Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

How to Stay Sober on long flights and visiting different countries ?

Notices

Old 07-28-2018, 09:11 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I will be going to Europe (London etc) for a short trip and probably to Asia for a short time. The flights are going to be 8-10hrs and usually there is free alcohol on the flight.

I have been sober for 81 days. Sometimes planes are long and boring. How can I build resistance to alcohol when a passenger next to me is having it.

Next, When in different country. There are other people who don't know you are sober...So how to deal with that...

From my conscious I am prepared not to drink. But wanted to know from the others experience and any tips or ideas...

Thank you!
Old 07-28-2018, 10:06 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
JD
You're not shackled to not drinking, you're free from drinking

The only thing you can do is not drink. There isn't any other magic. But I know how you're feeling. First, those long fights. I keep reminding myself how much I felt like crap on landing after so those free drinks. And now, I'm still tired as I can't sleep on planes, but tired is a lot better than tired and hung over. I actually can enjoy my first day over seas.

Drinking is part of the culture in many countries. But it is here too, although I'm not sure where your from. So don't look at it any differently. If you can stay sober here you can there too. You're still pretty early in sobriety, and I bet it still feels uncomfortable not drinking around others who are, but it won't be any different there. Just stay on your path and try not to get anxious about it. And always have an escape plan. If it gets too tempting go for a walk or go back to where your staying. What ever works for you to get away from the temptation.
Old 07-28-2018, 10:50 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Iwill,

Knowing I am an addict is my foundation.

I look in the mirror every day and see an addict at this level of clean.

In situations where there is unlimited and free booze I look at the folks drinking and see that there is no glory or good.

They go from being less effected...because they probably are still under the influence from a previous booze ingestion...... to more affected.

Glazed sleepy eyes, slurred speech, slow reactions etc. Yay?

They get a few minutes of euporia... chasing the dragon...then they must stop or risk overdoing it.

Don't need to be to intoxicated when there is work to be done...e.g. getting off the plane, luggage etc.

The only reason uneducated/educated folks drinks is because of addiction.

Understanding that and wanting to quit has been my go to plan thus far.

Thanks.
Old 07-28-2018, 11:22 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

At three months I flew and it was free booze. I drank tea. Lots of others drank, it is no longer who I am. It is possible.
Old 07-28-2018, 03:42 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm on my first vacation since I quit drinking five months ago. It is weird because vacation was always a time to drink with impunity so I find myself thinking about it and missing it more than when I'm at home. All you can do is just not do it and keep telling yourself, I don't drink anymore and I'm never going to drink again.
Old 07-28-2018, 04:31 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I've never had to deal with this but why should an aeroplane be any different to when you're walking around on the ground?

You've already dealt with several hard situations.

If flights are boring take plenty to do. If you're anxious about flying talk to your Dr.

Drink tea coffee water juice..whatever.
You won't be the only non drinker on the plane

D
Old 07-28-2018, 09:48 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Travelling was one of my triggers. I travel a fair bit for business and when I do, there is a lot of free booze on offer, from the lounge to the flight (welcome drink and then constant offers before, during and after the meal) to the hotel room. It is imperative to be prepared mentally. On board, learn to say a firm No Thank You every single time they offer you a drink. Ignore the person next to you drinking. You can't avoid all drinkers forever.

At the destination, it should make no difference if people around you don't know if you're a drinker. That's just your AV talking. Sometimes we complain because we're around people who DO know us and they know us as drinkers, and we worry about how hard it is to shake off that tag and how they give us pressure as a result of knowing our old habits. Here you'll be around people who don't know you at all, so they can get to know you as a non-drinker.
Old 07-28-2018, 10:48 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

A lot of normie friends never drink on planes to avoid dehydration and hangovers once they arrive at their destination. It's us drinkers that find it unfathomable.

Sydney is a 15 hour flight from LA. I used to eat a fistful of pills and a few drinks and knock myself out. Haven't been since I got sober, but am going in November.

I'm on vacation now and it was strange to fly without alcohol. But it was great arriving sober!
Old 07-28-2018, 11:17 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi. I really wouldn't advise landing in London drunk in these sad times of terrorist threats and high security and lets face it, as you're on an addiction recovery site, it wouldn't just be the 'one or two drinks', now would it. There is lots to see and do in London - and as for the trip, I tend to snooze and read. Much better to see London and Europe and remember seeing it huh?
Have a safe flight and enjoy your time here x
Old 07-29-2018, 02:00 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Funnily enough despite free alcohol on planes I never drink on them, or at most one with meal. I find flying quite uncomfortable and dehydrating as it and alcohol aggravates that feeling. I try and sleep as much as possible on long haul flights and then watch whatever rubbish they are screening.