The Addict/Codependent Jail Cell

Old 08-15-2018, 05:26 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The Addict/Codependent Jail Cell

Jail cells are very lonely places when you are incarcerated all alone. Addict inmates need the Codependent there to keep them company. We think we have recovered a lot, and do not miss that jail cell.

*The temptation for the recovering Codependent to return there is subtle and insidious.*

Sometimes the Codependent doesn't miss the addict so much, but they miss his Mother. We had some great times with Mother, love her, and miss her company.
Mother is not in recovery, and shares the addict's cell. She is a prisoner too.

*The desire to visit Mother can get one trapped back in the jail cell again.*

Sometimes the Codependent misses the animals they used to share with the addict. The animals might appear to roam free, but they too are in the jail cell.

*The desire to visit the animals can lure one back into the jail cell.*

Sometimes the addict is nice and friendly to the Codependent. Sometimes they are not. The Codependent starts to wonder why.

*This question why can start a wrong turn back to the jail cell.*

The Alcoholic "picking up" again after years of sobriety, can swiftly turn them into a drunk again. The Codependent making a wrong turn can also end up back in jail.
Old 08-15-2018, 05:46 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

This kind of imagery helps me very much. Slices through denial and the fog, especially FOO fog in the brain. Thanks for this.
Peace,
B.
Old 08-16-2018, 02:12 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Was reading a book yesterday that said, underneath every addiction (alcohol drugs etc) lies codependency. So ultimately it's 2 codependents drawn to each other. The alcoholic is also codependent, I didn't realise this.
Old 08-18-2018, 03:43 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

In the tenth year of alcoholism recovery I wound up in the most destructive relationship of my life with an alcoholic with no program. That's when I saw how codependent I really am and actively started to deal with it. A drug is a drug..........whether it's alcohol, food, shopping or other people. Thank God for Alanon!