Notices

If I can make it sober through this...

Old 07-19-2018, 10:21 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

If I can make it sober through this...

Then I can get through anything. I am very happy this is an anonymous board right now. I found out tonight my 18 year old daughter was raped when she was 16. She has been working with detectives for over 2 years now (she didn’t tell me or anyone). Multiple girls were raped by some stud football player at our local high school. Another one of the girls who was raped begged my daughter to talk to the police a few months after the rape, so she did. They also got another girl to come forward.

Anyway, I came home tonight and my daughter was acting funny. Just sitting on the couch staring at the wall while I made dinner. Just as I finished she called me in to tell me she needed to tell me something. That’s when she explained what happened. And that the district attorney called her today and she has to testify in front of the grand jury on my birthday next month. We sat on the couch and hugged and cried for 30 minutes.

I wanted to drink. I wanted to get high. I wanted to go hunt this guy down and do unthinkable things to him. But I called my good friend who is sober and we went on a walk. And now I am on here venting.

I am not going to use. I need to be here for my daughter. But this just feels like some sick joke. And I am scared because this is the most emotional I have been since getting sober just over 2 weeks ago. I feel like I am being tested.
Old 07-19-2018, 10:44 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

As a father I cannot imagine more dreadful news, and I can see what a terrible blow this is to you. I have had some bad experiences in sobriety, it's part of life, and in my case I have reacted sanely and normally to each situation. I experienced the anger and grief that goes with certain things and was able to deal with it with a bit of help here and there. It never occurred to me to drink.
That is the position of strength I found myself in having adopted the AA way of life. I was able to survive the low spots that will come to all of us.

This is particulalrly tough as you are only two weeks in. Even the most rabid AAer would be finding it difficult to handle only two weeks in. It takes a little time to get connected to the Power that would take us through these times.

In your position I guess the most selfish and selfcentred thing I could do would be to drink. The next might be to intervene myself and bring some misfortune down on the perpetrator of such a terrible deed. It might momentarily satisfy my desire for revenge, but would most likely backfire and bring even more negative consequences for my daughter.

My only true course of action would have to be put my sobriety first, so that I can be there for my daughter, and put my own personal feelings last for the same reason. I can only suggest that you do whatever is required to stay sober and be the mother your daughter so desperately needs. That might involve getting help for yourself.

You can make it through this. External events were never the reason we might relapse, though sometimes they make a gold plated excuse. We relapse because of our internal condition and what we have not done to fix it. In otherwords our alcholism remains untreated. I have seen folks stay sober many years, leading s charmed life it seems, then the bad thing happens and they relapse. I have also seem awful things happen in the lives of newcomers, yet, if they are seriously trying to work the AA prgram, even only a week or two in, God somehow seems to keep them protected from the fatal first drink.
Old 07-19-2018, 10:56 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm really sorry Paige. I am proud of your daughter tho, and proud of you for staying sober.

lean on the support here

D
Old 07-19-2018, 11:29 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gottalife View Post
My only true course of action would have to be put my sobriety first, so that I can be there for my daughter, and put my own personal feelings last for the same reason. I can only suggest that you do whatever is required to stay sober and be the mother your daughter so desperately needs. That might involve getting help for yourself.

You can make it through this. External events were never the reason we might relapse, though sometimes they make a gold plated excuse. We relapse because of our internal condition and what we have not done to fix it. In otherwords our alcholism remains untreated.
Gottalife- yes, this is so true. I had the same thought- this would just be an excuse. And I DO NOT WANT TO DRINK! This is the worst choice possible. I know that. It was just scary that this was my knee-jerk reaction.

This has been a REALLY crummy time. My father died last month and I have been really grieving that. Then THIS! I will say that my reaction would have been much worse if I were still using. I realize just how mad I was everyday. I had that “see? The universe picks on me” kind of mentality. But I was able to back away tonight and realize that life is just rough sometimes.

I am absolutely going to make it through this. I am so happy to be able to be present for my daughter who definitely needs me now. I am winding down my 17th day of sobriety and I know there is nothing more important than my recovery.

Thanks for your response. It helped me.

And Dee- thank you too! I will lean on you all. This forum has helped me a LOT!
Old 07-20-2018, 04:42 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Good morning Paige. I hope you managed to get some sleep. I thought it might be nice to start your day knowing that we are thinking of you and you difficulties.

I have found it helpful to take a few minutes quiet time and think about what whatever Power there is in the universe, would want me to be doing today, asking that it give me the strength to do the right thing with the right motives.I also ask that it send me the right thoughts or actions for any rough spots that come along, and take away any nutty thoughts.

This simple practice seems to set me up for the day, as long as I follow through on what I know needs to be done.

God bless,
Old 07-20-2018, 05:07 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Paige, I'll be praying for you as you go through this. You're so right - drinking can never be an answer for us. It brings no comfort, just adds to the anxiety of what we're trying to cope with. We can't deal with trauma such as this while in a fog. I'm so thankful we finally know that.

Sending love to you - and I'm very glad you posted about what happened. Prayers for you and your girl are going up.
Old 07-20-2018, 05:31 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Oh my Gosh as the mother of a 17 yr old girl I can't imagine. She's dropped a couple of bomb shells on me this past year but nothing like this.

