Panic attacks

Old 08-01-2018, 11:13 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Panic attacks

Anyone else have panic attacks in the middle of the night? I have so much anxiety from my "qualifier."

It sucks
Old 08-02-2018, 07:50 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

When I was still w/my XAH I had them all the time. Meditation and deep breathing is all I can say. Other than that, removing the reason you are having them is what ultimately worked for me!
Old 08-02-2018, 10:02 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

When I was still with my AXH, IF I managed to fall asleep, which wasn't often or for long, thanks to anxiety induced insomnia.... I'd have horrible nightmares and wake up in a panic, feeling like I was unable to breathe, with pains in my chest, heart racing a mile a minute, drenched in sweat with muscle cramps/spasms all over my body... of course my mind would be frazzled as well

I was never really sure if the underlying anxiety caused the nightmares that caused the panic attacks... or if the physical anxiety symptoms started, thus causing the nightmares... didn't matter though.. it SUCKED either way. Especially since lack of adequate sleep increases anxiety. Very vicious circle.

My anxiety went away when I untangled my life from his chaotic dysfunction

I didn't listen to my instincts for years, I think in my case, my anxiety was my body's way of "smacking" some sense in to me since I hadn't been paying attention to the more gentle approaches... it worked... I listened.. I didn't want to have anxiety attacks any more so I started listening to my gut again, that lead me down the very bumpy, twisty-turny road of getting myself well again.

It wasn't easy but it was well worth it.
Old 08-02-2018, 01:43 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

The problem with being around addicts is that we become sensitized to knowing that no matter how OK things might seem, its only a matter of time before the other shoe drops.

The constant drama sets us up to be hyper vigilant. And that takes a toll on a person over time. Meditation and deep breathing help. But the first thing to go when you are around addicts is restful sleep. And restful sleep is what is needed to remain resilient and have one's wits about one.

Even after a person disengages from the drama, it takes some time to thaw out. And it only takes a phone call from an addict to trigger the same punch in the gut that can start it all again.

As others have said - consider distancing yourself and learning to take care of you. As long as the addict is in your life, you can expect varying degrees of anxiety that build up over time. (Unless they are in active, full recovery)

Prayers you find freedom and peace,
Old 08-03-2018, 03:22 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you all for your insight and suggestions!