Notices

Anxiety and alcohol

Old 07-23-2018, 08:02 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Anxiety and alcohol

How to deal with anxiety after alcoholic binge, I have problems with anxiety even after I stop drinking, it's worse the day after , but even during the weeks following a binge it's still there although it's milder. Does it ever go away, I am determined to quit drinking for good I never should of gone to the wedding this past weekend , I was too weak and vulnerable after only 8 days sober , I told my wife I am not going to be going to any social events with family until I am comfortable.
Old 07-23-2018, 08:07 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

My alcohol-induced anxiety was completely gone after about 90 days. It certainly makes it harder to stop, but it's doable! Keep up the good work!
Old 07-23-2018, 08:16 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Post-binge anxiety? The answer is to quit drinking and stay quit. After that, it depends how severe your anxiety is. There are a lot of ways to address it. You might have to see a professional. If it's bad, you might need meds.

But the key is sustained sobriety. Then the level of your anxiety can be assessed.
Old 07-23-2018, 08:18 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Smart decision on avoiding events for awhile. I know I did. I had fairly severe anxiety/panic attacks after a big binge. I was back to normal on the 3rd day after. Since quitting I have had zero anxiety issues.
Old 07-23-2018, 08:56 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Alcohol fires off anxiety like nothing else. #1 is don't touch the booze no matter what. It does calm down over time, but if not, you may have an underlying anxiety disorder.
Though I think getting an appointment now with a therapist that specializes in addiction and also anxiety issues would be a very wise move.
Old 07-23-2018, 09:01 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I had terrible anxiety. It's almost completely gone now at 94 days sober. Stop drinking and you will notice a dramatic improvement.
Old 07-23-2018, 09:04 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Stop drinking for good and see if your anxiety gets better. Drinking makes anxiety a lot worse.
Old 07-23-2018, 09:12 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Nothing new or that hasn't been said - don't drink.

The anxiety that ran my life is gone now that I'm sober.

It's a simple thing. Tough as it might be to quit.
Old 07-23-2018, 09:18 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
sober style

Meditation has been a huge help for me in dealing with my anxious nature. A real game-changer as they say, although I was sober without it for the first year. I highly recommend Dan Harris's book 10% Happier, about how he dealt with his anxiety and panic attacks with meditation. He had a panic attack live on Good Morning America once, you can see it on Youtube!
Old 07-23-2018, 09:22 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

You may or may not have anxiety once you stop drinking for good.

If you do, there are healthy ways to deal with it.

You are making a good decision by avoiding social situations until you feel ready for them.
Old 07-23-2018, 03:48 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

how are you doing today Bunchie?
D
Old 07-23-2018, 05:03 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I had severe anxiety when I was a drinker. Even after a few days of not drinking it was still at levels that were quite debilitating. The good news is, literally all of the anxiety was caused by alcohol.

I have been sober 88 days now and my anxiety has practically disappeared.

It is alcohol that causes anxiety or makes it far far worse and only stopping drinking can cure it, (if what you have is alcohol induced anxiety). The only way to find out how bad your anxiety is at a baseline level is by having a prolonged period of sobriety. Say around 1 year.
Old 07-23-2018, 08:36 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
how are you doing today Bunchie?
D
Hi Dee,
I am at work now, feel very guilty about drinking at wedding, I did not get real drunk but I was on day 8 sober , and now I am on day one. I was thinking maybe I need rehab , I have the capability to stop but I always relapse , rehab might help me with that, I know the only thing that will keep me sober is my commitment rehab or not, but I am 58 years old and been binging for 40 years , tough habits, old fashioned guy very stubborn, I still drink the same beer I started with, Budweiser , so maybe I need rehab to break me of my routine.
Thank you , Dee