there,

With a hot toddy the brandy etc. really does nothing for the cold so just a mug of hot water, lemon and honey would be just as good or any other hot drink for that matter. Drink plenty of water too.

Try to resist and hope you feel better soon.

J
Old 08-18-2018, 07:54 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by tonisherrell View Post
It never fails, everytime I get almost 30 days dry I get flu like cold symptoms. This is also a huge trigger for me because I often treat my colds with hot tottie brandy etc.
If it happens every time at thirty days, maybe it's your addiction trying to get you to drink. Which is has.

A cold won't kill you. Drinking might. Stay strong.
Old 08-18-2018, 08:11 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I used to get similar flu symptoms around 3 weeks sober. My doctor said this is a normal part of quitting drinking. I used to also drink to make myself feel better and initially it did help. But then you just keep going round and round on that merrygo round. The only way to stop that cycle is to stop doing that. Every time you resist that urge, it will get easier and you will naturally get over your cold in time.
Old 08-18-2018, 05:50 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

IOts very common to get sick after quitting. I dunno about you toini but I wasn't much interested in looking after myself when drinking so it made sense to me I'd be run down.

Drinking is absolutely not the answer.

I hope you'll feel better in a day or two

D
Old 08-18-2018, 06:00 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

"I feel like crap..I think I'll drink,which also makes me feel like crap." How insane is that line of 'thought'? The sooner you break thru these 'barrier days',without a drink, the sooner you can start building a healthy lifestyle where a drink is only a thing of the past.
Old 08-18-2018, 08:31 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Push thru it sober. The only way out is through. Decide you're going to be sober no matter what. And stick to it.
Old 08-19-2018, 01:41 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Sounds like you’ve learned what happens to you when you quit for a month.
You’re prepared, just defeat this boss and get to the next level.
Good luck and get well soon.
Old 08-19-2018, 12:16 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I agree with the other people here - seems quite common! Mine was always at two weeks sober. I'd get over the withdrawals, then bam, in came the flu!

I would suggest herbal tea, blankets and treat yourself as you would a sick child. Last time I went through it I watched Kung Fu Panda, had naps and got my husband to bring me endless cups of tea haha.

I wish you the best. Don't pick up over it