Notices

114 days and still getting cravings.

Old 08-12-2018, 05:10 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

114 days and still getting cravings.

Hi all

Day 114 today. I've been doing well mostly. Except for one thing. The cravings have really not disappeared.

Sure I go days without thinking about it but then they come back hard. It's weird I went to the pub 3 times at work and had a great time drinking lemon lime bitters. But then the next week on night shift I lay in bed feeling a strong pull to go grab a six pack. Im back home again and have been having super realistic dreams about going to buy drinks.

I've even found myself thinking more and more about drinking again some time in the future. Or that it would not hurt just to drink socially.

I guess what I'm saying is that it sucks to be almost a third of the year in and still struggling with it. But then again I suppose that's what being an alcoholic means. Having to keep fighting.

That said changing the subject a bit, I was out with a mate today and he was talking about how turning 30 makes you reflect on your life. He had noticed that I'd made a whole bunch of minor improvements in how I was living life lately.

He said he had got stuck on all the negatives in his life and felt a bit at a loss/trapped. I couldn't say it to him(I'm sure you see why) but I thought to myself that dispite the challenges I face I've never actually been happier. And I suppose that not drinking has probably played a part in that.

I've still got a long way to go but I just thought I'd check in to share.
Old 08-12-2018, 09:33 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
quat

Congratulations on your decision, keep truckin'

It will help shorten that long way to go( AV bs btw) by knowing,not supposing( AV bs) that not boozing has most definitely, without a doubt, beyond question played a ( if not the role) , You Got This, rootin for ya
Old 08-12-2018, 10:15 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi AWald. Congrats on almost 4 months.

When it comes to how to ride them out I think some say cravings are just thoughts. Do you think at 114 days it may be especially so - just thoughts of having a drink because now you might be able to moderate and drink normally again?

I read Eric Clapton’s autobiography recently. After getting sober through rehab and staying sober for quite some time, it took one (protracted) relapse for him to realize that he could not moderate, and he then struggled to get sober for the second but last time.

For most of us here moderation has been an attractive yet unsustainable proposition.

Now might be the time to reenforce your decision to choose sobriety if, as I believe, that is what you choose.

I am glad that improvements in you life have become obvious from the outside and that it may relate, at least in part, to your sobriety.
Old 08-12-2018, 10:33 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You are get cravings because you imagine alcohol is the only to way to calm your mind. It is not, but learning other ways is not easy and it is going to take time to find them.
Old 08-12-2018, 03:15 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AWald88 View Post
Hi all

Day 114 today. I've been doing well mostly. Except for one thing. The cravings have really not disappeared.

Sure I go days without thinking about it but then they come back hard. It's weird I went to the pub 3 times at work and had a great time drinking lemon lime bitters. But then the next week on night shift I lay in bed feeling a strong pull to go grab a six pack. Im back home again and have been having super realistic dreams about going to buy drinks.

I've even found myself thinking more and more about drinking again some time in the future. Or that it would not hurt just to drink socially.

I guess what I'm saying is that it sucks to be almost a third of the year in and still struggling with it. But then again I suppose that's what being an alcoholic means. Having to keep fighting.

That said changing the subject a bit, I was out with a mate today and he was talking about how turning 30 makes you reflect on your life. He had noticed that I'd made a whole bunch of minor improvements in how I was living life lately.

He said he had got stuck on all the negatives in his life and felt a bit at a loss/trapped. I couldn't say it to him(I'm sure you see why) but I thought to myself that dispite the challenges I face I've never actually been happier. And I suppose that not drinking has probably played a part in that.

You can't get addicted to a substance or a behavior, unless you learn it does something for you.

What does getting drunk do for you?
Old 08-12-2018, 03:25 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

almost a third of a year is still very early in the recovery process...there is no magic date we achieve at which the symptoms of alcoholism disappear.

cravings happen. they just do. in most cases they last about 10-15 mins. which can seem like forever, but if we set a timer and keep ourselves busy or distracted, the cravings will dissipate before the timer goes off. there is no magic to making them GO AWAY, we simply ride them out and don't do anything stupid.

alcohol can't get into us unless we put forth action to make that happen. so don't DO that. lol
Old 08-12-2018, 03:32 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

You are still early in recovery, hang in there! The whole first year I had to focus on not drinking. It's a big adjustment but so worth it!
Old 08-12-2018, 03:48 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi AWald - congrats on your sober time. I dunno about you but I drank for years - so it was always going to take a little time for the cravings to die off.

There are some great tips and suggestions here:
https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...-cravings.html (CarolD's tips for cravings)

I also had to change my life a fair bit.

Going to pubs and wanting the cravings to die off are pretty much diametrically opposed, yeah?

I think sober support helps too.

I don't know what you're doing for your recovery besides posting here every so often but I do believe you'll get out of your recovery everything you put into it - put some more into it...more effort more focus more changes, more support.... see what happens?

D
Old 09-14-2018, 05:47 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi all thank for your thoughts. My apologies for not replying I actually didn't think I'd posted this as my phone was playing up that night.

On the posts on moderation: I haven't even been fooling myself about wanting to moderate my drinking if I was to drink again. My cravings take the form of let's just drink tonight and go back to not drinking tomorrow. Kind just wanting my cake and to eat it too.

