one decision

Old 08-04-2018, 12:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

one decision

I hope everyone is having a great day. I'm marvelling at the power in one decision. By deciding that I am not a drinker, and that I will never drink again, I have opened the door to so many choices. I can go for a run, a bike ride, a swim. I can head to the gym. I can hop in my car on the spur of the moment and head off wherever I want/need to. I can read a book, or tune in to a movie, without worry that I won't remember it the next day. I can be a good friend to anyone who needs me, and I'll also have the self-awareness not to get pulled into the drama of someone who may not be a good addition to my life. I can post on social media if I choose, without the dread of waking up the next morning and wondering what I might have said. Basically, I have the opportunity, because of that ONE decision to do myriad things. If I had chosen to drink, my remaining choices would pretty much be limited to worrying about when the liquor store closed, and if I had enough booze to stave off being sick until I had the chance to get there.
The best thing about this decision? It is mine. No one else can make it for me, and no one can take it away from me.
Old 08-04-2018, 12:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

That's great! it's such a relief to have that burden lifted!!
Day 106
Old 08-04-2018, 01:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Keep it going, Apollo!
Old 08-13-2018, 01:40 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I like that freedom too.
I particularly like the freedom to interact with neighbours or people in local shops with my head held high. I've never been short of confidence but I used to sometimes wonder what people thought of me when they could smell booze from me in the middle of the day. And I MUST have sounded drunk a lot of the time. You can't drink a couple of bottles of wine before afternoon and act sober, regardless of what lies I told myself!