Notices

Informal Poll: Social Media and Recovery

Old 08-12-2018, 07:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Informal Poll: Social Media and Recovery

I am curious how many of you have changed your approach to following social media when you are in recovery.

I made an ill advised post last night with a political slant... and I sincerely apologize to the moderators for doing that... but my ultimate question is whether or not many of you have had better success in your recovery by moderating the type of information you take in on a day to day basis.

I ask because my mentor and I have different opinions on it. He has jumped off of social media (and the news cycle in general) entirely because he claims it is not beneficial to his recovery. I am tossed because I think knowing what is going on in the World is important and I'll acquire this information anyway purely through osmosis of interacting with people on a day to day basis.

That being said, I think I answered my own question. My recovery should be top on my priority list... the other stuff should be set aside because it does more harm than good during the healing process. If all is well and good in the World but it is not all well and good for me, then does it really matter... selfishly speaking?

Hmmmmmmm.....
Old 08-12-2018, 07:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I use social media to find out what's going on and to keep up with family and friends. It has not interfered with my recovery at all.
Old 08-12-2018, 07:54 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I don't think knowing whats going on in the world and being in recovery need to be mutually exclusive.

I used to say I was too sensitive for the world but that was a cop out really. Getting sober has helped me engage much more in the world around me and helps me try and make some small difference in that world.

That being said, I think political discussions do more harm than good on a site like this, and I think the majority of social media hasn't a lot to do with news and everything with opinions about the news?

D
Old 08-12-2018, 09:44 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I just recently deleted my social media profiles that are on sites that are conducive to “politics”. I kept the one that is just for sharing photos, because it promotes positivity.

I’m very much engaged in this stuff, in my real life. But I dislike how people treat each other online in an unmoderated environment. I think it’s making the world a little scary. In real life, we can engage differently. I also think memes etc promote cookie cutter thinking and frankly promotes idiocy.

I told my family and friends who are far away that they can text me or follow my page where I post pictures of my life every once in awhile. I did this pretty recently. I’ve been benefiting from this decision. My sobriety is stronger. But I think I came to this decision because of sobriety.

And this is also weird and I have no data but I could swear that the same part of my brain that is an addict mind is also the part that would engage on social media.
Old 08-12-2018, 10:04 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm actually a Moderator on a political site on social media. It can be irritating at times, but if I feel super-stressed, I just tend to log out. I have 19 months of sobriety behind me though and I can imagine in the early days, it wouldn't have been so easy.
Old 08-12-2018, 10:20 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Life goes on...

-what would be next? No radio, no newspapers, no tv?
Old 08-12-2018, 11:18 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Keto View Post
Life goes on...

-what would be next? No radio, no newspapers, no tv?
I feel this is more than just the typical "news cycle". So many of my family members and friends feel the same way. I'm scared.

If you ever read the book "Who Moved My Cheese?"... I am "Scurry".
Old 08-12-2018, 11:34 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
That being said, I think political discussions do more harm than good on a site like this, and I think the majority of social media hasn't a lot to do with news and everything with opinions about the news?

D
A) I know. Political discussions do more harm than good...in any situation where we are trying to promote positivity. B) That is a very valid point... I could really use some recommendations on where I can get real "news". Many major news networks in the US are "taking sides" for the purpose of ratings which no longer makes them "trusted and impartial" news sources. The line of what is opinion about news and purely news is becoming blurred.
Old 08-13-2018, 12:24 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

I used to moderate the political forum on a music site. I did a lot of unmoderate PWI (Posting While Intoxicated). I still post on a political forum on Facebook. I have found that I prefer hanging out with the like-minded at this point, and have blocked a bunch of people from the other end of the political spectrum that I don't know very well. But I still Facebook a lot.

Thankfully I have no desire to post anything political on these forums, and I think the board is moderated so such discussions are not really all that welcome. We're all about recovery here, not politics, and I don't think they mix well.

Up to you. I think I kept off the political discussions for quite a while in early sobriety, I had bigger fish to fry. Now I'm back in the fray, but not nearly as stridently as when I was drinking 'n drugging.
Old 08-13-2018, 12:30 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Social media has no affect on me what so ever. I am too old and anti social to get excited about it. I do love the internet and am avid youtube viewer on all manner of things.
Old 08-13-2018, 07:31 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I found dumping the biggest social media platform very beneficial to me. I have much more peace when I'm not bombarded by a million different opinions on a million different things coming at me from all directions. Makes it much much easier for me to focus on keeping my side of the street clean instead of wanting to engage in why someone else's is so dirty. Does that make any sense?
Old 08-13-2018, 10:07 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BlownOne View Post
I found dumping the biggest social media platform very beneficial to me. I have much more peace when I'm not bombarded by a million different opinions on a million different things coming at me from all directions. Makes it much much easier for me to focus on keeping my side of the street clean instead of wanting to engage in why someone else's is so dirty. Does that make any sense?
Yes, it does. Thanks! I just need to focus on other things because I have become too dependent on social media. Once I figure out how to quit social media, the more I will be set up for success in my recovery.
Old 08-13-2018, 11:04 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TeeJayVerm View Post
That being said, I think I answered my own question. My recovery should be top on my priority list... the other stuff should be set aside because it does more harm than good during the healing process.
Old 08-14-2018, 12:57 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I just want to say I say your initial political post, but missed whatever happened next. I am sorry if it turned into something it was not meant to be. I know politics are a touchy subject and best left out of forums such as this one. That said, this political climate IS are really big problem or trigger for some people. It is an insane time right now and a lot of people are truly suffering- it is legitimate. I know a lot of people who have had to seek out professional help, anti-depressants and anti-anxiety medications and other sources of support to get through this. My mom has had to completely close down all social medial and has stopped watching the news, she was just getting too worked up and feeling psychologically unwell.

Anyway, all that to say, you are not alone in your concerns and stress over the current political climate.
Old 08-14-2018, 02:47 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Haven't changed too much, don't post my opinions and those whose opinions I don't want to read, I just hide their posts. As for what goes on in the world, I read the news. The bad news affects me less sober.
Old 08-14-2018, 08:47 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I dropped Facebook when I started this journey. I have insta gram, and sobergrid. Only positive allowed
Old 08-14-2018, 09:00 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

It's been helpful for my peace of mind to stay out of social media and politics. I keep up on my local/state news and take the rest with a grain of salt.