JFT August 15, 2018

Old 08-15-2018, 02:43 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
The truth shall set you free

JFT August 15, 2018

August 15, 2018
Over time, not overnight
Page 237

"We found that we do not recover physically, mentally, or spiritually overnight."

Basic Text, p. 28

Have you ever approached a recovery celebration with the feeling that you should be further along in your recovery than you are? Maybe you have listened to newcomers sharing in meetings, members with much less clean time, and thought, "But I'm just barely beginning to understand what they're talking about!"

It's odd that we should come into recovery thinking that we will feel wonderful right away or no longer have any difficulty handling life's twists and turns. We expect our physical problems to correct themselves, our thinking to become rational, and a fully developed spiritual life to manifest itself overnight. We forget that we spent years abusing our bodies, numbing our minds, and suppressing our awareness of a Higher Power. We cannot undo the damage in a day. We can, however, apply the next step, go to the next meeting, help the next newcomer. We heal and recover bit by bit-not overnight, but over time.

Just for Today: My body will heal a little, my mind will become a little clearer, and my relationship with my Higher Power will strengthen.

Copyright (c) 2007-2018, NA World Services, Inc. All Rights Reserved