Notices

Can you use cannabis as a substitute for alcohol?

Old 08-12-2018, 11:33 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Can you use cannabis as a substitute for alcohol?

I have read studies that cannabis oil can be used for alcohol withdrawal. What do you all think of this idea is it good to substitute one substance for another after all some doctors prescribe benzodiazepines for alcohol withdrawal.
Old 08-12-2018, 11:48 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

I tapered using benzos (Valium), but in an INPATIENT setting. I failed miserably with trying it at home, even with my primary care physician. About 10 years ago a doc prescribed klonopin to get off alcohol. I ended up getting addicted to both.

Benzo tapers are usually used for someone in pretty severe withdrawal who would have risks for DTs and seizures and such. NOT ALWAYS.

Comparing benzos to cannabis in withdrawal management is not quite apt. Benzos work with similar GABA receptors as alcohol, using a benzo taper eases the withdrawal to minimize symptoms in a very direct way. I STRONGLY believe from my own experience that benzos are better utilized in a very controlled environment to manage withdrawal. You won't get this medical supervision with cannabis.

Cannabis helps calm some people and MIGHT blunt the symptoms of WD. I've heard mixed things. You should get the advice of a doctor, which I believe that anyone who is going to stop drinking should get if at all possible anyway.
Old 08-12-2018, 11:49 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

When doctors prescribe benzos for withdrawal, it's generally just for a few days. Just to get thru the initial anxiety and risk of seizures.

Since this is a recovery forum, no one is going to suggest you substitute cannabis for alcohol.
Old 08-12-2018, 01:08 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I would love to say yes, truly I would. But every time I try that, I end up being a daily weed smoker and abusing that too. Does it help you eat, sleep and relax the emotions when detoxing off alcohol? Oh hell yeah it does...then all of a sudden it's like throwing grains of sand over your shoulder...you stop and look behind you after a time, and there's a damn beach. And then you start pouring shots. That has been my experience at least.

Pills can be scary but using medication to taper off was what worked for me.
Old 08-12-2018, 03:00 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I don't know anything about the oil but I no matter what the substance I suggest folks get a professional medical opinion rather than self medicating.

Are you looking for yourself?

D
Old 08-12-2018, 03:38 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I use medical cannabis, it didn't really help with alcohol cravings and it didn't cause me to crave either.

It does help me with sleep.
Old 08-12-2018, 06:11 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Personally, I smoked plenty of pot over the years, but once I got high, I only wanted to drink. So, for me anyway I would say that using pot to quit drinking is like changing staterooms on the Titanic.
Old 08-12-2018, 06:56 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

Originally Posted by least View Post
When doctors prescribe benzos for withdrawal, it's generally just for a few days. Just to get thru the initial anxiety and risk of seizures.

Since this is a recovery forum, no one is going to suggest you substitute cannabis for alcohol.
My taper was 10 days, but I was also cross addicted to sleeping pills and had been drinking 25+ drinks a day around the clock for several weeks, and at least 20 for a month or two before that. Slower is usually better.

AGAIN, this was in an inpatient setting. It seems to me that in the UK they'll send you home with Librium or Valium and expect you to do it yourself. I would have eaten them all in the first day or so and continued to drink. In fact I pretty much did exactly that when I tried an outpatient taper.

YMMV. I'm pretty much a garbage head sedative addict. I've never met a non-narcotic downer I didn't love to death. Nearly literally at times.

What Dee said. Talk to a doctor.
Old 08-17-2018, 12:33 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

IMO- no
Old 08-17-2018, 06:09 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I use CBS oil on occasion. There is no effect of the mind, it is good when my rage is in full force.
Old 08-17-2018, 06:15 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

A reminder that giving specific medical advice, even for OTC supplements, is prohibited by site policy. Please see a doctor if you need it.

Last edited by ScottFromWI; 08-17-2018 at 06:53 AM.