Notices

Hello!

Old 07-30-2018, 02:24 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello!

This is a big step for me, admitting I have a problem with alcohol. I drink probably 4 evenings a week, and around 4 to 5 glasses of wine each time. Sometimes I'm OK the next day, but then other days like today I feel awful - anxious, tired, tearful. I've tried so many times to sort my drinking out but I always fall off the wagon. So I've decided that it would be easier if I came on a site such as this and to share the experience with others - things are always better with support.

So I'm going to call this Day 1, although not sure what my end goal is. Any advice very gratefully received, and then I'm hoping I'll be able to help others further down the line. Thank you!
Old 07-30-2018, 03:05 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Glad you are here! Stopping when concerns are piling up is a good idea, and like you said, for today. An end goal of total abstinence might make itself clear- for my husband he decided on an initial One Year Plan of total life habit make over, in life. Around two-three months in he realiz d and accepted that he was an alcoholic and has been sober since.

A great place here that many of useoined is the Class of July, for you- the month we quit or are considering it has a group for people in our same time oat, if you will. Go to Newcomers Daily Support Threads and post to join!

Hoe you stay with us- there is a lot of wisdom and tons of support in SR.
Old 07-30-2018, 03:31 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome aboard threevowels3

D
Old 07-30-2018, 03:32 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Welcome to SR!
My advice is to figure out your end goal. It makes it so much easier to know when you reach your goal if you know what it is!

I never once fell off the wagon. I always jumped off.

Best of Luck on Your Journey!
Old 07-30-2018, 03:56 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you!

Support already - thank you all for your replies, and this is just way I joined the site, to know I'm not alone. Yes, I think I need a goal of some sort although currently a year seems like an eternity without alcohol. But one step at a time and let's see where I get to. I only drink in the evening so will be ok for several more hours yet, but realise how much of my time is spent with thinking about when my next drink will be. Ridiculous.
Old 07-30-2018, 03:59 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

WELCOME 3W! Cruise around the newcomer's threads..there is a lot there on offer.
Support to you.
Old 07-30-2018, 07:34 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by Threevowels3 View Post
...how much of my time is spent with thinking about when my next drink will be.
That is EXACTLY why I stopped completely. One of my earlier goals was to get drunk just once a quarter. I had long since given up any pretense of normal drinking. I was going to get drunk - but if I only did it 3 or 4 times a year, that can't be considered a problem, right? No one could really complain about a quarterly bender as long as I wasn't doing anything else stupid at the same time (like driving or picking fights or something...). So I set off to reach my goal of 3 or 4 benders a year, because that won't cause a problem.

What I found was that I spent nearly all my waking hours planning my next drunk. Obsessing on it, really. Where would I go? What would I drink? How long could I keep the party rolling?

That might not be a drinking problem, but it ain't living. I didn't really start living until I decided to give it up entirely. Then I could use my time to think about things other than my next drink.

Best of Luck on Your Journey!
Old 07-30-2018, 07:45 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family! You'll find lots of support here.
Old 07-30-2018, 07:51 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi there Threevowels3, welcome.

J