Notices

Alcoholic cravings

Old 07-20-2018, 12:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Alcoholic cravings

Hi my name is daniel im 21 years old and im alcoholic for the past 7 years ive been chasing the bottle alcohol has affected my life in many ways 10 day's ago i made the choice to quit ive been feeling good but today i have really bad cravings i just cant stop thinking about getting me getting a mickey or some beers im new to this website and this is my first post im just wondering what you guys do when you get cravings
Old 07-20-2018, 12:59 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

One way to stop cravings is to eat something. A full stomach does wonders for making cravings go away. Exercise helps too.
Old 07-20-2018, 01:52 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hello and welcome. You'll find a lot of support here.
I started drinking at fourteen, too. And I drank like an alcoholic from the first drink.
You're very wise to see help at such a young age.
I drank for another thirty five years. All of them alocoholicly.
It turned into a nightmare the last ten years. I was pretty much drunk all the time.

The cravings are a hard thing. As above, eating is a good idea. I also found this place and AA. Reading others stories and hearing them in person helped, too.
I wish I had some sage advice, but the longer I stayed sober, the cravings became less and less.
I also found remembering the nightmare days helps a lot and reading the newcomers threads bring me back to those days. I never want to live like that again. And I really wasn't living. I was existing to drink.
Maybe talking with a therapist would help?

I wish you the best and hope to hear more from you. Share your story. For me that was very cathartic.
You can do it, even if you have you just have to white-knuckle it.
Things will improve if you don't take that first drink.

Best to you, my friend. You can overcome this. It may take help, but you can do it.
Old 07-20-2018, 02:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Daniel230 View Post
Hi my name is daniel im 21 years old and im alcoholic for the past 7 years ive been chasing the bottle alcohol has affected my life in many ways 10 day's ago i made the choice to quit ive been feeling good but today i have really bad cravings i just cant stop thinking about getting me getting a mickey or some beers im new to this website and this is my first post im just wondering what you guys do when you get cravings
Get some exercise to release endorphins.
Old 07-20-2018, 02:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Coming here was a good move, it may help to know that the cravings come and go, when they are on you, it can feel pretty intense, however it does pass. Being mindful to the fact, ok im experiencing craving and it will pass may even help, acknowledging them helps. In the meantime, keep yourself busy. Movies, internet games, telephone conversations, going for a walk, etc x x All you have to do, is not drink for today, you could even break it down to each hour if cravings intensify, keep doing this. It will pass, they come and go, just like the waves, the key is knowing how to surf! X x
Old 07-20-2018, 03:15 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I agree accepting the craving helps if go away faster. I accept I’m craving a drink but tell myself I’m not going to have one anyway and it tends to lose its intensity quickly. Took me a while to do this instead of trying to fight them away.
Old 07-20-2018, 04:31 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Daniel - here's some of the things we do to help deal with cravings

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...-cravings.html (CarolD's tips for cravings)

Good to have you join us here - welcome

D
Old 07-20-2018, 09:33 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

I was locked up in the nut farm around the time of my 21st birthday. Court ordered treatment. By 22 I was so sick I couldn't continue and went to AA where I learned how to live a satisfying life. They had a program which dealt with the obsession of the mind, the desire to drink. That desire never manifested as a craving. It was more an out of left field "A drink would be nice" or quite often finding myself drinking without any thought at all.

When I started the program I seemed to develop some cover for those holes in my defenses. I didn't think much about drinking at all. It just didn't occur to me. Yet when I tried on my own, the drink came out of nowhere. I never saw it coming. Sometimes I could piece together a bit of a trail of bad decisions or excuses, but really I didn't know why that happened and I was powerless to prevent it.

The real problem with craving came after the first drink. That was an overpowering craving. Drinking at once became paramount to all other issues. I even lost jobs when my boss tried to get me to stop mid binge. Once in the power of the craving, there was no other possible outcome. I'm gonna drink , but there will be other jobs.

I often think of a guy called Rowland, who is talked about in the AA big book. Pre AA times, he spent a year in Europe under the care of the famous Doctor Carl Jung. He dealt with all his issues, and left Jung convinced that his problem had been solved. Afterall this was the best help that money could buy.

He got as far as Paris I believe when someone asked him the wrong question and he gave the wrong answer. " Would you like a drink?" "Yeah, thanks" and a years expensive therapy was undone in a single careless or defenceless moment. A lot of relapses happen like that, just totally casual.
Old 07-21-2018, 02:41 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I find the best way is think about something that needs doing and my involvement a problem that needs solved. I don't think of a leisure activity as it will need to compete with the craving. Something that needs sorting and demands attention.
Old 07-21-2018, 08:27 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi Mate

For me the cravings build up slowly for days before disappearing. I have found posting here and reading the posts from folks which are reaping the consiquences we younger quitters are trying to avoid helps a lot.

Short term when they are really strong I have found having a shower, going for a run or playing a computer game helps.