Notices

day 18

Old 08-16-2018, 09:46 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

day 18

hi all not posted for a while. that's me on day 18 still got alot of anxiety but seems to be getting a bit less everyday. been offered a house today and can't turn it down as I'm technically homeless, the house is nice but it's right in the same street as the people iv been trying to avoid to get sober. they were my friends but I know in myself that I have to keep away from them as I always end up relapsing when I am with them. it's not even that they make me drink I just always associate them with drinking so have to stay away but I know when I get the house they will always be trying to get in. I just hope I don't start letting them in cos I know I'll be right back at square one
Old 08-16-2018, 09:59 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sober Soldier

Hi zacf congrats on 18 days
Old 08-16-2018, 12:47 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congrats on 18 days!

I know many people who have ended up this very situation; offered an opportunity for housing in the same neighborhood and around the same people who tempt them to ruin the opportunity. This will be a true test of your desire to remain sober. I would suggest that you immediately get yourself to a meeting, whether NA or AA or both, and raise your hand and tell others your issue. Set the bar for yourself in terms of accountability and transparency, and commit yourself to honesty.

Regardless of where you are, the temptation is out there. Even if you were placed in a fantastic neighborhood with very few opportunities around, you know if you wanted to you could find your way back to square one. Naturally it's a big more challenging when it's in your face all the time, and the people are familiar, but you know where to go regardless of where you are. Don't let that turn into an excuse for a relapse!

Get involved in your local meetings and make THAT a priority.
Old 08-16-2018, 01:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on 18 days sober! Don't let anyone else 'make you' drink. Your sobriety is yours. Own it!
Old 08-16-2018, 01:38 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

18 days is something to be proud of, zacf.
Old 08-16-2018, 04:19 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats on 18 days Zac & congrats on the house

I live in an area where I could get wasted anytime I wanted to look for that opportunity - but I don't.

I keep myself to myself and I run a recovery programme each and every day that involves me using my support system - all you guys.

You can do this Zac

D