Notices

Why?

Old 07-24-2018, 09:23 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Why?

So last time i posted here i thought i was done.

Well...just came off a really rough 4 day bender and I just dont have much words .

I just ask why?

I know i might not get much support because i went back but anyone whose ever had this same thought pattern id appreciate your thoughts
Old 07-24-2018, 09:36 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi

I don't know why you'd think you wouldn't get any support - we all know how it is to 'go out' again.

I think I kept drinking because I could - as difficult as it was it seemed easier than not drinking...but I was basing my ideas on what not drinking would be like on the scantiest of 'evidence'.

my longest period sober was 2 months before I came to SR - IMO that's not enough time to get any real idea of what sober life could be.

In the end I decided if I wanted to get sober and stay that way, I'd have to commit - I'd have to make changes and stick to those changes, no matter what.

I had to run on faith when people told me things got better, even when I doubted thsat.

Support helped - but I had to learn to ask for help before I crashed not after.

You have a great opportunity now to not only learn from your mistakes but build on your new knowledge - I'd embrace that.

Go for it

D
Old 07-24-2018, 09:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Hi

I don't know why you'd think you wouldn't get any support - we all know how it is to 'go out' again.

I think I kept drinking because I could - as difficult as it was it seemed easier than not drinking...but I was basing my ideas on what not drinking would be like on the scantiest of 'evidence'.

my longest period sober was 2 months before I came to SR - IMO that's not enough time to get any real idea of what sober life could be.

In the end I decided if I wanted to get sober and stay that way, I'd have to commit - I'd have to make changes and stick to those changes, no matter what.

I had to run on faith when people told me things got better, even when I doubted thsat.

Support helped - but I had to learn to ask for help before I crashed not after.

You have a great opportunity now to not only learn from your mistakes but build on your new knowledge - I'd embrace that.

Go for it

D
Well why didnt i think i would get support? prob now cause i dont think i deserve it but anyway...

Its a strange feeling for me its like i want to stop but at the same time i dont. I'm sure you or someone else has had that before.

And btw thank you for your comment pretty much put me in tears in a good way
Old 07-24-2018, 10:48 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GreatInquiry7 View Post
So last time i posted here i thought i was done.

Well...just came off a really rough 4 day bender and I just dont have much words .

I just ask why?

I know i might not get much support because i went back but anyone whose ever had this same thought pattern id appreciate your thoughts
I have gone back and forth from sobriety a few times, i think it was because I was not fully committed, I told people I was on wagon instead of the truth which was trying to quit for good. I had a terrible drunk my last time out , a complete blackout and this has scared me, although I drank a week later at my niece's wedding. I am a big binge drinker I do not drink during week , but my drinking has progressed to the point where it is no longer social or fun , it is out of control so I have to stop. I am trying AA now and am committed to going to meetings they are suggesting 90 in 90 days , I am going to try it , it keeps me busy and it is informative , and I have met people who I firmly believe want to help me. I suggest you do the same. If I can try it after 40 years of drinking anyone can.
Old 07-24-2018, 10:48 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome back, you will find lots of support here. I joined SR in 2012, and had my last drink December 31, 2015. I had many day one posts as I strugggled and attempted to moderate my drinking (don't waste your time with this one, it doesn't work.)

In a few days I will have 2 years and 7 months sober, and this site has been one of the biggest parts of my recovery plan. I read and post here daily. I also practice mindfulness, and find exercise and nature to be big parts of my physical/emotional healthy lifestyle.

Spend some time reading on here and write down some things that may work for you for recovery. Join a monthly class, you can join July, and then August when it starts to give you a little extra support. Try to stay in the present, dwelling on the past won't help, and neither will worrying about the future. Celebrate your successes..

You can do this!
Old 07-24-2018, 10:53 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

You do deserve support.
We all do.

It’s a common trait of alcoholism to have little or no self respect.
It’s how it keeps you down and in your place.

You do want to stop it’s your adictive voice (AV) that doesn’t want to.

I look back at how I used treat myself and feel so sorry.
Nobody deserves that kind of abuse.
Pouring poison in to my body, destroying my mind, body and soul.

I thought it was the only way to live because I knew no other way.
How wrong was I!

I live alcohol and drug free now and I will never go back.
I am living what feels like a dream that I never thought possible.
So happy with my new life. I love myself and my family and each day it gets better.

You can have and deserve a new better life.
One that is full of joy and hope.

Gather some tools, get advice, ask for support.
1 day at a time. You can do this.
Old 07-24-2018, 10:54 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think most of us can remember than ambivalence. I wanted to quit but quitting forever seemed impossible, at least without massive change, which terrified me.

The more times I broke myself my drinking tho, the more open I was to that idea of change.

I wish I'd gone for it sooner, I really do.

D
Old 07-24-2018, 11:06 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I think most of us can remember than ambivalence. I wanted to quit but quitting forever seemed impossible, at least without massive change, which terrified me.

The more times I broke myself my drinking tho, the more open I was to that idea of change.

D
i think if i go on another bender ill break myself for good lol! i need and want to stop. thank you.
Old 07-24-2018, 11:06 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

D[/QUOTE]
Me too.
Old 07-24-2018, 11:08 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Snowydelrico View Post
You do deserve support.
We all do.

