Notices

Old 07-29-2018, 09:58 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello is anyone in the San Gabriel valley area ? I can use all the support I can . I have never attended a support group including A.A. I would like some feedback regarding local meetings
Old 07-30-2018, 12:11 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm in Australia
Looks like you have a pretty organised local AA network tho

San Gabriel Valley and Pomona Valley Alcoholics Anonymous Meeting Directory for Pasadena AA Monterey Park Alcoholics Anonymous AA Ontario Alcoholics Anonymous AA Pasadena Alcoholics Anonymous AA Pomona Alcoholics Anonymous AA Rancho Alcoholics Anonym
D
Old 07-30-2018, 01:27 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Why not contact them. They know it's tough to attend your first meeting (after all, every single on of them did it) and will be happy to answer any questions you have.

San Gabriel / Pomona Valley Central Service Office849 E. Route 66 Suite D, Glendora CA 917409:00 AM to 5:00 PM, Mon - Friday and 10:00 AM to 2:00 PM Saturday24-Hour Telephone Lines - Main: (626) [email protected]

If you are worried and have a friend or family member you could get then to come along with you to any meeting that isn't marked as closed.

Are there specific concerns or questions you have, or are you just wanting to know they are safe and not full of nutters?

BB
Old 07-30-2018, 03:09 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Support

I believe I am concerned if the possibility of there being “nutters “ there but most of all I think it’s shame and fear. I am embarrassed and sad to have to admit my problem.
Old 07-30-2018, 03:33 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Support

Thank you for taking the time to find this resource . I do appreciate that.
Where are you in your recovery ? Do you atten A.A. meetings regularly?
Old 07-30-2018, 04:16 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm 4 years and 4 months sober, and have been attending AA regularly since I was one month sober and realised that even once the drinking was removed, I still had my thinking to contend with. Like you say, that shame about drinking and where it led me (an otherwise intelligent woman with, to all appearances, everything going for me). Plus lots of resentments and rage and sadness that I'd been carrying around for decades that got real burdensome when I wasn't taking those drunken time-outs from shouldering them.

AA is run BY alcoholics, FOR alcoholics. Every single member will have felt that shame, fear and hopelessness that you're currently feeling. They will understand, and be able to help.

Likelihood is that you'd enjoy some meetings more than others, and which we enjoy or don't changes as we grow in recovery , and of course meetings change over time as well. My own home group has doubled in size since I first attended, and that has meant that some folk who prefer a smaller, quieter meeting have opted to go elsewhere for now. And that's fine.

I can't tell from your forum name if you're a make or female, but for instance some women are most comfortable at women only meetings . That's not something that worries me. I just like a meeting with strong recovery in attendance to learn from, and there be a good focus on recovery rather then lots of drunk-a-logues. The only way you'll know if it suits you, and which meetings suit you would be to go along. If you call the local number and have a chat that will likely out you more at ease, and you may even be able to meet someone prior to the meeting which is always helpful.

BB
Old 07-30-2018, 04:24 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 2620Arcad View Post
I believe I am concerned if the possibility of there being “nutters “
in all honesty, yeah, youll prolly find a few nutters in AA. we dont come into AA examples of mental and emotional healthy people. you'll find people at all phases of recovery.
and what a blessing to see them at a place to get help!
you'll also find people that are ex nutters,too.
no more nutters than youll find at the local pub.
Old 07-30-2018, 04:26 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Support

That is awesome to hear ! And you hit the nail on the head i need to address why I feel the need to escape through alcohol. I too, have a lot going for myself including being a business owner , beautiful family, and full of ambition. I think I just want to present this perception that I have everything under control so I avoid what I’m experiencing internally ; past trauma which like you mentioned has lead to anger and resentment. But I have to take responsibility for where I am currently and take necessary action. I think I also need to stop focusing on what’s happened so far and what I’m ashamed of and start visualizing my potential and where this journey (if action is taken) can take me.
Old 07-30-2018, 04:31 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Support

Sometimes I get frustrated and say to myself “I am not gonna let what others had done to me take away a life of peace and joy.” I must remember it’s jot that simple I need to do some real work to prevent this and create the life I know I deserve.
Also, I need to avoid placing blame. I need to admit my contribution to some of my past experiences .
Old 07-30-2018, 04:34 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

arcad, have ya ever read the big book of AA? a lot of what you mention in your last 2 posts is addressed in there.
Old 07-30-2018, 04:36 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

AA meeting

Hello Tomsteve.....

Thank you for the explanation, ex nutters! I like that , sounds hopeful. 😊
Old 07-30-2018, 04:37 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

No I have not , but it’s time.
Old 07-30-2018, 04:49 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 2620Arcad View Post
No I have not , but it’s time.
https://www.aa.org/pages/en_US/alcoholics-anonymous

i was pretty amazed when i started reading it. a book published 28 years before i was born described me pretty good.
some pretty good solutions and promises that can happen as a result of working the steps- promises that have all occured for me at one point or another along the journey.
Old 07-30-2018, 05:09 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thank you