Notices

Liver Test

Old 07-23-2018, 09:38 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Liver Test

I had my liver tested five months ago and my doctor said my liver enzymes were ever so slightly raised.

I hardly drink now. Roughly 2 a month. I drink lager 5% but I do binge drink.

At the time when I had my liver tested I was drinking vodka.

I started drinking nearly every day for year and half but for two years not so often and like I said I’m drinking lager now don’t touch vods now.

I need to get another test.

Should I be worried ? Could it be corosis? Or could it have been inflammation?

I’m awfully worried

I take milk thistle and drink coffe which is incredible for liver inflammation

Thanks x
Old 07-23-2018, 09:44 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Best thing for your liver is to quit drinking full stop.

I hardly drink now. Roughly 2 a month. I drink lager 5% but I do binge drink.
This is a little confusing ^^ are you drinking two drinks per month, or binge drinking? What does "binge" drinking mean to you?

Only way to know about the liver numbers is to go get it done. No one here can answer your question, but I tend to worry about the unknowns, so I say call the doc and find out. "Slightly elevated," doesn't sound too concerning. The doctor would have had you do more tests if he/she was concerned. Go get it done.
Old 07-23-2018, 09:51 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
Best thing for your liver is to quit drinking full stop.

This is a little confusing ^^ are you drinking two drinks per month, or binge drinking? What does "binge" drinking mean to you?

Only way to know about the liver numbers is to go get it done. No one here can answer your question, but I tend to worry about the unknowns, so I say call the doc and find out. "Slightly elevated," doesn't sound too concerning. The doctor would have had you do more tests if he/she was concerned. Go get it done.
I binge drink about twice a month. I can drink like 15 440ml can over a 24 hour
Old 07-23-2018, 10:01 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Alcohol is alcohol, so whether it's vodka or 5%ABV lager, it's still a stressor to the liver.

Binge drinking 15 drinks in 24 hours but only a couple times per month is not "better" either.

Have you considered quitting altogether? That would give your entire body a chance to heal. It's not just the liver that is being affected.
Old 07-23-2018, 10:21 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

if you are that worried about your liver, then don't drink alcohol, ever. then you are not committing further damage to your liver and other organs.
the body doesn't care if it's top shelf or pruno, it's the inherent alcohol that is the culprit.
Old 07-23-2018, 05:11 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Binge drinking is even worse than spreading the drinks out over a period of time. It also leads to blackouts which can lead to situations ranging from embarrassing, to shameful, to scary to downright dangerous.

Holly, I really hate to sound patronising but it sounds like you are bargaining with yourself. Switching from spirits to beer is still drinking alcohol. I understand binge drinking is part of the culture for young people, especially in this country.

But the fact you are here tells me that deep down you know that things aren't right with your drinking. I bargained with booze for ten years and tried to be cleverer by changing drinks, times, places etc, and I lost every single time. Please learn from our mistakes and step out the lift before it takes you down any further.

It only ever gets worse and the moderation bargains never last long. I couldn't control my alcohol intake but I can control not taking that first drink. It feels so freeing and self respecting to be sober. Come and give it a go, sobriety gives you everything alcohol promised but never delivered.
Old 07-23-2018, 10:45 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hollydoll View Post
I binge drink about twice a month. I can drink like 15 440ml can over a 24 hour
15 can binges twice a month is very harmful to health. You are shock loading your liver and causing longterm damage.
Old 07-23-2018, 10:48 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

People can lose 50% of liver function and have a normal test result. The fact you have slightly raised enzymes is a big concern.
Old 07-24-2018, 12:00 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Please remember everyone

no medical advice please - personal experience only.

10. Medical Advice: No Posts giving medical advice, medication advice, or psychiatric advice. Do not use the forum to give or ask for professional medical or psychiatric advice. If you are a medical professional, please remember the forums and chat are for peer support only and not to be used for distributing professional medical advice and/or using the forum to represent your professional services. Medical and Psychiatric advice includes giving a diagnosis, treatment plan, medication advice and dosage suggestions, over the counter and natural home remedies that should be approved by medical professionals. Detox can be dangerous and life threatening at times. Please consult with your physician.

Dee
SR