Notices

Ok, so I'm a weener...

Old 08-10-2018, 05:21 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Ok, so I'm a weener...

Talked to my therapist today and told him how the last 2 weeks have gone. Told him I found this site and decided to stop drinking whiskey... slowly. Due to my other health issues, my PCP suggested I taper and monitor my bp and blood sugar while doing so to make sure I don't kill myself by quitting cold turkey. Also, I wanted to work with the therapist to delve deeper into the reasons why I have addiction issues in general. I don't want to be a dry drunk and I don't want to trade one addiction for another.

So, I'm setting small goals... yeah, them baby steps are a steppin'. After joining this forum 2 weeks ago, I decided to break the pattern of rolling out of bed and starting my day with a cup of Irish coffee. It was so automatic for me because I've been rolling out of bed and drinking coffee of any kind since I was 16. For almost 2 weeks now, I've started my day with fruit or vege juice and this forum. I only work 4 days a week, so I don't drink before 6 pm on my off days.

My therapist and I talked about how much stress I lost from not having to go into work with the smell of booze on my breath. Also, I feel better physically because I've cut my consumption by at least 1/3. It's not only an exercise in breaking a pattern, but a study in juxtaposition... I can compare and contrast my moods and emotions when I spend the bulk of my day sober vs a small amount of time drinking.

In the next 2 weeks, I'm going to take at least 2 random nights off from drinking entirely... one of them during the work week and one of them on the weekend... and break those patterns as well. I'm loving this process because I get to think through this stuff and then bounce my thoughts and feelings off my therapist.

All of this work is just a precursor to my first appointment with a psychiatrist at the end of the month. My therapist and I can tackle all of the cognitive, social, and environmental parts of my condition, but I'm pretty sure my brain chemistry may be out of adjustment, so I'm tackling that part with a psychiatrist.

So yeah, I'm a weener... and proud of it!
Old 08-10-2018, 05:23 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

That sounds excellent, Karl.
Old 08-10-2018, 09:55 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

That's karltheweener to you Gilmer.
Old 08-10-2018, 09:57 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

keepatitkarl