Notices

Quitting smoking

Old 08-11-2018, 07:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Quitting smoking

Today is day 18 and im thinking about quitting smoking cigarettes. Is it wise to quit so early in sobriety? After work I often rush home to have a few cigarettes. It often takes my mind off of drinking and relaxes me a little. I dont know if taking that crutch away would increase my cravings for alcohol. A few months ago I was successful at quitting because I allowed myself to smoke those 45 days. Once I gave up smoking cigarettes I relapsed shortly after that. Every other time I attempted both at the same time I relapse within a few days. So right now Im at 18 days dry, but still smoking. I smoke about 4-7 a day. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old 08-11-2018, 08:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I think you pretty much answered your own question that it's not a good idea at this time. I would get yourself some solid footing on staying clean from alcohol, then move onto the smoking.
Old 08-11-2018, 09:04 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
under new management

My advice would be to NOT try to quit smoking this early in your sobriety.

Just focus on sobriety. One thing at a time.

Old 08-11-2018, 10:30 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I went back and forth. It was risky; I was in danger of drinking again. But it was also addict behavior.

I may never kill the nicotine addiction, even though I only smoked several a day like you. But I vape now. I know many say that is also bad and I’m by no means espousing it as something good for you. But I don’t feel the same as I did when I smoked - so there’s that.

For me staying sober was the most important thing, and I for whatever reason just couldn’t do both.
Old 08-11-2018, 10:37 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

If you're worried already about craving a drink...I'd wait! I had told myself I'd quit cigs at around a year sober,but here I am at around 19mo and say everyday "I need to quit smoking" and I do want to..it's just my last vice and I "need it?" I quit for a few months some years ago and the first 3days,similar to booze,were the hardest..then I had the "just one" while drinking and here I am 4yrs'ish later still smoking. But..even in my drinking days if I had to pick one..I would have picked cigs over booze. I smoked before I started drinking and I'm loyal?
Old 08-12-2018, 12:01 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I want to quit as well. Today is day 60 and I’m nervous about quitting but keep thinking, “hey, if I quit drinking I can totally quit smoking”! Not sure if it’s a good idea or a bad idea....
Old 08-12-2018, 01:41 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

16 months sober, still smoking (loyalty, that made me laugh), wish I wasn't, but not ready to put myself through that stress quite yet, sobriety way more important. As a smoker, I'm probably biased, but I sure wasn't strong enough at 18 days to even consider quitting...
Old 08-12-2018, 03:32 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

There is so much controversial opinion from the experts on quitting smoking as well as a drug of choice at the same time. Some say that you should do both as smoking just keeps the addictive behaviour and thinking neuropathways alive in the brain and others say tackle one thing at a time. For me I got 26 days sober earlier on this year, gave up smoking after 30 years of 20 a day and within 4 days I had replapsed back to drinking. I cannot say it was due to trying to do to much at once but I do feel it was a contributing factor amongst other things that were piling up unmanaged in my life.

I was white knuckling my recovery, not really following a plan, not going to AA meetings, not really changing anything other than I was just not drinking, if I was following a programme and sticking to it tackling all the stinking thinking that comes along with being an alcoholic maybe I would have been more successful, but white knuckling and laying another thing to give up on top of that took me straight back to the gutter.

I am 61 days sober today and really really want to stop smoking now, my breathing is terrible, I am so unfit with it, I am not enjoying it at all but I am really worried that it will be risking my sobriety. I am 2 weeks out of a 2 months rehab and following a well thought out recovery plan, using tools I learned to process emotions, exercising and doing a lot of self-care, going to meetings this time. I am very torn on what to do, but for now one thing I do know is that my sobriety from alcohol has to come first, anything that puts that in danger is a no-no for me right now. Not sure I have been much help here to be honest but I do understand xx
Old 08-12-2018, 06:45 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I decided to cut down to 4 a day for a while and revisit this decision later (6month) I think its not a good ideal to quit completely. One in morning before work, 3 after work. I never smoke at work anyways. Thanks guys
Old 08-12-2018, 07:12 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

keep it simple, keep it safe, keep it sober.
Old 08-12-2018, 11:02 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

I quit smoking in 2009 a year to the day after my father died of lung cancer. It was a 20+ year pack a day habit, more on heavy drinking days. It was a bear to quit, but I did it with Chantix. Got sober May 9 2017, and picked up smoking a few days later when I was in inpatient rehab, immediately back to that pack a day habit.

