Notices

Just not a Good Day

Old 07-18-2018, 08:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Just not a Good Day

So i went to the dr. today...i went on and on about how exhausted I have been lately. We talked about PAWS( which she wasn't to knowledgeable on), hormones, my thyroid (i have hypothyroidism). On a positive note, blood pressure was great 113/80..2 visits ago, when i was still drinking 133/90..She drew blood for b 12 and vitamin D...then she tells me there is a small nodule by my thyroid.which was not there in January. Me freaking out asking," OMG do you think I have cancer?" She said no and people can get nodules sometimes..yet wants me to go for an MRI. So i have cried a few times today...I honestly am terrified..and keep thinking out of all the stuff Ive been thru in my life...ironic if I had cancer. She tried to highlight how proud I should be that I havent drank in nearly 8 months..and I am of course...but my mind keeps wandering to cancer...I so wasnt expecting any of this today..or any day.
Old 07-18-2018, 08:54 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Sobreuity

I know it must be scary but your drs first instinct was to say no she didn't think it was cancer. I'd trust in that for now.

The MRI is no doubt just to make absolutely sure

stay off Dr Google too - it serves no purpose but to feed your fear.

D
Old 07-18-2018, 09:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Hi Sobreuity

I know it must be scary but your drs first instinct was to say no she didn't think it was cancer. I'd trust in that for now.

The MRI is no doubt just to make absolutely sure

stay off Dr Google too - it serves no purpose but to feed your fear.

D
I know you are right..and you know ive been googling away..and one of the signs is severe fatigue..she told me she thinks my thyroid hormone is off..and she would have results for that tomorrow. She also said my body can take along time to get back to my set point from the years of abuse with alcohol..and also hormones play a factor she thinks too. Stupid me scheduled the MRI for Monday..so I have all weekend to worry. Perhaps I should take the as needed anti anxiety pills i was prescribed in January.😏. Thank you for your positive outlook!
Old 07-18-2018, 09:06 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I had a health scare not too long ago - it all came out totally fine - I wish the same for you too

D
Old 07-18-2018, 09:11 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=Dee74;6958585]I had a health scare not too long ago - it all came out totally fine - I wish the same for you too

D[/QUOTE
Thank you! I am glad it worked out for you! I think even though im not drinking, there are still things i need to change for my health. Maybe this is again another wake up call.
Old 07-19-2018, 05:33 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yes, I 've had some health scares, too. In fact, I'm in the middle of one right now.
I had an Echo done on my heart and haven't heard the results yet. So that's kind of freaking me out. I was a very heavy smoker while drinking, so that was for a long time.
I'm hoping the best for both of us. and it is certainly nothing to drink over and congratulations on your sobriety time.
Old 07-19-2018, 07:36 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ghostlight1 View Post
Yes, I 've had some health scares, too. In fact, I'm in the middle of one right now.
I had an Echo done on my heart and haven't heard the results yet. So that's kind of freaking me out. I was a very heavy smoker while drinking, so that was for a long time.
I'm hoping the best for both of us. and it is certainly nothing to drink over and congratulations on your sobriety time.
Thank you! I hope everything works out for you too! May I ask how you quit smoking? That is something I need to do also...
Old 07-19-2018, 08:34 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Sure you can ask.
I quit using a stop smoking aid called Nicotrol. In the U.S. you need a prescription for it. But, man, does it work. Makes you not even want a cigarette.
And I had gotten up to a pack and half or two a day.
I highly recommend it, but if your insurance doesn't cover it, it's very expensive.
I know people who have quit using the patch or the gum, too. So there's more than one way to skin a cat

Best to you with quitting. It was harder for me to quit smoking than it was to stop drinking.
Old 07-19-2018, 09:42 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ghostlight1 View Post
Sure you can ask.
I quit using a stop smoking aid called Nicotrol. In the U.S. you need a prescription for it. But, man, does it work. Makes you not even want a cigarette.
And I had gotten up to a pack and half or two a day.
I highly recommend it, but if your insurance doesn't cover it, it's very expensive.

I know people who have quit using the patch or the gum, too. So there's more than one way to skin a cat

Best to you with quitting. It was harder for me to quit smoking than it was to stop drinking.
My dr. mentioned it yesterday...she suggested i wheen..i kinda looked at her funny...then she told me if i have the will to quit drinking i can quit smoking...but smoking is so habitual..i wake up i smoke, im driving by myself i smoke..you know! Maybe ill ask her for a prescription tomorrow when she calls w my blood results..thanks!!😊
Old 07-20-2018, 05:48 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi, Sobriety.
Not a doctor by any means, but I think that if the nodule was a concern, your doc would have said so.
I have had hyperthyroidism, now hypo as a result of a radioactive iodine nuke. I believe thyroid nodules are pretty common, though of course, it should be thoroughly checked out.
Good luck and good thoughts.
Old 07-20-2018, 03:40 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Maudcat View Post
Hi, Sobriety.
Not a doctor by any means, but I think that if the nodule was a concern, your doc would have said so.
I have had hyperthyroidism, now hypo as a result of a radioactive iodine nuke. I believe thyroid nodules are pretty common, though of course, it should be thoroughly checked out.
Good luck and good thoughts.
Thank you! I had it looked at today..longest however long it was experience ive had in awhile. Then i got home and burst into tears. I guess ill find out Monday when my dr reads my results. I could really use a drink right about now...why did you have the nuke? Do you feel better now that you had it?
Old 07-20-2018, 04:26 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

have faith that good things can happen to alcoholics sober
I hope you have a good weekend, all things considered

D
Old 07-20-2018, 08:01 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I was diagnosed many years ago, and the prevailing school of thought was that it was far easier and safer to treat hypo (low) thyroidism than hyper. The nuke wiped out my thyroid and I have taken and still take levothyroxin thyroid supplement.
It’s fine. I feel great.
I don’t know what the medical thinking is now. Things may have changed.
Good luck. Try not to worry. Hoping everything will be fine.
Old 07-24-2018, 10:55 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Maudcat View Post
I was diagnosed many years ago, and the prevailing school of thought was that it was far easier and safer to treat hypo (low) thyroidism than hyper. The nuke wiped out my thyroid and I have taken and still take levothyroxin thyroid supplement.
It’s fine. I feel great.
I don’t know what the medical thinking is now. Things may have changed.
Good luck. Try not to worry. Hoping everything will be fine.
I found out I have a nodule on my actual thyroid..i have an appointment with an endocrinologst..i was freaking out the last few days...but today, im okay with it. I feel maybe this is really a blessing. Endos are experts on hormones..and my general dr is not. Maybe the nodule is no biggie..

Last edited by Sobriety2018; 07-24-2018 at 10:56 PM. Reason: Adding
Old 07-24-2018, 11:20 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think that's a good attitude to have
best wishes for your next appointment sobriety2018
Old 07-25-2018, 04:14 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Rar

I understand your anxiety and fear as I'm also going through a health scare myself. I have a confirmed nodule in my lung. Waiting 6 months to see if it grows. Though most nodules are noncancerous, my age and former smoking status are statistically against me.

I quit smoking 7 years ago. I tried every method possible and finally started vaping. I have several friends who also quit smoking successfully by vaping. I have been doing this too long and need to start to wean myself off. I wish you good luck in quitting.

Good luck. Keep us posted on your nodule and your smoking. Hang in there. You will get through this. .