Notices

Is recovery reliant on hitting rock bottom?

Old 08-01-2018, 02:10 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Is recovery reliant on hitting rock bottom?

I'm just wondering as the thought has crossed my mind lately that the only way to escape this is to hit the bottom and work my way back up.
Old 08-01-2018, 02:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Not as an excuse, you understand. I just mean everything else has failed to work.
Old 08-01-2018, 02:11 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I quit while I was ahead.

I'd encourage everyone to do the same.
Old 08-01-2018, 02:15 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

No. That is a big lie our addictive voice tells us so that we keep on drinking because it can always be worse. You get to decide when!

Now is the time!
Old 08-01-2018, 02:22 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

heres something from the big book of AA- the prelude to the second set of stories:

They Stopped in Time
Among today’s incoming A.A. members, many have never reached the advanced stages of alcoholism, though given time all might have.

Most of these fortunate ones have had little or no acquaintance with delirium, with hospitals, asylums, and jails. Some were drinking heavily, and there had been occasional serious episodes. But with many, drinking had been little more than a sometimes uncontrollable nuisance. Seldom had any of these lost either health, business, family, or friends.

Why do men and women like these join A.A.?

The seventeen who now tell their experiences answer that question. They saw that they had become actual or potential alcoholics, even though no serious harm had yet been done.
They realized that repeated lack of drinking control, when they really wanted control, was the fatal symptom that spelled problem drinking. This, plus mounting emotional disturbances, convinced them that compulsive alcoholism already had them; that complete ruin would be only a question of time.

Seeing this danger, they came to A.A. They realized that in the end alcoholism could be as mortal as cancer; certainly no sane man would wait for a malignant growth to become fatal before seeking help.
Old 08-01-2018, 02:27 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

What's rock bottom? For some rock bottom is drinking every night when they get home and bit more on the weekends and are disgusted with themselves. For others its homeless on the street drinking wine out of a paper bag. So I think its relative.

But like others have said, there is no reason to fall as far as you can before you start to build yourself back up. Stop the elevator from going down right now.
  # 7 (permalink)  

Simple answer is no, but it is an option.
  # 8 (permalink)  
totfit

A bottom is just where someone stops drinking. There is only one true bottom and that is 6 feet in a hole and we don't want to wait for that one. My "bottom" was not as bad as earlier in my drinking history in which I went through about everything. I think my bottom was a final realization that drinking for me was just nonsense.
Old 08-01-2018, 02:32 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Rock bottoms are relative and you can always break through to the next one. But yes I think a motivating event or circumstance is needed before you are willing to change.
Old 08-01-2018, 02:34 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

You can decide what your rock bottom is.
Old 08-01-2018, 02:35 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by newme11 View Post
I just mean everything else has failed to work.
I suspect if you actually listed all the things you have tried, it would not be 'everything'.

It is a tough, grueling, miserable struggle to break the cycle. I was often frustrated.

Keep trying anyway.

Best of Luck on Your Journey!
Old 08-01-2018, 02:38 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

I don't like the term "rock bottom."

I prefer to think that many quit drinking/using when the consequences become intolerable and are clearly related to drink/drugs.

It's like the stock market. Buy at the bottom. But how do you know you are AT the bottom?
Old 08-01-2018, 03:11 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

For me, I didn't hit "rock bottom"... I simply realized that my behavior was destructive and needed to improve... Destructive to my health, well being, bank account, etc. That starts happening before someone hits their lowest potential point, whatever it may be.
Old 08-01-2018, 04:02 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Rock bottom need not be an event - it can be a decision not to live your life that way anymore for a single second.

Not to be morbid but I've known people from this site who waited for their rock bottom event - but death came first.

I still miss them.

The AV would like nothing more than to have us paralysed with indecision.

Make a decision
D
Old 08-01-2018, 04:16 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Vietnam Vet

Originally Posted by tomsteve View Post
heres something from the big book of AA- the prelude to the second set of stories:

They Stopped in Time
Among today’s incoming A.A. members, many have never reached the advanced stages of alcoholism, though given time all might have.

Most of these fortunate ones have had little or no acquaintance with delirium, with hospitals, asylums, and jails. Some were drinking heavily, and there had been occasional serious episodes. But with many, drinking had been little more than a sometimes uncontrollable nuisance. Seldom had any of these lost either health, business, family, or friends.

Why do men and women like these join A.A.?

The seventeen who now tell their experiences answer that question. They saw that they had become actual or potential alcoholics, even though no serious harm had yet been done.
They realized that repeated lack of drinking control, when they really wanted control, was the fatal symptom that spelled problem drinking. This, plus mounting emotional disturbances, convinced them that compulsive alcoholism already had them; that complete ruin would be only a question of time.

Seeing this danger, they came to A.A. They realized that in the end alcoholism could be as mortal as cancer; certainly no sane man would wait for a malignant growth to become fatal before seeking help.

Touch all the bases because you just hit a home run!

I was far from hitting the "rock bottom". I was a bonafide gym rat four days per week and played golf the other three. Everybody always commented on how there was no way I could be 67 years old. I looked good on the outside however on the inside I knew my organs had taken a pounding over the many decades of what I would say as a functioning alcoholic. Sure there were times when I would drink myself into a stupor however the last few years even my wife said she was surprised at how much alcohol I had cut out of my life. I wasn't feeling good on the inside and knew my time had come. I was sitting in my swing in the backyard and an overpowering urge came to me to put it down for good. I look good on the outside and I'm starting to feel good on the inside now. I love the new me and my goal here forth is to help other alcoholics to recover. I'm giving myself one year and then I really really want to be a sponsor in AA.
Old 08-01-2018, 04:23 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

My 'rock bottom' was just being sick of waking up every morning feeling like hell, hating myself, and wishing I was dead.

I don't think you have to hit bottom to improve your life. Make a plan to get and stay sober and work it like your life depends on it - cause it does.
Old 08-01-2018, 04:28 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

sort of....

it's reliant on you DECIDING that you've hit rock bottom and don't wish to experience a further rock bottom....
Old 08-01-2018, 04:55 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I was drinking more and more, nowhere near the amounts some folks report but enough that near the end of the work day I was really, really looking forward to that first drink. That wasn't acceptable to me.

Could I have kept drinking, lost my job, maybe my house?

Sure, but why?
Old 08-01-2018, 05:30 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I used to work in the field of hospice. It wasn't until then that I realized how many people die from alcohol related illnesses. Like Dee said, rock bottom might be too late.
Old 08-01-2018, 05:35 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

In my brief stint in AA one of the most powerful lessons was the word "yet."

"I haven't gotten a DUI. Yet."

"I haven't lost a job. Yet."

"I've never been homeless. Yet."

You get the idea.

If you keep drinking or using, "Yet" will happen. Addiction is progressive, plus luck runs out.

I was in pretty bad shape, required medical detox, woke up in rehab not quite remembering how I got there, and probably in the initial stages of wet brain...bullet dodged on that one.

I stopped because I could no longer deny that I couldn't control my drinking and my life had become unmanageable.

I stayed sober to avoid the "Yets."