I decided not to worry about it, nor my weight. One thing at a time. In August I started outpatient. They STRONGLY advised against quitting smoking in early sobriety, it's a HUGE trigger to relapse on your DOC. A few weeks into outpatient (8 weeks total program) I ran out of cigs one morning and decided to get another pack later. Well, later just never came. I also started dieting and the gym that week, and managed to lose 50 pounds and build a nice amount of muscle. I think that quitting rather easily partially stemmed from my being on Wellbutrin for depression issues, which has been used as a smoking cessation aid. Anyway, by waiting, I was able to quit smoking, start an exercise program, lose weight and get back the body that I wanted. This was about 120 days sober, and I had really strong support at the time in the form of daily outpatient therapy, including CBT groups, individual psychodynamic therapy and a psychiatrist for medical/mental health issues (my IOP was dual diagnosis).

Please take it easy on yourself. As you've always relapsed on alcohol when you've tried to quit smoking too early in your sobriety, you've already answered your own question. Your first and only priority at this point in your life is your sobriety, there is no reason to risk it with any additional stress, particularly one that has always triggered drinking in the past!
Old 08-12-2018, 11:29 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

It all depends on the person the last time I quit alcohol, I waited for a month of sobriety and then, I quit smoking this lasted 18 months.Here I am again on day 2 no drink or smoke but now I am using Cannabis oil to see can this be my substitute for them both.Good luck what ever you decide.
Old 08-12-2018, 04:43 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

A therapist in rehab told me that smoking while cutting off drinking was still being in addiction. He called it cross addiction and said that cigarettes were as addictive as crack cocaine. I have never tried crack but the therapist had, he was a recovered addict, he had tried pretty much everything. I don't worry about smoking right now, it helps me to stay off alcohol, but I only smoke 2-3 a day and allow myself that. They are very strong cigarettes though, even to have half a one gives me a buzz. Patch or vaping did nothing for me. But we are all different and every doctor will tell you to quit smoking.
Old 08-12-2018, 05:01 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

18 days is very early. If I had to choose between the two i would smoke. You ever tried vaping? Like a real vape not one of those gas station things they call vapes.
Old 08-12-2018, 05:50 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

Originally Posted by icewater1961 View Post
A therapist in rehab told me that smoking while cutting off drinking was still being in addiction. He called it cross addiction and said that cigarettes were as addictive as crack cocaine. I have never tried crack but the therapist had, he was a recovered addict, he had tried pretty much everything. I don't worry about smoking right now, it helps me to stay off alcohol, but I only smoke 2-3 a day and allow myself that. They are very strong cigarettes though, even to have half a one gives me a buzz. Patch or vaping did nothing for me. But we are all different and every doctor will tell you to quit smoking.
True, nicotine is fiercely addictive, but the consequences for smoking are more health related and socially acceptable. Nobody lost a drivers license to smoking, and rarely a job or a partner.

I also became a sugar addict in early recovery.

Both things were far easier to attack one at a time and give up than was my drug(s) of choice.

I know people who have managed to stop both habits at the same time, and one person that stayed sober after that attempt. Most that I've known through my sober journey have failed when they've tried to quit too early.

It is possible, but from my experience, I wouldn't recommend it. Just too freaking hard, and when the two addictions are coupled, it's too easy to get a case of the eff-its if you lose the cigarette battle.

Again, I did both, but not at the same time.