Notices

Mental changes are occurring

Old 07-29-2018, 08:28 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Mental changes are occurring

Ok so I had 2 months of sobriety

Then 3 relapses over 3 weekends.

Atm on 14 days.

Very strong "stuff it, I want to numb myself" cravings today, but I managed to pull through.

My post is about this feeling iam getting of some kind of change in my mind. I feel like iam growing as a new person or into a new person? I may have relapsed but I still feel 3 months of mental health as opposed to constant binge drinking.

Did you feel a change in character around this time?

In conclusion, I wish to say iam all high spirited, iam not, I m definitely facing my mind sober. My mind was the main reason I drank, just to shut it off. Iam 27 and am currently searching for a way to live and not
to just exist. Is this deppression?

I say it out loud "iam deppressed" but it sounds so unreal?

I know I gotta concentrate more on self worth because the person who stares back in the mirror is a lost one.
Anyway gotta wake up early for work, thanks for the advice in advance.
Old 07-29-2018, 08:47 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Renvate, Day 100 and I can tell you that I've grown more in the last few months than in the past 20 years. It's hard to process at times but I'm learning to go with the flow. Stay the course because it's so worth it!
Old 07-29-2018, 11:51 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Same here, around day 100 I could finally steering myself with self discipline that resulted from clear thinking that resulted from knowing who i want to be.
Old 07-29-2018, 01:29 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yes, I do remember feeling a change in my thinking around the 3 month point.

I didn't know I was depressed either because I had an idea of someone sitting around the house in pjs all day, doing nothing. I was never like that. But, I found no joy in life and I was depressed. If your feelings continue, then maybe talking to your dr about depression would be a good idea.
Old 07-29-2018, 01:50 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Renvate,

For me, it's a lot of psychological ups and downs. Some days I feel a palpable high on the fact that I haven't drank and that there actually is some hope and optimism for me. Other days, the slightest thing can put that "stuff it" thought in my head and I long for a day of feeling totally numb. It can be hard, but I've found ways to remind me how unhealthy that desire is, and how unrealistic it is to think that "one day" will really ever be one day once I make myself a drink and take the first sip.

Most of us who have left some wreckage from our drinking have moments of despair in sobriety, where we remember things and feel the effect full-force, unadulterated by the booze-induced fog. Remember that there are so many others feeling the same thing and are willing to lend an understanding ear!
Old 07-29-2018, 01:56 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I think our brains have to reset back to normal (whatever that is for each of us) to a more homeostasis balance. I found that after about a week my energy improved both mentally and physically. As I healed I became more active. And being active is what we humans need to be. Get to moving about and everything started improving. I won't say I didn't have my moments (AV still lingers) but gained a sense of "lightness of being" overall. I am still not a good sleeper, maybe that is an age thing for me. But I like waking up feeling well as opposed to hungover. For that reason alone, after a time of sobriety, drinking is just not worth paying for.
Old 07-29-2018, 03:25 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Renvate,
It's been 10 years since I was 3 months. I certainly remember though, the feeling of growing. You see, the previous 2.5 years before that 3 month mark I hadn't been clean and sober for more than 50 days (for 30 years).
The feeling of depression comes and goes still.
So, I suggest don't confuse your addiction with your feelings. YOU ARE AN ADDICT, and that doesn't change. You are depressed...that will change. Treat your depression with exercise, meditation, medication or ice cream, but you are an addict. We can't take illicit drugs and alcohol.
The growth will continue with every sober day, and you will have a new life. Guaranteed!
love alwaz
mike
Old 07-29-2018, 05:03 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Yeah there was a lot of emotional "stuff" that came up in the first few months... Honestly it wasn't until probably 9 months that I felt totally on solid ground and like I'd re-gained all the clarity about who I am as a person and who I'm becoming.

You gotta just stick it out, self worth will come when you've processed things and forgiven yourself, but don't expect it to happen overnight.