I hope she is doing ok and is getting some help, or you plan some help for her. The lasting effects of an assault can be significant if not dealt with. I have dealt with something similar myself and it had far reaching implications. I'm hoping the police have encouraged her to talk to you and that they are going to give you resources to help her. I hope that you plan to talk with them and be involved in the process from here on out. She may be 18 but it sounds like she lives at home and is still dependent. Frankly, I'm surprised they didn't call you them selves if she is still in high school. Ugh.

You will not regret staying sober through this and keeping the focus squarely where it belongs....on the victim.
Old 07-20-2018, 07:00 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Paige,

I am so very sorry to hear this. Sending you and your daughter love and support.
Old 07-20-2018, 07:45 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

We went through this with our daughter, and it is truly horrible. I am so sorry that you’re going through this. The pain can be crushing.

1) your daughter is a rockstar. I am so proud of her, and I don’t even know her! What an amazing thing to do - it takes so much courage to pursue your attackers. She is a true survivor. I am just amazed that at 16 she had the strength to do this. Incredible, and kudos to you for raising such a warrior.

2) this is the hard one. This is not about you. Nothing about this scenario is about you or your feelings. It’s about your daughter. It is so easy for us to get focused on our pain and how we feel. But you didn’t experience the traumatic event - she did. So yes, you’re having pain now, but it’s because of your empathy for your daughter. You are not the one that suffered here, she is. I know that you know that, but it was difficult for me sometimes to separate myself from my daughter and let her drive the bus. It also can be a “good” excuse to drink/use if we let ourselves see ourselves as victims. She isn’t a victim - she’s a survivor. And witnessing her pain doesn’t make you a victim either.

3) I mentioned it in 2, but this is her bus to drive. In my family’s case, it was essential to my daughter’s healing that she controlled all of her decisions after the fact. We gave advice, perspectives, and support, but that was it. It was tempting for me to jump in and try to fix everything, but you can’t. She’s powerful, and she has to remember that, or re-find her power within. You can remind her, but in our experience, our daughter needed to be able to wrest control back for herself.

Good luck, mama. You have got this. And again, I am so, so sorry for your daughter and for you. Sending love your way.
Old 07-20-2018, 08:59 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

omg that is unthinkable and painful. nothing other than a big cyber hug to you.
Old 07-20-2018, 09:01 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by eyes99 View Post
We went through this with our daughter, and it is truly horrible. I am so sorry that you’re going through this. The pain can be crushing.

1) your daughter is a rockstar. I am so proud of her, and I don’t even know her! What an amazing thing to do - it takes so much courage to pursue your attackers. She is a true survivor. I am just amazed that at 16 she had the strength to do this. Incredible, and kudos to you for raising such a warrior.

2) this is the hard one. This is not about you. Nothing about this scenario is about you or your feelings. It’s about your daughter. It is so easy for us to get focused on our pain and how we feel. But you didn’t experience the traumatic event - she did. So yes, you’re having pain now, but it’s because of your empathy for your daughter. You are not the one that suffered here, she is. I know that you know that, but it was difficult for me sometimes to separate myself from my daughter and let her drive the bus. It also can be a “good” excuse to drink/use if we let ourselves see ourselves as victims. She isn’t a victim - she’s a survivor. And witnessing her pain doesn’t make you a victim either.

3) I mentioned it in 2, but this is her bus to drive. In my family’s case, it was essential to my daughter’s healing that she controlled all of her decisions after the fact. We gave advice, perspectives, and support, but that was it. It was tempting for me to jump in and try to fix everything, but you can’t. She’s powerful, and she has to remember that, or re-find her power within. You can remind her, but in our experience, our daughter needed to be able to wrest control back for herself.

Good luck, mama. You have got this. And again, I am so, so sorry for your daughter and for you. Sending love your way.
First- thanks to everyone for your support. Eyes- it’s so interesting that you said it’s not about me. The first thing she said was just that- “Mom, this is NOT about you so please don’t make it about you. Just listen and don’t ask me a million questions.”
Old 07-20-2018, 09:16 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PaigeMasters View Post
First- thanks to everyone for your support. Eyes- it’s so interesting that you said it’s not about me. The first thing she said was just that- “Mom, this is NOT about you so please don’t make it about you. Just listen and don’t ask me a million questions.”
I mentioned it because I’ve been there. We found out about six years ago over here. My daughter had just turned 18 and was in her first semester of college when it happened. We found it about it when she was almost 20. The good news is that we made it through and she is living an amazing life. The bad news is that all of us had to sort through a mess of emotions to make it here. It wasn’t a short road.

But you all can do this!! You really, really can. You can all not only survive, but thrive.

Sending thoughts of every good thing, and if you ever want to chat privately, just send me a PM.

All my best!
Old 07-20-2018, 09:17 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gottalife View Post
Good morning Paige. I hope you managed to get some sleep. I thought it might be nice to start your day knowing that we are thinking of you and you difficulties.

