Notices

Going to a wedding this weekend

Old 08-17-2018, 09:38 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Going to a wedding this weekend

First wedding sober. Wedding will have an open bar. No, I'm not going to drink because I'll be with my boyfriend and I'm strong enough in my sobriety that I won't cave. But I'm not going to enjoy the smell of all that alcohol and drunk people. What mocktails do you guys like? Posting here to hold myself accountable.
Old 08-17-2018, 09:40 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bringmeback7693 View Post
First wedding sober. Wedding will have an open bar. No, I'm not going to drink because I'll be with my boyfriend and I'm strong enough in my sobriety that I won't cave. But I'm not going to enjoy the smell of all that alcohol and drunk people. What mocktails do you guys like? Posting here to hold myself accountable.
Weddings can be so fun sober. Eat to your heart's content and enjoy the music.
Old 08-17-2018, 09:43 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
under new management

Originally Posted by lessgravity View Post
Weddings can be so fun sober. Eat to your heart's content and enjoy the music.
I agree! I have been to a couple of weddings and I did really enjoy the food, the desserts and the music.

At the end of the night, I felt nothing but gratitude to be sober and not making a spectacle of myself

I don't do the mocktails, but I would fancy up my fizzy water with a splash of cranberry juice. Tasty and pretty
Old 08-17-2018, 11:05 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I am a simple club soda gal.

Enjoy the wedding.
Old 08-17-2018, 12:19 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I drink iced tea/water/diet soda now, when hanging out with drinkers. In early days it was cran/soda,so it looked like I had a drink. I like cran/soda,but prefer iced tea,ect.. and I no longer 'fake drink'. I drink whatever the hell I want and pay no mind to what people 'think' of my not drinking booze. I'll also 'warn you' that a mocktail will not make the; "I'm not going to enjoy the smell of all that alcohol and drunk people" any more enjoyable than a bottle water will. Drink what you want to drink and pay no attention to other's liquor consumption,would be my advice.
Old 08-17-2018, 02:58 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Mojito.
Old 08-17-2018, 03:04 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I assume Gerard is joking. And a virgin monitor would be gross....

Having a drink idea is great and also having a plan in mind with things like...
Where to focus your attention...dancing, time with kids if there, whatever.
Plan ahead to leave at a certain time, or at any time you get squirrelly- is your brother support for you being sober?
Remember that it is not an event about you, you don't owe people a reason for not drinking, and focusing on the couple is plenty for you to do as a guest.

i know at my first wedding, I appreciated everyone who came but sure didn't have time to focus on all of them.

Have fun and if in doubt about anything emotional or physical that tempts you, politely leave. If you feel upset or.
Old 08-17-2018, 06:42 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'd stay away from the mocktails - it's one step closer to the real thing.

Its like pretending to be a drinker to fit in and it's like 75& of old drinking behaviour...just add alcohol and you have the other 25%

D
Old 08-17-2018, 08:19 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Going sober will mean you'll remember everything and won't be regretful the next day.
Old 08-18-2018, 04:38 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

To the mocktail thing....I don't feel a need for them and have heard plenty of people with split opinions on this. I work in a restaurant t group whose owner is sober. All of our menus have great wine selections, some good craft cocktails...and what we call a Zero Proof section of NA bevs. I might try one when I am at one of our (19) restaurants and some are tasty. But this isn't something I seek to do.

If you think about it my beloved Pellegrino w lots of lime looks just like my vodka sodas of yore!
Old 08-18-2018, 04:54 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bringmeback7693 View Post
Have fun at the wedding! I wouldn’t worry about what others think and just drink water if need be. You made it this far for a little wedding to get in the way . Stay sober and be happy!
Old 08-18-2018, 05:20 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by August252015 View Post
I assume Gerard is joking. And a virgin monitor would be gross....
No virgin mojito is brilliant. Mint and lime nothing better don't go overboard on sugar water.