Notices

Fatty Liver Diagnosis, Waiting for See Heptologist

Old 07-18-2018, 12:41 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Fatty Liver Diagnosis, Waiting for See Heptologist

So on my 50th birthday last week I was diagnosed with fatty liver following an ultrasound a month ago. I'm waiting to see heptologist for a fibroscan (or to arrange a biopsy I guess if that's not possible).

No real surprise if I'm honest with myself, although I somehow thought it wouldn't happen to me. I wish I'd read this forum and other information many years ago rather than keeping my head in the sand. Anyway, that's all water under the bridge.

At the moment I've having mood swings between "wait and see" and "scared to death".

I've been steady-drinking throughout the day every day for at least 2-3 years. Rarely really feeling drunk but always with alcohol in my stream. I binged in my late teens and early 20's. I've drunk at least some alcohol most days for about 30 years with a few breaks along the way.

Since I got the news I tapered over 5 days and am about to hit my first 24 hour period AF very shortly as I post this.

I've noticed symptoms over a period that, now I've done research, could be 100% related to drinking. And more recently - especially since the diagnosis I've had pain in the area where my liver is. It's probably been there for a while but I suffer from IBS and persistent stomach pain in general, so I might have been rationalizing it away. But there are also heat flashes, hypertension, pins and needles, and some loss of skin sensation in areas,

In 2015 my blood tests showed high GGT (in the 400's) but my doctor didn't take too much notice saying I might have just had some alcohol in my bloodstream. Then in 2016 I had a test where GGT was normal. I had a couple of tests after that but they were for other things and didn't show the GGT. Then earlier this year I had a test in which GGT was not included but ALP and ALT were out of range. That's when he sent me for an ultrasound, and that's when they found fatty liver. If I was smart I would have stopped drinking when I was first referred. If I was smarter still I wouldn't be in this situation.

Anyway, with all the physical symptoms I'm kind of thinking that the news is going to be on the worser side of the available bad options.

I KNOW nobody here can give me any kind of expectation for my own situation. But I would be interested to hear from others who have been in a similar situation i.e. fatty liver diagnosed, no fibroscan/biopsy yet, but getting these kind of chronic physical symptoms.

For better or worse I'd be interested to hear how things turned out. At the moment I'm pretty low, but I've been searching around and of course there are always hopeful stories and plenty of horror stories.

And I guess I just came here for some support while I wait - not that i deserve it.
Old 07-18-2018, 12:53 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tri6873 View Post
. I've noticed symptoms over a period that, now I've done research, could be 100% related to drinking. And more recently - especially since the diagnosis I've had pain in the area where my liver is. It's probably been there for a while but I suffer from IBS and persistent stomach pain in general, so I might have been rationalizing it away. But there are also heat flashes, hypertension, pins and needles, and some loss of skin sensation in areas,

In 2015 my blood tests showed high GGT (in the 400's) but my doctor didn't take too much notice saying I might have just had some alcohol in my bloodstream. Then in 2016 I had a test where GGT was normal. I had a couple of tests after that but they were for other things and didn't show the GGT. Then earlier this year I had a test in which GGT was not included but ALP and ALT were out of range. That's when he sent me for an ultrasound, and that's when they found fatty liver. If I was smart I would have stopped drinking when I was first referred. If I was smarter still I wouldn't be in this situation.

Anyway, with all the physical symptoms I'm kind of thinking that the news is going to be on the worser side of the available bad options

And I guess I just came here for some support while I wait - not that i deserve it.
Tri,

I’m 40 and have known for over 3 years that I have a fatty liver, liver enzymes off the charts, and (within the past year) new growths on my liver. That didn’t stop me from regularly getting hammered!

I’m now on sober day 35 and getting some imaging and blood work done to see what exactly is going on with my liver. Like you, I also have IBS and food sensitivities and always blamed my severe liver pain on that. Guess what? Since stopping drinking, I am able to manage my diet better and have decreased my liver pain significantly.

One final word: you do deserve support. We may have caused our own medical problems but we still deserve support through the process. Hang in there!
Old 07-18-2018, 01:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Good luck on your sober journey and wishing you a good prognosis.
Old 07-18-2018, 01:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
J50

I too was diagnosed with fatty liver. The good news is that it is eversible depending on how far along it is. Keep in mind that not only does alcohol contribute to it, but non-alcoholic fatty liver is on the rise due to dietary consumption. My understanding is that is difficult to determine between the two without a biopsy. With that being said, stop drinking, clean up your diet, and work with your doctor and you should be ok!
Old 07-18-2018, 01:39 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Sending you my support....of course you deserve it. Addiction doesn't lend itself to rational decisions.
Well done on quitting and the very best of luck with the tests.
Old 07-18-2018, 02:21 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Atlast9999 View Post
Tri,

I’m 40 and have known for over 3 years that I have a fatty liver, liver enzymes off the charts, and (within the past year) new growths on my liver. That didn’t stop me from regularly getting hammered!

