Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

For us newbies - the importance of replacing alcohol with something(s)...

Notices

Old 08-09-2018, 09:05 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Reflecting on what is different this time for me in my last, final and successful attempt to get and stay sober, I think that really putting energy and time into REPLACING alcohol has been crucial.

As a drunk I spent so much time and energy, mental and physical and spiritual, prostrating on the altar of my addiction to alcohol. Whether it was the time spent drunk, the hours and days spent barely able to stand in my hangovers, the planning/hiding/cheating/lying/covering-up = there was just a huge part of my life, perhaps even a large majority, spent on alcohol.

In putting down the poison for good, I think it's been so important to focus and explore and spend time on the things I can and want to replace alcohol with. I have mornings now, and afternoons and hours in between. Evenings are pretty damn nice too. Even waking up in the middle of the night, sans the anxious panic, is pretty great.

For me it's my health and fitness. It's also been therapy and exploring who I may want to be, finally, now that I have the energy and time and mental acuity to be able to try and be someone other than a lying, pos, deceitful drunk. Of course time with my family and working on my career have also been huge parts of my sobriety.

It could be AA, it could be knitting or scuba diving or anything for others. But I know, and I want to continue to make my best efforts to ensure, to fill the time I now have that I am sober with meaningful things that give me satisfaction and calm.

So lucky to be sober. Need to take advantage of that luck and not ever take it for granted.
Old 08-09-2018, 09:14 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by lessgravity View Post
to fill the time I now have that I am sober with meaningful things that give me satisfaction and calm.
...and a sense of fulfillment that was sorely lacking in my life.

We might be lucky, but I notice the harder I work, the luckier I get.
Old 08-09-2018, 11:58 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Good post less.

One of the best things for me about recovery and being sober is that I get to choose what I do! I can do yoga, I can drive wherever, I can come up with a fun date night, the list is endless. And I WANT to do things!
Old 08-09-2018, 12:59 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Agree, also I think initially, its quite daunting how much time you actually spent drinking and things associated with it.

Do you think people that attend meeting vigorously, are in esscence, swapping one addiction for another?
Old 08-09-2018, 01:11 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Keto View Post
Agree, also I think initially, its quite daunting how much time you actually spent drinking and things associated with it.

Do you think people that attend meeting vigorously, are in esscence, swapping one addiction for another?
Whatever the swap is, if the new time spent is meaningful, productive and sober then I don't judge at all. I can imagine being very into the meetings, much as I do not go.
Old 08-09-2018, 04:41 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I tried for years to replace my addiction with stuff...but I just ended up busy and drunk.

Its been a revelation for me to work on healing the void within me rather than filling it with materials or things to do.

Don't get me wrong... keeping busy and productive helps and I love living with purpose...

but for me it was the the metaphysical changes that get into the corners the others can't reach
Old 08-09-2018, 06:44 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Great post. Thank you for sharing your thoughts. Just a little over three weeks into my journey, and I'm beginning to come to the conclusion that I can't just have a void in the evening. I need to create new habits and find new things to do with non-drinking people.
Old 08-09-2018, 07:01 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I now focus my former drinking energy on the care and love I give my dogs and cats. I pet them a lot and they are very loving, which gives my home a peaceful atmosphere.