Notices

Hangover Hunger

Old 07-23-2018, 08:29 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hangover Hunger

Does anyone remember the desperate empty gnawing hunger of a hangover? I was not a dry toast person I was a full fry-up, all fat, sausage-egg-and-cheese-on-a-roll, pizza first thing in the morning eating more than seemingly humanly possible hangover.

Today I was in the grocery store, I knew it was time for me to have a meal, and I did what I usually do: assess my cravings and then buy that. I had no cravings. I was confused. My blood sugar wasn't jumping around saying "whole roasted chicken!" I just used my brain to think up a sensible and simple meal.

I was trying to think of a breakfast place tomorrow, between my meeting and work. I thought of a cute coffee shop that I haven't been to since I drank. I remembered the delicious ham and cheese croissant. Then I immediately remembered how ravenous I was for that croissant and coffee because of how horribly hungover I was and how I would try to "snap out of it" by having the MOST powerful coffee and the heavy fatty croissant and a brisk walk back to work and I'd be "ok."

Just a random musing about overwhelming hangover hunger vs. new sober cognition of food choices...... Any stories?
Old 07-24-2018, 05:58 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

When I was younger I experienced hangover hunger, but towards the end of my drinking days the last thing in the world I wanted in the morning was food. I craved alcohol.
Old 07-24-2018, 06:19 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I didn't have it. I either felt too sick to even think about eating / drinking anything. Or I was craving a glass of wine to pick me up.
Old 07-24-2018, 06:49 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I had it and thank goodness it’s gone!!!
Old 07-24-2018, 07:16 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
saoutchik

I think coffee was about the only thing I wanted when I had a hangover and by midday I wanted more drink.
Old 07-24-2018, 07:39 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Keep Going

Great post Plen
I actually liked the fact that I was losing weight with the alcohol.
I don't remember getting hangovers.
I don't remember being hungry.

I just drank pretty much all the time, round the clock, I really couldn't see why everybody didn't drink like that. Time just flew by, like a decade, and nothing happened. Grim

I guess I saved up all the hangovers I should have had, and they became the mother of all withdrawals last year. I was certainly hungry after that, and put on about 3 stone instantly...
Old 07-24-2018, 07:47 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Wow Weav. I am very thankful that I stopped feeling good when I drank. I did drink whenever I wanted all the time. But it got ugly. It’s embarrassing and scary and I gained a lot of weight. So much.

Ha it’s funny. Now that I’m not drinking I eat everything still. I just don’t break the bank and spend a ton on those strong cravings
Old 07-24-2018, 07:53 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

When I drank I’d always wake up wanting something really salty and fatty too. Now that I have four days of not drinking, a normal breakfast like cereal or just some fruit sounds fine to me. Our bodies just want salt so bad when we are dehydrated which most of us when we wake up but especially drinkers! Yes I definitely feel my cravings going towards more healthy, fresh foods. Lord knows our bodies need good foods after all we’ve put them through.
Old 07-24-2018, 09:28 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

In my younger years I would absolutely crave fried breakfast after a night of heavy drinking, but as thomas11 mentioned that can change as time goes on. If I have severe binges now, alcohol is top of my list the next day and food is of no interest.
Old 07-24-2018, 10:06 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Not at all. The only thing I wanted the next day was more alcohol and I always gave in. I could never eat on a hangover past the age of about 21.

I ended up drinking earlier and earlier the next day when hungover, and before I knew it, I would get up out of bed at 8am and be drinking whatever alcoholic drink I could get my hands on within seconds.
Old 07-24-2018, 11:53 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

After a binge sure I would have a load of junk food, basically what ever I could find. Sometimes a steak and roast potatoes, fried onions..the lot. Even after that would still sink another cold beer. Then Saturday morning if I woke early like 4am, hungover, would have a beer in les than a few mins, drank down in to goes. I was a real beer monster.

Going into my fourth week. Have been strict with myself concerning food and stuff, but it doesn't mean that I don't treat myself. Just drink sparking water, sometimes with a syrup, but make sure to ge over 2 liters water during the day. Make my own drinks as well, radish and cucumber, leave it over night. Have one back coffee in the morning with small spoon sugar. Small cup, more like a double espresso in the evening if I feel I want it or need it.

Still have a minor craving for salt and balsamic vinegar on green salad and fresh ground pepper.

Started running again. First time out was a total killer. Now over 45 miles done since I quit drinking.
Old 07-24-2018, 11:57 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Primativo View Post
I would get up out of bed at 8am and be drinking whatever alcoholic drink I could get my hands on within seconds.
I was more professional in my planning. always had a cold beer in the fridge and a few iced glass in the freezer. Though at 3 or 4am Saturday morning the iced glass was too much work just to take it out.

Last edited by Dejvice; 07-24-2018 at 11:57 AM. Reason: sp
Old 07-24-2018, 11:58 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Adventurer

In my 20's I would crave food the next day but in my 30's I only wanted more booze. Forget coffee, that would send me into a full blown anxiety attack with all the caffeine.
Old 07-24-2018, 04:52 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dejvice View Post
I was more professional in my planning. always had a cold beer in the fridge and a few iced glass in the freezer. Though at 3 or 4am Saturday morning the iced glass was too much work just to take it out.
Haha. In my last and final binge, I got to the stage where I would get up at 5 am feeling so rough, I would be drinking wine at 5am. Would do the whole bottle in about half an hour to an hour.

I shudder now when I think back of how I used to be. How does one get to the stage that you are necking a bottle of wine when you wake up at 5am...
Old 07-24-2018, 05:05 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Primativo View Post
Haha. In my last and final binge, I got to the stage where I would get up at 5 am feeling so rough, I would be drinking wine at 5am. Would do the whole bottle in about half an hour to an hour.

I shudder now when I think back of how I used to be. How does one get to the stage that you are necking a bottle of wine when you wake up at 5am...
My morning was; Drink half a diet soda, grab the cheap vodka(didn't want to waste the good stuff) and a glass of ice,pour the remainder of the soda in the glass w/vodka, take a shower, another mixed drink after shower and let's start the day. Pure insanity!
Old 07-24-2018, 05:05 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I was too sick to eat anything while hungover, even as a teenager. I’d try to survive on sugary juice, Coke and such, but usually I couldn’t even keep water down.
Old 07-24-2018, 05:40 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Just the thought of eating in the morning after drinking is pretty much unheard of.
Old 07-24-2018, 05:54 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Like others have said, I could eat after a night of drinking, but once I was middle aged, I no longer wanted food.

Ditto on giving up coffee cause of the after drinking anxiety.

I'm just happy as hell I don't do that to myself anymore.
Old 07-24-2018, 06:08 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Ugh....I remember the stabbing hunger pains during my countless binges but I never wanted to eat. Just fill up with booze to avoid the inevitable crash.
Old 07-24-2018, 06:34 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

The mornings were so harsh I do not miss that. I remember thinking over and over again that my nerves felt "frayed", and I was so tender and enflamed. And just starving.

I still eat a lot but not desperately.