Notices

Day 3

Old 07-27-2018, 06:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 3

Its 830 am and im off work today. My mind is already telling me its okay to head to buy a bottle of vodka. My mind is telling me, itll just be for today and I might as well enjoy my day off. I have a interview scheduled for next friday and really want to be clear headed for that. If I can remain sober I would be 10 days dry by next friday and be able to do the interview with less withdrawal symptoms. I do need to stay sober. I cant blow that interview.
Old 07-27-2018, 06:45 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Got anything planned for today? If I was home alone with a house to myself, I'd definitely be fighting urges.
Old 07-27-2018, 06:56 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You've been at this a long time toni. I say that as someone who has also been trying to quit for a long time and has been active on these boards for many years.

What are you doing differently this time so you don't end up in the same cycle?
Old 07-27-2018, 06:59 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Toni-

great job on day 3. Stay busy today...how about going to the park for a walk or catching a movie? Visiting friends or family?

stay sober and you will have more options for your day.
Old 07-27-2018, 07:35 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

whats your plan/program to make this your last day 3?
think i asked this yesterday about makin that your last day 2.

white knuckling recovery doesnt work for crap and your past shows that.
Old 07-27-2018, 07:40 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Great job on Day 3. I am on my 5th day today. Since I didn't drink during the day, and only in the evenings, I find myself trying to find things to do in the evening to keep my mind off about thinking about a drink. I look at my kids and my wife, which gives me reason not to drink, and I would cook dinner for them, walk the dog, read the SR and my APP on my phone that tracks my progress, which really helps me with the reason why I quit. Hope this helps.
Old 07-27-2018, 07:44 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tonisherrell View Post
My mind is already telling me .
That voice you hear telling you these things is not your mind! It's your AV pretending to be your mind in order to trick you into picking up that first drink.

AVRT info at Rational Recovery was helpful for me to seperate my AV from my own voice and tell it to shut the heck up.
Old 07-27-2018, 08:35 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Im still in bed, surfing the forums etc. Today I plan to relax in bed and watch some tv. I know I need to get up and get out the house but im exhausted. I typically feel tired day 3-6. Its also a crappy windy day today. I definitely need to push through the laziness though. Maybe I should get out vs just laying here in bed.
Old 07-27-2018, 09:56 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

What you need to do is whatever you need to do to NOT DRINK.

If laying in bed will keep you from drinking, then do it. If getting up and out of the house and distracted will keep you from drinking, then do it. If staring at a light and barking like a seal will keep you from drinking...then do it.
Old 07-27-2018, 10:17 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

You appear to already be planning to blow the interview? Why? Ooo, I know, you're an alcoholic and there is only one way to handle that. Abstinence. Period.

I am always amazed at my alcoholic mind. It is utter insanity. Planning to do the one thing that will surely destroy everything. I have done it so many times, ruined so many possibilities, crushed relationships, destroyed vacations. It boggles the mind. Why? Dunno. I'm an addict. Its what I do. I had to surrender. Stop the fight. Stop trying to prove to myself that I could drink and not decimate everything. It is the only answer.

You're doing the hard part right now. Make an absolute commitment to not drink, no matter what. Don't blow the interview before you get there. If you don't get the job, no big deal. But don't purposely blow it if for no other reason than if you drink, you at least know the outcome. If you don't drink, wow, you might actually succeed.
Old 07-27-2018, 10:34 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tonisherrell View Post
Im still in bed, surfing the forums etc. Today I plan to relax in bed and watch some tv. I know I need to get up and get out the house but im exhausted. I typically feel tired day 3-6. Its also a crappy windy day today. I definitely need to push through the laziness though. Maybe I should get out vs just laying here in bed.
if youre going to lay in bed, take a read through your past thread,toni. it truly shows the effects of no recovery plan/program.
it may help you understand why i have been stressing a plan/program.
Old 07-27-2018, 10:41 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tomsteve View Post
if youre going to lay in bed, take a read through your past thread,toni. it truly shows the effects of no recovery plan/program.
it may help you understand why i have been stressing a plan/program.
Couldn't agree with this more. I've done the same with my old posts here on SR. A sobering experience indeed.