Notices

Day 17

Old 08-04-2018, 05:08 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 17

Since stopping I am getting decent periods of feeling calm and relaxed. When drinking I only get that feeling when I first start drinking and then gone I am just drunk.

Enjoying going to different AA meetings in the evening.

I think in context of my day to day life, working from home and spending 90% of my time on my own. Drinking doesn't actually offer too much to me. I prefer the sober chilled feeling, just sit at peace.

My head is worrying about social situations! FFS crazy, I don't do social situations I drink on my own, mostly to oblivion.

Best wishes to all.
Old 08-04-2018, 05:38 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey, I've been following some of your posts so far and just want to really compliment you on how much you are owning this and active in educating yourself, reflecting, etc..

I tend to believe those are really good signs. At the least it's similar to the approach I've taken so maybe that's why I find it endearing.

At any rate - kudos! I appreciate your thoughtfulness in your posts.

As for the social stuff - yea I can relate. In the past 5+ months I've largely limited myself to work and home. I too spend a lot of time to myself. Which isn't new for me, and doesn't really bother me. I enjoy being alone.

But as I consider the social life that I do want to create for myself I'm finding that what I envision is changing. The longer I stay sober the less interest I have in returning to old places. I consider it a gift really that I have reduced my social footprint to a handful of people I know really get me and really enrich my life. It provides a tabula rasa for me. The social life I create will be fresh. I'll be deliberate. I'll explore. And I'm finding this period of reflection and healing is giving me some pretty good vision for where the boundaries are going to be for what I engage in and what I accept in my life.

It'll be an adventure. And will require some exploration. But I'm looking forward to it. And I largely get to do it on my terms.

There's no hurry. Self-compassion and self-reliance first. A solid foundation of sober muscle first... etc. etc.

B
Old 08-05-2018, 01:56 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
SWB

That’s awesome Gerald, I’m right behind you at day 16. We got this.
Old 08-05-2018, 02:42 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

way to go on your progress Gerard.
D
Old 08-05-2018, 02:58 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Good for you Gerard. It's great when you start to enjoy the nice chilled out days.

The sober social stuff tripped me up a few times. mainly thinking that I would never manage and imagining situationations months away that would be too difficult to handle. It was my AV creeping in saying that if that was going to be hard and I was going to fail, then I might as well drink now! Be aware of that. That sucker will try and trip you up.

Congratulations on your 17 days!
Old 08-05-2018, 03:17 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gerard52 View Post
Since stopping I am getting decent periods of feeling calm and relaxed. When drinking I only get that feeling when I first start drinking and then gone I am just drunk.

Enjoying going to different AA meetings in the evening.

I think in context of my day to day life, working from home and spending 90% of my time on my own. Drinking doesn't actually offer too much to me. I prefer the sober chilled feeling, just sit at peace.

My head is worrying about social situations! FFS crazy, I don't do social situations I drink on my own, mostly to oblivion.

Best wishes to all.
That's great news and congrats on 17 days! I'm very much like you. I work from home, spend 90% of my time alone, hate social situations. Do you have aspergers by any chance? I do.
Old 08-05-2018, 04:06 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 16YearsDrunk View Post
That's great news and congrats on 17 days! I'm very much like you. I work from home, spend 90% of my time alone, hate social situations. Do you have aspergers by any chance? I do.
I don't have aspergers, but as I get older I have less enthusiasm for social situations.
Old 08-05-2018, 04:08 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I have also listened to your posts Gerard- great thoughtfulness and start to sobriety.

For me, I had to put social concerns, outside events, rebuilding friendships, everything on the back burner for a pretty good while.

I didn't quite get it at first when my first sponsor in AA to,d me No Was a Complete Sentence. To anything and everything. I had to trust that though, bc staying sober was my top priority. It actually took a lot of pressure off me that I thought would be there, and erring on the side of caution was always the better choice...even when I looked back and thought yeah, I would have been fine doing that.i just decided that anyone who didn't like my choices to pass on things didn't get it and I couldn't worry about them,

Not always easy- sometimes I spent awhile "thinking through" this stuff, as Dee, outonthetiles, and the others from our Class of Feb 2016 supported me through! In the end, I learned and stayed sober.

Keep going and stick with us- you can do this.
Old 08-05-2018, 04:16 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

August252015, I have read your posts as well and what you write makes a lot of sense. You are in a good place in your recovery and it is great that you are passing that on.
Old 08-05-2018, 04:22 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

My pleasure. I definitely have strong feelings about my path and have also learned a whole lot from folks with others that work for them. IMO any single person who needs to get sober and stay that way is a victor, however they d it. I would wish my life or those of folks around here who live a good path on anyone.