Notices

New to recovery

Old 07-25-2018, 08:55 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New to recovery

Hello I’m very new to this site. I’ve been drinking every night for the past 7 months, the past month of them have been to point of blacking out. I’ve literally hit rock bottom. I woke up this morning and told myself I wasn’t going to drink then found myself buying more alcohol on my drive home. I don’t know what to do and I’m so desperate for any kind of help. My life is so negatively affected by this addiction. Please someone help me
Old 07-25-2018, 09:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

to SR. You have found a brilliant website
I'm in a rush right now, but I guarantee others will be alone soon.
In the meantime, how about joining the Class of July ? It's all members who have stopped this month, so you'll have lots of good company and ideas there. Here's the link incase you haven't spotted it.

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...-part-1-a.html (Class of July 2018 Part 1)

Hang in there x
Old 07-25-2018, 09:23 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Deven

I wish I could offer some words of wisdom but right now I am in the same boat as you. What I can say is that this is a great place to get help and loads of people here know what they are talking about.

Welcome to the SR forum!
Old 07-25-2018, 09:30 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Hi Deven,
Much the same story as me. The biggest frustration was making a firm choice not to drink in the morning, yet never being able to make it stick. I tended to find myself in bars on the thrid drink, when suddenly I would remeber I wasn't supposed to be drinking. By then it was too late because a thing called the phenomenon of craving had kicked in, and I would keep going until I had to stop.

I had a particular type of illness for which medical science and/or religion have no answer. I ducked and dived, tried all sorts of things and as a last resort, I called Alcoholics Anonymous.

I didn't rush head long into a meeting, far too scary. Instead I arranged to meet with a recovered member and we had a good discsussion about my expereinec, his experience and the AA solution. It gave me a good basis for deciding whether I wanted or in fact needed to give the program a shot. We pretty much nailed the first two steps before I even went to a meeting.

It worked out exactly as promised and much better than I expected. I don't know what you should do, but if you did what I did, you may well get what I got.
Old 07-25-2018, 09:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Devan, you've made the first step!

I'm 2 days in so will let others with more knowledge/experience chime in but glad you're here mate!
Old 07-27-2018, 12:57 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR Devenmardelle

D
Old 07-27-2018, 01:09 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Devenmardelle just one short week ago I was in same boat. Daily desperately wanting to stop but buying more. You have made a good move coming here.

Is the first time to quit or have you tried before?
Old 07-27-2018, 04:33 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome Dev. You've come to a good place to get sober and stay that way. It's likely to be pretty hellish initially but if you stick with it and make and work on a recovery plan then things will get easier as you learn new and better ways of dealing with life, stuff, people and feelings than drinking your way into some kind of temporary release. The obsession to drink will gradually lift. You will start to learn who you are without alcohol.

Have you looked up your local support groups? If not, I'd suggest doing so and writing down days, times, places of meetings and telephone numbers for local support. That way when you need it that information will be on hand.
You could go to an AA meeting today. There is no need to contact beforehand, you just turn up about ten minutes before the meeting is due to start and they'll get you settled in and explain what the format of that meeting is before it starts. You wouldn't need to say anything at all to the group as a whole. The experience, strength and hope I got from meetings in the early days was immense. After being a closed off person all my life, at 40 I suddenly found myself in a room where people were talking about thoughts and feelings that they had, which I'd thought were exclusive to me. That was powerful. It also helped me to take a step back from all the shame and self-loathing that I felt. That was important because those feelings are ones that I'd have been likely to drink on if they d persisted too strongly for too long.

You deserve a better life than this. And it is yours to give to yourself, if you choose to.

BB
Old 07-27-2018, 11:32 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Let’s take a breath together...;)

How about we chat and help each other?
I understand and feel the same way. It’s a little scary, but if you are strong enough to ask for help, you are strong enough to beat this sh*t into submission. After awhile, your body will assist you in the fight. I know it sounds stupid.. but three months away from sugar and it was much easier to stay away...three months away from smoking it was much easier to stay away...I’m not trying to downplay this at all just offering some hope that if we remove that physical bullsh*t additive pull alcohol has it will be easier to be strong.

Also*** very very important message here***

It will be okay...You are worth it...You can do this....Tomorrow is always a new fresh day, and yesterday is the past. It’s okay to talk about what hurts you. It’s okay to talk about what you’ve done to cope with that...

Other people, people you don’t even know, understand exactly how shi*tty you feel and why you don’t want to feel that way...They also understand why it’s better to talk and learn to cope with horrible things in a different way. Merely because it will I. The end make you so much more happy! 😉 **** They don’t judge you. EVER!
They care...

You just need to talk through the ****** times with people who get it! 😉

••••Low key expect you to give me that speech when I’m Freaking out! Lol

QUOTE=Devenmardelle;6965209]Hello I’m very new to this site. I’ve been drinking every night for the past 7 months, the past month of them have been to point of blacking out. I’ve literally hit rock bottom. I woke up this morning and told myself I wasn’t going to drink then found myself buying more alcohol on my drive home. I don’t know what to do and I’m so desperate for any kind of help. My life is so negatively affected by this addiction. Please someone help me[/QUOTE]
Old 07-27-2018, 12:27 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi Deven, welcome to SR.

I was in the same boat for a year or so. I used to drink socially for a long while, but in the past year, I caught myself drinking evernight, more than I should, and most mornings I don't remember what happened a night before. I promised myself I will cut down drinking and limit the amount of drinks. My wife told me how I was jerk a night before and I don't remember any of it. Recently, it happened every night. I knew I had to stop completely, because I could not control how much I drink like normal people do. It was started to effect me, mentally and physically. I hated driving into work. I did not drink during the day, only after dinner until I passed out and fall asleep.

Then, I started doing some research on how to quit. I was worry about the withdraw symptoms and DT. I kept saying tomorrow and tomorrow never came. Then, I found this website. I started reading all the stories from people like me. I learned a lot about what to do and what not to do. I made an appointment with my Dr. of many years, and came clean about my drinking. He said to me, I would have never thought you are an alcoholic. Haha, what does he know. But he did say, looking back at my medical history, he said, a lot of the events like high blood pressure, lightheadedness, anxiety, etc. makes sense to him now. He gave me a prescription to take for 3-5 days while I stop drinking immediately.

The best decision I ever made. Talk to your family and friends, talk to your doctor, get yourself mentally prepare, know what to expect, know to deal with them, make a plan to stay sober. Best of luck to you.
Old 07-27-2018, 12:52 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
SWB

Devin, I was exactly the same as you for 12 months. I’m on my 7th day and feeling better every day. I’ve also found the meetings to be incredibly helpful and plan to keep going. Good luck to you my friend.
Old 07-27-2018, 01:28 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. You'll find lots of support here.
Old 07-27-2018, 01:52 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

How are you doing today, Deven?