Notices

Almost want to drink a beer...

Old 07-27-2018, 05:02 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Almost want to drink a beer...

It's been 150 days of constant daily struggle with brain fog, light headedness, anxiety, palpitations, feeling tired, and just an extreme struggle to get it going. I didn't think after five months I'd still be hurting.

I had my follow up with the cardiologist yesterday. He said my extra heart beats weren't dangerous but I should cut all caffeine and keep exercising. I'm down 18 lbs since I quit drinking. I never had pvcs before I quit drinking and I have to think these are somehow related to the stress my mind/body is under trying to rewire. I dunno if anyone else has been thru this but it's very scary.

My goal was to never quit for good but since I don't feel normal in any sense of the word after quitting it means my mind is still hooked on having the alcohol to work "properly." I almost want a few beers to just pause the struggle. It feels like it will never end. Trying to stay strong.
Old 07-27-2018, 05:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hang in there, alcohol causes damage to your brain chemistry and it takes a long time to adjust.

Think of the way you feel as a reminder of the damage that's been done. I felt the same way at 150 days.

Things really turned after a year and I can't tell you how good I feel today. I never knew what this felt like as I'd been sauced for 20+ years.

It's amazing when it lifts but it does take time, hang in there what you are experienceing is normal and part of withdrawal.

Post Acute Withdrawal Symptom can come and go in waves and bring these symptoms for anywhere from 3 months to 2+ years.

I started feeling better around the 13 month mark and it's been increadable (spell check can't fix that one for my dyslexic self) since.
Old 07-27-2018, 05:18 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I almost want a few beers to just pause the struggle.
Or it may simply start the whole process again.

I'm sorry you're struggling Justin but I really believe that better times are ahead.

You're on the right road - there's nothing for you back the way you came.

if you think it's PAWs this is good reading:

https://digital-dharma.net/post-acut...r-immediately/

I feel like most people read the 'can be up to 2 years' bit and stop reading, but there's actually some great suggestions in the link for dealing with PAWs.

Read it all

D
Old 07-27-2018, 05:42 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Don't drink! It gets better, but you've got to hang on.
Old 07-27-2018, 05:46 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Justin61571 View Post
ITrying to stay strong.
You are by reaching out before you do something stupid.
Old 07-27-2018, 07:30 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

you could consider that this slow path to recovery at five months in is DUE to drinking. that the alcohol did a real number on your body and is the problem, the cause, not the cure.
Old 07-27-2018, 07:31 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hey Justin please don't drink you may not be able to stop again

I stopped for 50 something days it was magical i was soooo happy i started again because i was fired from my job in a really awful way. i have tried but its a struggle to stop again and i have been to a mental hospital and everything i have a scar on my eyebrow from a fall and can't stop.

trying but evrytime you rest yourself the struggle is more real. don't drink

Old 07-28-2018, 02:18 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by Justin61571 View Post
My goal was to never quit for good...
I tried everything I could think of to avoid quitting for good, but I never broke free from the mental obsession until I committed to quitting for good.

Best of Luck on Your Journey!
Old 07-28-2018, 04:04 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Glad you are sharing honestly. Plenty of folks can relate.

The PAWS article is excellent- a book you may consider is Living Sober about the first year of sobriety. It is not strictly an AA publication but is produced by Hazelden which puts out AA endorsed material. It is a simple and. iMO relatable and supportive book for anyone starting their journey in sobriety.

It sounds like you are responsibly addressing your physical concerns which is awesome. I sure had to do that. What about emotional and practical recovery support? I can't do this without those too.

Keep going- for me, life sober is better in every way, even the challenging ones, than life as a drunk.
Old 07-29-2018, 02:23 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Well done on 5 months. Don't through away the effort and changes you made in these 5 months.

You will start to feel better 'in time" but if you drink it will be "in time" +150 recovery days +drunk misery days.
Old 07-29-2018, 02:47 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

Almost want to drink beer...and I almost want to jump off a cliff...once it's done there is no turning back.