It’s a common trait of alcoholism to have little or no self respect.
It’s how it keeps you down and in your place.

You do want to stop it’s your adictive voice (AV) that doesn’t want to.

I look back at how I used treat myself and feel so sorry.
Nobody deserves that kind of abuse.
Pouring poison in to my body, destroying my mind, body and soul.

I thought it was the only way to live because I knew no other way.
How wrong was I!

I live alcohol and drug free now and I will never go back.
I am living what feels like a dream that I never thought possible.
So happy with my new life. I love myself and my family and each day it gets better.

You can have and deserve a new better life.
One that is full of joy and hope.

Gather some tools, get advice, ask for support.
1 day at a time. You can do this.
thank you i appreciate this. hard to say in a forum post but this really helped me. thank you.
Old 07-24-2018, 11:12 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Smile

Originally Posted by Delilah1 View Post
Welcome back, you will find lots of support here. I joined SR in 2012, and had my last drink December 31, 2015. I had many day one posts as I strugggled and attempted to moderate my drinking (don't waste your time with this one, it doesn't work.)

In a few days I will have 2 years and 7 months sober, and this site has been one of the biggest parts of my recovery plan. I read and post here daily. I also practice mindfulness, and find exercise and nature to be big parts of my physical/emotional healthy lifestyle.

Spend some time reading on here and write down some things that may work for you for recovery. Join a monthly class, you can join July, and then August when it starts to give you a little extra support. Try to stay in the present, dwelling on the past won't help, and neither will worrying about the future. Celebrate your successes..

You can do this!
thank you. i appreciate this and congratulations on that time
Old 07-25-2018, 12:38 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I kept drinking over and over too. I got to where I didn't want to but still did it. That is addiction.

I tried and tried quitting and eventually it stuck, I am gratefully eight years sober now. You can do it.

What really helped me was finding a program that suited me. Without a program to work, I would still be drinking today. Or dead.
Old 07-25-2018, 01:08 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I remember wanting the madness to end, and I somehow knew that this meant I needed to stop drinking. But that was the life I'd known since my teens. I'd never been an Alcohol free adult, so it was difficult to want to be someone who I didn't know - my alcohol free self. That's where the experiences, strength, and hope that I got from others on recovery, those ahead of me on this path, really helped (and still helps) me. It was such unknown territory to me. Who would I even BE without alcohol. Would I disappear like the hole in a polo mint once alcohol was removed? The answer was no, I wouldn't disappear. And I found out what others have found as well, that we are so much more than what we have done. I always would have been so much more than my drinking personality that I'd constructed over the years. Trouble is, if constructed that drinking-personality so well she all but obscured the 'I am' that was underneath. As I slowly chipped away at that old construct, like a stone statue, I started to find the treasure underneath, as I believe all in active recovery do - whatever they are recovering their Self from. And you can as well. I just KNOW that you won't be disappointed at what you find if you start chipping away.

BB
Old 07-25-2018, 02:16 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Alcoholic.
Old 07-25-2018, 03:07 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by GreatInquiry7 View Post
Well why didnt i think i would get support? prob now cause i dont think i deserve it but anyway...
Your "but anyway" may actually be your problem. You didn't think you deserved support. Literally thousands of alcoholics on this forum supporting each other, but you considered yourself undeserving.
And then you dismissed it as unimportant.

You might want to spend a little more time working that out.

Glad you found your way back to us. We ALL deserve it.
Best of Luck on Your Journey.
Old 07-25-2018, 03:13 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Glad you are here and agree with the others, especially berrybean as my experience of being terrified of what could be on the other side of drinking was much the same.

In addition to making the choice to quit, I had to develop a program of action. Mine isAAand it saved my life, to put it succinctly. Others can share their plans and the one thing we all have in common is having a plan of action.

Learning what alcoholism is and isn't was (is) helpful to most of us. Taking that action to get and stay sober then find the kind of life folks describe above is the more important thing than getting to any why.

You deserve sobriety as much as the rest of us. Best to you.
Old 07-25-2018, 03:24 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Why? It happened to me because I was alcholic and had no effective defense againt the first drink. There was a way to get a defense, but I ruled it out. I had a life threatening problem which I did not know how to solve, yet I felt perfectly OK about specifying exactly which actions I would take. Doesn't really make sense.

It would be like going to the doctor, seriously ill, and the doc saying " well, we have this regimen of treatment, I want you to take this and do that, and if you do you will be ok, Furthermore I want you to be at these appointments" And I would say "ok doc, but I think I can manage on just this and this, and those appointments are not convenient so I'll skip them." Would that be insane or not? Could I expect the same result by taking only a part of the recommended treatment?
Old 07-25-2018, 10:02 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I venture to say everyone here has come and gone, fell and gotten back up, many, many times.

But you need to make a plan and do the work. I'm finding that sobriety is the best place in the world and I'm so thankful for SR for helping me get here.

What is your plan?
Old 07-25-2018, 10:45 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Yup - I'm the same. I think the 'why' is because deep down inside we still think it's okay to have 'a drink' - that's definitely the hardest thing for me to shift. I wrote a letter to myself after my last bender - full of fear and panic. It's helped me stay sober this time. I'd recommend writing to yourself as a reminder of how **** you feel now. Gabe x