Notices

Going to the movies

Old 07-24-2018, 03:15 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Going to the movies

Where wine is served . Didn’t think I would be tempted but now that I am here it doesn’t sound bad . Tomorrow will be threee weeks and I have to make it . Have to be strong 💪
Old 07-24-2018, 03:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

Indulge in something else you'd normally forgo? I'm sure that will taste better than giving up your three weeks.
Old 07-24-2018, 03:29 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I LOVE going to the movies now. I can actually remember / follow the plot and I don't have to run out half way to pee!
Old 07-24-2018, 03:45 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Stay strong, skipper! You can do it and 3 weeks is fantastic.

Sadly all my favourite cinemas serve alcohol now, but I’m glad I can enjoy going to the movies sober. Every time I started drinking in the cinema, I could never watch anything till the end. I’d leave mid-film to keep drinking. Yuck!
Old 07-24-2018, 03:53 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Wine is nasty anyway. Go for the nachos!
Old 07-24-2018, 04:00 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Actually, it does sound bad. It's a bad idea. You'll be throwing away your three weeks sober, for what? Discomfort and regret, at best.

I hope you flex what sober muscles you've got. After you've been sober a good while, you'll no longer be tempted. But you've got to get there by staying sober.
Old 07-24-2018, 04:55 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Last time I went to the movies I think I paid $15 for a popcorn and soda..I'd assume they charge night club prices for booze. If I'm going to drink,I'd get a bottle on the way home..I'm cheap like that. Skip the booze and have some $6 candy. Also..don't buy booze on the way home. It'll be better tomorrow.
Old 07-24-2018, 05:00 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

It never takes us where we think it will, Skipper. It's a waste of time - and you'll end up filled with remorse. You don't need it, now or ever.
Old 07-24-2018, 05:15 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Almost two years ago you were posting about relapsing on a beach drinking wine.

Maybe it's time to make some permanent changes?
Old 07-24-2018, 06:29 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks for the responses . I didn’t drink so tomorrow will be my 3 weeks😍 I saw mama Mia and it looked like everyone had either a glass of wine or a beer in their hand throughout the movie but I still loved it. The friend I went with drank and honestly the wine did not smell good to me. Thanks for all the encouraging words. I have been at this for a long time and I just turned 50 and know that it’s time .
Old 07-24-2018, 06:31 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Relieved to hear you didn't cave. You'll be so glad in the morning.
Old 07-24-2018, 06:36 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hevyn View Post
Relieved to hear you didn't cave. You'll be so glad in the morning.
Thanks Hevyn . I’m so glad I can wake up without regret and hungover
Old 07-24-2018, 06:38 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by skipper123 View Post
Thanks Hevyn . I’m so glad I can wake up without regret and hungover
Each thing like this that you come out of not drinking,builds up your 'sober muscles' too.
Old 07-24-2018, 07:11 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you stayed true to yourself skipper

D
Old 07-25-2018, 05:24 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lessgravity View Post
Almost two years ago you were posting about relapsing on a beach drinking wine.

Maybe it's time to make some permanent changes?
Lessgravity thank you for pointing that out . I didn’t even realize I could go back and look at all my old posts. Well I did that last night when I came home (sober) and was a bit sad that I have been posting for three years . Basically the same thing Day 1 again . I think 90 days was as far as I got.
I even posted about turning fifty in a few years and how I wanted to be in great shape . Well here I am at 50! Only 3 weeks sober and 30 pounds overweight. I am gong to do this I have to do this !
Old 07-25-2018, 10:01 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by skipper123 View Post
Lessgravity thank you for pointing that out . I didn’t even realize I could go back and look at all my old posts. Well I did that last night when I came home (sober) and was a bit sad that I have been posting for three years . Basically the same thing Day 1 again . I think 90 days was as far as I got.
I even posted about turning fifty in a few years and how I wanted to be in great shape . Well here I am at 50! Only 3 weeks sober and 30 pounds overweight. I am gong to do this I have to do this !
skipp - I applaud you for taking my post so well. I have had the same thing pointed out to me by others here. It's painful but I think very instructive and necessary. I'm also a long time member who has finally crossed the finish line to permanent sobriety.

I've gotten in shape now too at 41! It can be done. Takes work though. But all good things take work.

Do you have a plan to get and stay sober?
Old 07-25-2018, 10:08 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

We don't have alcohol at our movie theaters, what an odd thing to have there.

Good for you on three weeks.

I was at the theater a few weeks ago to see a musical. It was so sweltering hot and we had eaten at a restaurant, those $5 bottles of water went down nice LOL

As an aside, the restaurant we had to wait for our table because it's a popular one that doesn't take reservations between 5 and 7. So I went into the bar area attached to it, ordered an iced tea. I overheard the bartender say to someone else behind the bar, an adult iced tea, I panicked I was like no, booze, no alcohol, she was like, I meant an adult sized one, not a kiddie cup. We had friends with us who don't know I quit drinking, so I was a bit embarrassed to have a mini freak out, but hey, they are normal drinkers, it probably didn't register.