Notices

Phases of Stopping

Old 08-15-2018, 02:16 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Phases of Stopping

Phase 1 - 1 week to 1 month

This is when physical symptoms and changes are most acute. Particularly in the first few days dealing with the pains of withdrawal. Also we are generally emotionally very unstable as we face the ruin our life has become in the sober cold light of day.

As the month goes on we start to feel physically much better. Emotionally we feel better, may be too much better. False confidence and underestimating how bad things were may occur to us and send us back.

Phase 2 Establishment - 1 month to 1 year

This is where I have found myself on a few occasions. Day to day AF is not an effort. However, I have not dealt with any core issues. Inside I still think of alcohol as a reward.

I actually have never returned to drinking because of troubles or sadness. They don't trigger me that way, I know well enough that I am merely adding shiit to a negative situation.

My relapses occur from a feeling of boredom and underestimating the grip that alcohol has on me when I am drinking. The feeling that I wanted a treat, a reward. Relapses have also occurred because I drank in social situations. That is a tough one for me.

Phase 3 Way of Life - 1 year plus.

I can only imagine this phase.