Notices

Do I need a new plan?

Old 07-18-2018, 03:01 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Do I need a new plan?

I was doing well for a while and recently went about 5 weeks without drinking. I drank again about a week ago, and then a little again today. I did not drink in excess, however, either time. I do notice that since I drank I again, slight cravings have come back.

Should I try to revert back to the old plan that got me 5 months? Or try something else? To be honest, I tend to drink out of boredom and/or stress.
Old 07-18-2018, 03:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I do notice that since I drank I again, slight cravings have come back.
that is the concerning part. there are many posts/threads here from people that had the same experience . many of them ended up worse off because alcoholism is progressive.

should you revert back to the old plan?
idk- maybe some tweaking of it. might want to think about what led to the drink and what wasnt done to stop it from happening.
Old 07-18-2018, 03:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by YCDT2 View Post
Should I try to revert back to the old plan that got me 5 months?
I don't know. What was your plan?

If it didn't account for boredom and stress you will need to add to it.
Old 07-18-2018, 03:43 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

If what you were doing didn't keep you sober, it's time to change the plan.
Old 07-18-2018, 04:25 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi YCDT

I think the great thing about plans is you can change them - keep elements that work, discard elements that don't....

obviously you learned some stuff about what makes you drink by 'going out' again - why not incorporate some of what you've learned into a new plan?

D
Old 07-18-2018, 04:34 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I was doing well for a while and recently went about 5 weeks without drinking. I drank again about a week ago, and then a little again today. I did not drink in excess, however, either time. I do notice that since I drank I again, slight cravings have come back.

Should I try to revert back to the old plan that got me 5 months? Or try something else? To be honest, I tend to drink out of boredom and/or stress.
A couple of questions I'd ask before answering yours: What was your plan? And - were you still following it when you decided to drink?

Boredom and stress are everyday parts of everyone's life, so you likely need to find a more effective way of dealing with them than drinking alcohol.
Old 07-19-2018, 05:51 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
A couple of questions I'd ask before answering yours: What was your plan? And - were you still following it when you decided to drink?

Boredom and stress are everyday parts of everyone's life, so you likely need to find a more effective way of dealing with them than drinking alcohol.
No, I was not following it when I began drinking again. Had a problem with my computer and lost my online diary and couldnt come here as much, so I lost track of my sobriety days and had nobody to talk to about it really.

I dont think that was the sole reason, but it didnt help for sure.
Old 07-19-2018, 06:27 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tomsteve View Post
I do notice that since I drank I again, slight cravings have come back.
that is the concerning part. there are many posts/threads here from people that had the same experience . many of them ended up worse off because alcoholism is progressive.

should you revert back to the old plan?
idk- maybe some tweaking of it. might want to think about what led to the drink and what wasnt done to stop it from happening.
Right. It kind of is like a "success" in my mind (or rather my AV), that I drank only a few an stopped. My AV is like "that is like a regular drinker, see...you can do it". But, I know it would catch up to me eventually and I would end up going overboard at some point.
Old 07-19-2018, 06:30 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

The bottom line for me is I don't drink - no matter what.

Crashing computers, getting a $3000 repair bill, my cat dying, an argument, getting a bad diagnosis, breaking a bone, going to a wedding, having a milestone birthday, going to a rock concert, losing an online diary or a treasured piece of jewelry, none of those things are things over which I drink.

There can't be any loopholes in that plan.
Old 07-19-2018, 06:42 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
The bottom line for me is I don't drink - no matter what.

Crashing computers, getting a $3000 repair bill, my cat dying, an argument, getting a bad diagnosis, breaking a bone, going to a wedding, having a milestone birthday, going to a rock concert, losing an online diary or a treasured piece of jewelry, none of those things are things over which I drink.

There can't be any loopholes in that plan.
I didnt really drink because of that, I just think it didnt help to not have my coping mechanism and having to adapt didnt work out too well. I guess that is something I have to work on. Things dont always go as planned. I try to use my diary and coming here to keep the
AV at bay and remind myself that I have a problem, but its always trying to sneak back in there like "nah, no problem...your fine" lol
Old 07-19-2018, 08:44 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

AV at bay and remind myself that I have a problem, but its always trying to sneak back in there like "nah, no problem...your fine" lol

and for every problem there is a solution,correct?
a solution that doesnt involve alcohol,right?
Old 07-19-2018, 12:33 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

If your old one worked while you worked it, then maybe just make sure you keep working it. I suppose you could add some more things in so that you're less reliant on technology maybe. No need to chuck the baby out with the bathwater though. Sounds like the problem wasn't with your plan, more that you did what a lot of people do , and got a but complement when you started to feel some relief (I know I did that myself at times). If it works when you work it, then work it, you're worth it!

BB