On going to a pub and quitting be opposed to each other be diametrically opposed I both agree and disagree. For me going to pubs has never been an issue. I would in recent memory drink to moderation there and then get smashed alone. As such I can go the pub and have no desire to drink.
This is to such an extreme that sometimes if I'm craving a drink and I know friends are at the bar I'll go there to escape the craving. Werid right??

As to my recovery: I'm really doing very little of the traditional approaches like AA. I have been focusing on reading philosophy and contemplating how I am living which has helped a bit. I suppose I'm in a cage of my own making I'm too ashamed to admit to others that I have a problem. All the while I am hoping that I can find the strength to free myself.
Old 09-14-2018, 06:09 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I don't think you have to admit to others that you have a problem.

I just tell people I don't drink. If they knew me when I was drinking I say, "I stopped drinking. I feel so much better when I don't drink!" So far only a couple people asked any further questions and I just repeat the same thing, or something similar.

It's nobody's business.
Old 09-14-2018, 07:12 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi all

It's weird I went to the pub 3 times at work and had a great time drinking lemon lime bitters. But then the next week on night shift I lay in bed feeling a strong pull to go grab a six pack.
Anytime I'd be around drinking and abstain from it it would cause me to crave harder later.
Old 09-14-2018, 08:05 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

I still have cravings. They weakened at about 120-150 days or so, but I was doing a lot of cognitive work in outpatient rehab to work with cravings, as well as other things. I still have them, mostly centered around anxiety and self medicating.

It's good to have some sort of active recovery program. I used AA in early sobriety, but it really wasn't a good fit for me. I think the AVRT method was useful to me, and definitely cognitive and individual psychotherapy with a therapist that has experience with substance abuse treatment. There are a ton of secular recovery threads that talk about various alternatives to 12 Step programs.

Whatever you choose, I think that an active recovery program, in addition to your reading and posting on SR, is more likely to lead to continued sobriety. I think of it as insurance.
Old 09-14-2018, 03:20 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

how are the cravings now AWald?

D
Old 09-14-2018, 04:04 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi all thank for your thoughts. My apologies for not replying I actually didn't think I'd posted this as my phone was playing up that night.

On the posts on moderation: I haven't even been fooling myself about wanting to moderate my drinking if I was to drink again. My cravings take the form of let's just drink tonight and go back to not drinking tomorrow. Kind just wanting my cake and to eat it too.

On going to a pub and quitting be opposed to each other be diametrically opposed I both agree and disagree. For me going to pubs has never been an issue. I would in recent memory drink to moderation there and then get smashed alone. As such I can go the pub and have no desire to drink.
This is to such an extreme that sometimes if I'm craving a drink and I know friends are at the bar I'll go there to escape the craving. Werid right??

As to my recovery: I'm really doing very little of the traditional approaches like AA. I have been focusing on reading philosophy and contemplating how I am living which has helped a bit. I suppose I'm in a cage of my own making I'm too ashamed to admit to others that I have a problem. All the while I am hoping that I can find the strength to free myself.

Can I just say that I did just that last Saturday. I was at around 140 days sober, and practically had complete peace of mind and serenity. My anxiety had gone, I had no cravings, I didn't care less about drinking...BUT...I thought I'd go out and have a few drinks and then stop drinking again the next day. Unfortunately it doesn't quite work like that. I drank until I passed out, once I had a sip, I wanted lots more of it. I wanted to get completely drunk. The next day, all the anxiety and cravings came flooding back, and even though I resisted to drink, it was insanely tough, and you may not be so lucky, you might end up back to daily drinking very easily. It's now been 6 days sober and I am getting far more urges to drink than I did with 100+ days under my belt. Don't go there.
Old 09-14-2018, 05:27 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

It is crazy how my quit this time is way harder than the times before. I really feel like I don't want to tempt fate by starting again. I don't want it to be even worse or maybe never getting back to sober.
Old 09-14-2018, 09:03 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

If you want to get rid of cravings and improve your life, practice gratitude every day. Being grateful changed my life and my recovery for the better. And being grateful can make you happier.

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/22/o...pier.html?_r=0
Old 09-15-2018, 12:55 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thanks for the responses guys.

The Cravings are still coming and going but are at the moment quite low key.

As to gratitude: I try to greet each day with the thought that I am fortunate to have been given another day. And attempt to try to live as if it was my last. This helps but is not a cure all for me.
Old 09-15-2018, 01:08 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

It took me a long time not to crave at all, even tho the cravings got less and less in intensity.

It took me so long i think because I had so many reasons for drinking - emotional, physical, situational - it took me quite a long time to discover and implement non alcoholic solutions for all those things.

Sounds like you're on the right track tho - its a long road, but nowhere near as long as we each gave to drinking.

Stick with it

D
Old 09-15-2018, 02:47 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hi all

I think it would hurt if you tried to drink socially , your doin brilliant ! Why go backwards. When your so far ahead
Old 09-16-2018, 12:37 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

The cravings will disappear in time, your subconscious will shift its focus as becomes accustomed to drink not being an option.