I have found it helpful to take a few minutes quiet time and think about what whatever Power there is in the universe, would want me to be doing today, asking that it give me the strength to do the right thing with the right motives.I also ask that it send me the right thoughts or actions for any rough spots that come along, and take away any nutty thoughts.

This simple practice seems to set me up for the day, as long as I follow through on what I know needs to be done.

God bless,
I cannot thank you enough for this. I woke up this morning after only a few hours of sleep and first thought “oh thank God I am sober!” And then I thought about my daughter and I jolted out of my bed.

I am enjoying quiet coffee time and trying to get centered. I cannot tell you how much I appreciate this post.

It’s all so surreal.
Old 07-20-2018, 09:28 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by eyes99 View Post
I mentioned it because I’ve been there. We found out about six years ago over here. My daughter had just turned 18 and was in her first semester of college when it happened. We found it about it when she was almost 20. The good news is that we made it through and she is living an amazing life. The bad news is that all of us had to sort through a mess of emotions to make it here. It wasn’t a short road.

But you all can do this!! You really, really can. You can all not only survive, but thrive.

Sending thoughts of every good thing, and if you ever want to chat privately, just send me a PM.

All my best!
I am so sorry you have dealt with this, too. It happened when she was 16 and in high school. She is turning 19 next month and finished her first year of college (living at home) this past year. I have now put it all together as something did happen when she was 16 and I was contacted by a resource officer. But no one knew she was raped because she kept it secret. I even asked her and she denied it.

I want to know more but she has begged me to back off and I must respect that. She was a minor at the tons but isn’t anymore so I don’t really think I can talk to the DA?? Evidently we will be getting the summons today. She wants me to drive her to the grand jury trial but as I understand no one can be in there. I anticipate a long, legal road ahead of us. Fortunately one of the girls got a rape kit so I am assuming there is DNA evidence.

I don’t even know his name. But I just need to back off and support her. As you said and she said- it’ not about me. My only role is to support her. I think she will tell me more as time goes on. But I won’t push. Plus it’s probably better I don’t know his name, honestly. I will find out in due time- hopefully when he is behind bars.
Old 07-20-2018, 11:32 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thinking of you and your daughter.
I think you are both showing tremendous courage and strength.
Old 07-20-2018, 12:04 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

Paige, I'm so sorry about what happened to your daughter. She is courageous and brave to be dealing with the legal aspects of what happened to her and the other girls.

It sounds like you are doing well yourself and you know you will stay sober. I dealt with an issue in early recovery - my 19 yr old daughter was stalked by an unknown man for a full year. I felt like I was in a bad movie. But, like you, I told myself, this is a test. If I can get through this, I can get through anything.
Old 07-20-2018, 01:03 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PaigeMasters View Post
Then I can get through anything. I am very happy this is an anonymous board right now. I found out tonight my 18 year old daughter was raped when she was 16. She has been working with detectives for over 2 years now (she didn’t tell me or anyone). Multiple girls were raped by some stud football player at our local high school. Another one of the girls who was raped begged my daughter to talk to the police a few months after the rape, so she did. They also got another girl to come forward.

Anyway, I came home tonight and my daughter was acting funny. Just sitting on the couch staring at the wall while I made dinner. Just as I finished she called me in to tell me she needed to tell me something. That’s when she explained what happened. And that the district attorney called her today and she has to testify in front of the grand jury on my birthday next month. We sat on the couch and hugged and cried for 30 minutes.

I wanted to drink. I wanted to get high. I wanted to go hunt this guy down and do unthinkable things to him. But I called my good friend who is sober and we went on a walk. And now I am on here venting.

I am not going to use. I need to be here for my daughter. But this just feels like some sick joke. And I am scared because this is the most emotional I have been since getting sober just over 2 weeks ago. I feel like I am being tested.
You are being tested, this is real life, but you can regain control over how you feel and empower yourself with healthy behavior because you value supporting your family. This what addiction is all about, regaining control of circumstances (helpless feelings) with healthy empowering behavior instead of the quick fix or mood changer of alcohol.
Keep up the good work.
Old 07-20-2018, 03:52 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Paige, I just want to give you my fullest support. Your posts show how determined you are to be there for your daughter, sober and with her all the way through this. I hope your daughter, and you, have people around you to help you and give you the support you need.

From my limited experience dealing with issues like this, there is most healing for all involved when the community comes together and supports each other. Lean on them too for support.

Much love.
Old 07-20-2018, 04:09 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Big hugs to you Paige. And to your daughter. My heart goes out to you. I had a serious problem with my son last year when I was four months sober and I ended up relapsing. It was just too much for me.
It's not about you, but in a way, it is. This is a huge thing for you to deal with. It's huge for any parent, but it's especially hard for you right now because of your early sobriety.
I hope you can get all the support you can possibly find. I will certainly be here for you, and I know the rest of SR will be, too. I hope you can get some face to face time with people, too. Friends or counselor or family or hopefully all of that.
Hang in there, we are all here for you!
Old 07-21-2018, 12:59 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Thank you ALL for your amazing support! It’s been a busy day today so will write more tomorrow. I am making it through this! Again- thank you all... your support means a lot to me.