Notices

Finally, weight loss!!!

Old 07-21-2018, 09:36 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Finally, weight loss!!!

I've been a drinker for a while (30 years). Sometimes a lot and sometimes a little (only weekends). I've always been in the 210-225 zone but after turning 50 went up to a solid 227-230. I literally run and workout 5 times a week if not more and never, ever lose weight. I just maintain. We're not talking 2 miles and walking, etc. I'm talking 4-5 miles, weights, full court hoops, walking 18 holes, etc. I finally had enough 7 days ago and haven't had anything to drink.

Long and short is two things. First, when I run now (the last 3 days) it's almost effortless and I find myself going faster and feeling good about it. Am I saying I'm going to join a running team, no, but I feel like a dear running although I probably look the same. Also, now that my body doesn't have to burn off 5 drinks before it burns the fat, I have lost weight. I was 228 last week Saturday morning and was 221 this morning. No real change in diet just less calories and the calories I'm eating are actually getting shed, etc.

Just something to think about as I know many people on this forum ask about weight loss. I would read people losing 20-25 pounds in the first month, maybe they're right??!!

Thanks
Old 07-21-2018, 09:44 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

That is terrific!! Keep going strong!!
Old 07-21-2018, 09:57 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Jad,

Awesome!

I am working my way back in shape after years of having my cake.

Ime...After about a month the crave for drink ramped up. It increased for several months as I rationalized I could drink a few.

I was a binger. Sometimes drink daily..vacation..sometime quit for 2 weeks or a month to 8 months once.

The crave is for life and that is why I hear some folks that commit half heartedly to quitting end up regretting relapse.

I quit at 50 btw...seems I didn't handle the booze the same as when I was younger.

Booze is a neurotoxin that alters the cns. It is toxic and takes quality years off lives.

In the past I have spent thousands of days in a drunken state either drinking, being drunk, or recovering.

I rationalize those days were fun but there is no doubt I made some poor decisions and acted like a lunatic too many times.

SR saved my life. It is now a whole new world. I am still healing.

Thanks.
Old 07-21-2018, 10:03 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Not drinking obviously has all kinds of positive health benefits. The weight will come off for various reasons. Water retention, improved liver health, blood sugar stabilization which will help decrease hunger, not eating as much crap as we do when where drunk, etc. And yes, as you get healthier, you're workouts will become better. Congratulations on your discovery.
Old 07-21-2018, 02:43 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
AA Member

Originally Posted by ChloeRose63 View Post
That is terrific!! Keep going strong!!
+1

Old 07-22-2018, 10:55 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Awesome!!! It’s so much easier to eat properly and exercise when sober. Weight loss has been one of my favorite side effects since quitting drinking.