Notices

A different kind of party

Old 07-30-2018, 04:02 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A different kind of party

So I turned 40 on Saturday and the blood moon eclipse brought in my birthday. I'm about a year and half abstinent, so I decided to throw a small get together, but I decided it would be a different kind of party than I used to throw where we'd all still be carrying on into the next day and driving my poor neighbours crazy. This year I decided to invite everyone's children as well, I figured I'd ask everyone to arrive in the afternoon and that by the time the kids would be getting cranky would also be the time the adults were getting tipsy, so they could all pack up their kids and leave at a reasonable hour. It worked! We had a lovely afternoon BBQ and all the kids had fun and then around 9 or 10 everyone took their kids home to bed. Drunk me hated having kids around, even my own, but abstinent me loves kids and found it to be a joy to have my house full of them, even if I did use them a little bit as a shield to protect me from having a house full of my drunk friends and family haha. This was my first time entertaining at my home since I quit. I used to love throwing parties here, my neighbours used to call the police on me at least once a summer over noise complaints. I'll tell ya, they sure are happy that I quit drinking!

Anyways, life is good. I still say quitting drinking was the best thing I've ever done for myself. And it just keeps getting better. There are hard parts too, like realizing how badly I was affecting my children and valuing the wrong things, but I believe in redemption and second chances and now I get to go into the second half of my life with that monkey off my back and a new set of values to make it right. Watching them change and gradually relax as they came to trust that I really had quit has been bittersweet for me. Bitter because I had to take off the blinders and see what my old behaviour had done, and sweet because my new behaviour was affecting all these new positive changes. I was impressed with my mom at my party, she is ground zero for my addiction and I was worried about her drinking in front of me, but she stayed sober, a gesture I really appreciated. Even at 40 the actions of my mother affect me.

All we really have is today and all we can do is life the best life we can live in each moment. For anyone reading this who is still struggling or sitting on the fence about whether or not to quit, just go for it! Today is a good to quit. You deserve it and you have what it takes inside you to do it.
Old 07-30-2018, 04:09 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

That’s fantastic! Happy belated birthday!
Old 07-30-2018, 04:34 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Lovely.

Thanks for sharing. And happy belated belly-button birthday x
Old 07-30-2018, 05:05 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Happy Birthday. Glad you had a great party and that your supportive mom was there for you too. Sounds like it was a great way to celebrate turning 40!
Old 07-30-2018, 05:43 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

What a wonderful way to celebrate. Thank you for sharing!
Old 07-30-2018, 05:51 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Happy Birthday!
Old 07-30-2018, 06:07 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

How wonderful for your mother to come through to support you. I'm glad you had a lovely birthday!
Old 07-30-2018, 06:43 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BillieJean1 View Post
So I turned 40 on Saturday and the blood moon eclipse brought in my birthday. I'm about a year and half abstinent, so I decided to throw a small get together, but I decided it would be a different kind of party than I used to throw where we'd all still be carrying on into the next day and driving my poor neighbours crazy. This year I decided to invite everyone's children as well, I figured I'd ask everyone to arrive in the afternoon and that by the time the kids would be getting cranky would also be the time the adults were getting tipsy, so they could all pack up their kids and leave at a reasonable hour. It worked! We had a lovely afternoon BBQ and all the kids had fun and then around 9 or 10 everyone took their kids home to bed. Drunk me hated having kids around, even my own, but abstinent me loves kids and found it to be a joy to have my house full of them, even if I did use them a little bit as a shield to protect me from having a house full of my drunk friends and family haha. This was my first time entertaining at my home since I quit. I used to love throwing parties here, my neighbours used to call the police on me at least once a summer over noise complaints. I'll tell ya, they sure are happy that I quit drinking!

Anyways, life is good. I still say quitting drinking was the best thing I've ever done for myself. And it just keeps getting better. There are hard parts too, like realizing how badly I was affecting my children and valuing the wrong things, but I believe in redemption and second chances and now I get to go into the second half of my life with that monkey off my back and a new set of values to make it right. Watching them change and gradually relax as they came to trust that I really had quit has been bittersweet for me. Bitter because I had to take off the blinders and see what my old behaviour had done, and sweet because my new behaviour was affecting all these new positive changes. I was impressed with my mom at my party, she is ground zero for my addiction and I was worried about her drinking in front of me, but she stayed sober, a gesture I really appreciated. Even at 40 the actions of my mother affect me.

All we really have is today and all we can do is life the best life we can live in each moment. For anyone reading this who is still struggling or sitting on the fence about whether or not to quit, just go for it! Today is a good to quit. You deserve it and you have what it takes inside you to do it.
Congratulations! Sounds like a great time was had by all . Happy birthday 🎂
Old 07-30-2018, 11:12 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Beautiful and inspiring post. Thank you!
Old 07-30-2018, 12:55 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
under new management

Happy 40th

I love your party idea and glad it went as planned.

I am sure my downstairs neighbours are wondering why it is so quiet upstairs now
Old 07-30-2018, 05:17 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Happy Birthday BJ

D
Old 07-31-2018, 12:29 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thank you that was very smart.