I’m now on sober day 35 and getting some imaging and blood work done to see what exactly is going on with my liver. Like you, I also have IBS and food sensitivities and always blamed my severe liver pain on that. Guess what? Since stopping drinking, I am able to manage my diet better and have decreased my liver pain significantly.
Thank you Atlast. That last part is encouraging to hear. I know exactly the right diet to follow - a few years back I even created a high-protein, low (bad) carb, recipe website, and lost a lot of weight myself.

Then life got rough and I fell off the wagon and as the drinking went up the diet went out the window.

I know what to do. I just hope I have time to do it.

And all the best to you on staying sober. Keep going. I now know how much it's worth it, even though a lifelong habit is hard to break.

One final word: you do deserve support. We may have caused our own medical problems but we still deserve support through the process. Hang in there!
I really appreciate you saying this. My self-esteem is definitely at a low. I appreciate the kind words.
Old 07-18-2018, 02:23 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

doggonecarl, J50 & DarklingSong ...

Thanks so much.
Old 07-18-2018, 02:35 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Yeah fatty liver also, numbers though the roof. Been sober for 8 1/2 months . Numbers back to normal , liver still fatty but I feel a helluva lot better. Drank for 40 yrs lots of damage done.
Old 07-18-2018, 02:43 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Wishing you positive outcomes Tri. Worry isn't going to change a thing but an action plan (not drinking) is. You'll no doubt have access to important materials that your doctor's clinic will give you. Diet can do wonders, watch the fats and fried foods, the processed foods. Vegges have their own healing properties. You can do this.
Old 07-18-2018, 04:52 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome tri6873
No experience to share but I hope they find your problem is easily reversible

congrats on day one. Have to ask tho - if you get the all clear , do you think drinking again may enter your head?

D
Old 07-19-2018, 03:24 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Hi and welcome tri6873
congrats on day one. Have to ask tho - if you get the all clear , do you think drinking again may enter your head?

D
Hi Dee

That's a very good question. Right now I've been shaken up into not drinking. And I believe I will stick with it through to a diagnosis.

But if I'm honest I can see a future me who would start to rationalize again - especially if this were reversible for now.

I don't know what I should be doing now to prepare for that eventually and kill off that "future version of me" if it gets the chance to exist.

Maybe the warnings from the heptologist will be sufficient. But I've had warnings from outside all my life from time to time - family and doctors. It feels like I need to sustain what I feel now, even if the fear subsides, and I don't know how I'll do that.
Old 07-19-2018, 03:55 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

And Dee - you've got me thinking this through now. For example, what if in the unlikely scenario all my physical symptoms related to this abated while I am still awaiting a diagnosis. Will I be as strong then? I really appreciate you raising the question as it's causing me to think ahead, rather than just focusing on how I feel now.
Old 07-19-2018, 04:06 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

I made a lot of mistakes Glad I sparked a little thought

For me fear went a long way but it did exhaust itself.
what went farther was a sincere desire for change

D
Old 07-19-2018, 04:43 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I'm 44.

In 2014, at my annual physical, my liver numbers were abnormally high. My doctor told me I likely had a liver "under stress" from too much alcohol. This was based on the alcoholic intake I was prepared to confess to on my medical form which was about HALF my actual intake. He advised me to cut down. Of course I didn't.

I finally quit 15 months later and my new doctor took my bloods and the numbers were even higher. I had symptoms like a dull ache in my side, gagging in the mornings, tiredness, bruising etc. Three months after I quit, my liver readings were back to normal. I have been exercising regularly too and eating cleanly.

I would never go back to drinking even though my health is in general extremely good now. My response to that thought is, like, are you nuts? Why would I put my health in jeopardy again after working so hard to restore it? I'm healthy, goddammit it, the healthiest I've ever been, plus happier than ever, better off financially than ever, and all the rest.

