Notices

Turning down invites where there will be alcohol

Old 07-21-2018, 11:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Turning down invites where there will be alcohol

Hi all

I’m struggling big time. I had my gallbladder out in April and ever since then my liver has not been happy. My doctor says it’s from the surgery and meds I need to take, As a result, I’m not drinking and finding it very hard. It’s summer and i live in a beach town and there are lots of get togethers where alcohol is served. I find it too hard to be there now as a result but I am so angry and resentful that it has to be this way, I have always loved getting together with people and yes having some wine. I just turned down another invite from a lovely couple to join them for dinner because they are big wine lovers like me and I just cant be around that without wanting a big yummy glass (or 3-4) lol.

I think this is indicative of problem...it shouldn’t matter this much to me that I have to abstain .. right?
Old 07-21-2018, 12:06 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

How long have you been sober? It took me a while to get comfortable in sobriety. I avoided alcohol events for a while but now I can go anywhere and not be tempted to drink.

It will get easier the longer you're sober.
Old 07-21-2018, 12:10 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Keep away from the stuff until you have built a good defence.
I turned a best friends 50th birthday do down.
Stag do etc.
It’s your life that is at stake.
It is that serious.
Resentment is a no1 killer of alcoholics.

They will still be there when you are well and better.
What’s several months out of your life going to hurt.

Things do get easier as you learn how to live differently.

Try to come to terms with it.
Put it to rest and start your new life.
One without the boundaries that alcohol creates.

All the best to you.
Old 07-21-2018, 12:11 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Wino!

Only you can say whether you have a drinking problem or not. But it sounds like you're very responsible and do the right thing by putting your health first!

When I stopped drinking and went to social gatherings that included alcohol, I made sure that I had another kind of treat with me, so I don't feel like I miss out on the drinks so much!
Sometimes I had a fancy soda drink, or when we went to a restaurant I indulged in a tasty dessert.
Old 07-21-2018, 12:18 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
How long have you been sober? It took me a while to get comfortable in sobriety. I avoided alcohol events for a while but now I can go anywhere and not be tempted to drink.

It will get easier the longer you're sober.
I wouldn’t say I am sober. I am just not able to drink right now because of my surgical complications. . It’s been 13 days though.

BTW LOVE your quotes about your dogs! I feel exactly the same way about mine
Old 07-21-2018, 12:23 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
J50

Originally Posted by Wino10 View Post
I wouldn’t say I am sober. I am just not able to drink right now because of my surgical complications. . It’s been 13 days though.
Someone has a saying here (can't remember what member...sorry!), that you have to want to be sober more than you want to drink. After the white knuckle approach, you have to start working on your mental shift of not wanting to drink vs not being able to. The question is do you want to?
Old 07-21-2018, 12:26 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

BTW LOVE your quotes about your dogs! I feel exactly the same way about mine
Would you still consider drinking even if the doc said it would kill you.
Just maybe a little drink?

Would you consider injecting a poison even if the doc said it would kill you.
Maybe just a little amount?

Just funny how an addictive voice can make it sound ok.
Old 07-21-2018, 12:29 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by J50 View Post
Someone has a saying here (can't remember what member...sorry!), that you have to want to be sober more than you want to drink. After the white knuckle approach, you have to start working on your mental shift. The question is do you want to?

I’ve been through a lot healthwise the past 2 yrs I don’t know the answer to that question. Honestly I think I should stop but don’t know if I have the mental strength right now. I do know I drink way less than I used to and that has been a good thing and not hard to do. I am just tired and frustrated with having been sick for so long (Lyme disease).
Old 07-21-2018, 12:34 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Snowydelrico View Post
Would you still consider drinking even if the doc said it would kill you.
Just maybe a little drink?

Would you consider injecting a poison even if the doc said it would kill you.
Maybe just a little amount?

Just funny how an addictive voice can make it sound ok.
If a doctor told me it would kill me, I would never drink again. He doesn’t think my current issues are due to damage from drinking, it’s a post surgical complication (bile reflux and gastritis from gallbladder being gone). Alcohol makes bile reflux worse and the gastritis has to heal!

I am worried that abstaining has been hard, I don’t accept restrictions too well!
Old 07-21-2018, 12:43 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

That’s good to hear that you would listen to the doc.

My brain would have tried to find a way to make it ok.

Just keep abstaining and gather a few tools.
You may need them one day.

An addiction can be learned but it cannot be unlearned.
Old 07-21-2018, 01:04 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

If a doctor told me it would kill me, I would never drink again.
would you listen to a LOT of people that have been in your shoes that would tell you
alcohol WILL kill you?
would you never drink again if a LOT of members here told you
alcohol WILL kill you?
Old 07-21-2018, 02:11 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Yes, it's hard at first staying sober. But it's worth it to live a life free of addiction.

I'm the member who says that all the time, but it was our beloved CarolD who said it first: you have to want to be sober more than you want to drink.
Old 07-21-2018, 02:33 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
J50

Originally Posted by least View Post
Yes, it's hard at first staying sober. But it's worth it to live a life free of addiction.

I'm the member who says that all the time, but it was our beloved CarolD who said it first: you have to want to be sober more than you want to drink.
Now I know who to give credit to. 😀

Alcohol isn't a problem for everyone, but it's definitely a slippery slope.

If you're looking to quit, now or in the future, this site and forum will help you immensely!
Old 07-21-2018, 02:40 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

The credit goes to CarolD, our forum leader who passed several years ago. She was very wise.
Old 07-21-2018, 03:50 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Hi all

I’m struggling big time. I had my gallbladder out in April and ever since then my liver has not been happy. My doctor says it’s from the surgery and meds I need to take, As a result, I’m not drinking and finding it very hard. It’s summer and i live in a beach town and there are lots of get togethers where alcohol is served. I find it too hard to be there now as a result but I am so angry and resentful that it has to be this way, I have always loved getting together with people and yes having some wine. I just turned down another invite from a lovely couple to join them for dinner because they are big wine lovers like me and I just cant be around that without wanting a big yummy glass (or 3-4) lol.

I think this is indicative of problem...it shouldn’t matter this much to me that I have to abstain .. right?
Regardless of the difficulty, you're doing the right thing. I don't think you have a problem.