I know sobriety is simple but not easy. I do accept that. But the steps I took were pretty simple. Not saying you will have the same positive result but obviously it makes sense to stop drinking completely, for ever, if you have damaged your liver.
Old 07-19-2018, 05:04 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Everyone deserves support, and we will give it to you. The liver can heal, so that's the good news.
Old 07-19-2018, 06:11 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

And Dee - you've got me thinking this through now. For example, what if in the unlikely scenario all my physical symptoms related to this abated while I am still awaiting a diagnosis. Will I be as strong then? I really appreciate you raising the question as it's causing me to think ahead, rather than just focusing on how I feel now.
Today, driving along, I saw a woman smoking. Now I gave up smoking over 5 years ago. Never (day to day, week to week, month to month) even think about it let alone get cravings. Would never ever EVERRRR smoke again. So this random thought popped into my head today and it made me laugh because this is the addictive nature of that AV voice....

"Isn't she lucky"

WTF!!

Stay on guard because your AV will talk you into drinking whatever the outcome.

#anydaywithayinit
Old 07-19-2018, 07:42 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soberista View Post
Today, driving along, I saw a woman smoking. Now I gave up smoking over 5 years ago. Never (day to day, week to week, month to month) even think about it let alone get cravings. Would never ever EVERRRR smoke again. So this random thought popped into my head today and it made me laugh because this is the addictive nature of that AV voice....

"Isn't she lucky"

WTF!!

Stay on guard because your AV will talk you into drinking whatever the outcome.

#anydaywithayinit
This is so true soberista.

I smoked in my late teens until mid-20's. Then I gave up. It was actually not too difficult. But then there would be just sometimes in certain situations, even 20 years later) where I'd catch a whiff and think, ooh I could enjoy one right now.

The weird thing is I never did enjoy it even though I was up to 40 a day. I enjoyed the very occasional weed (which I also gave up), but the smoking was really nothing more than a habit.

For me I think what will be more difficult with drink is that I really do feel in my mind that I enjoy certain alcoholic beverages. I like the taste. I like the buzz.

That's what I'm worried about compared to smoking. Will I ever be able to look at drink and think ... naahh I wouldn't even enjoy it?
Old 07-19-2018, 08:01 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

This is so true soberista.

I smoked in my late teens until mid-20's. Then I gave up. It was actually not too difficult. But then there would be just sometimes in certain situations, even 20 years later) where I'd catch a whiff and think, ooh I could enjoy one right now.

The weird thing is I never did enjoy it even though I was up to 40 a day. I enjoyed the very occasional weed (which I also gave up), but the smoking was really nothing more than a habit.

For me I think what will be more difficult with drink is that I really do feel in my mind that I enjoy certain alcoholic beverages. I like the taste. I like the buzz.

That's what I'm worried about compared to smoking. Will I ever be able to look at drink and think ... naahh I wouldn't even enjoy it?
I am very early into my sobriety so I am not sure I have the answer. From personal experience my observations are that although even now I do get days/times when something triggers the AV so for example the hot weather in the UK is wonderful however there are a larger number of adverts/pushes (or so it seems?) for perhaps a cold glass of wine. The imagery they use when pushing it is very, in itself, to me intoxicating. Condensation on the glass, pictures of Provence yadeyadeyah. It ticks every box for me to set me up for a discussion with my AV that goes something like this...

"Wouldn't it be so nice to have a cold glass of Rose? You know you've been sober now for so long, one glass, well it would be really relaxing, like other grown ups do, like other normal adults do choosing to have a nice relaxing time with friends, kicking back...and so on and so on and so on. *Yawns

I interject. "Yes! It would be nice. But I dont "do" one glass. One glass would, without a shadow of a doubt, lead me to having such desires that I would not be able to stop in pouring glass number 2...and boy oh boy I would be drinking then...like we gonna party because why not? I dont have a dial set to one or two, I have a switch set to on or off and that one would trip that switch...and then I would finish the bottle and the sense of well why not push the boat out and commence sober living in the morning would kick in and hey presto! Quicker than you can say Jack the Ripper I would have got another bottle uncorked and half empty. The enjoyment and behaving like "normal people" a mere blurry mystery. I would continue to play the tape to the next day, a headache, anxiety, guilt, shame, carb loading, poor blood sugar levels, loss of this wonderful sober life and you know what Tri? The glass of wine doesnt seem to hold its attraction anymore.

You need a plan. A tickertape to play in your head from start to messy finish.
Old 07-19-2018, 03:40 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

Will I ever be able to look at drink and think ... naahh I wouldn't even enjoy it?
I'm often around drinkers as a musician and most often I only realise they were drinking later

D