Notices

Ptsd

Old 07-17-2018, 08:50 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Ptsd

Hello!
I've written about the PTSD a few times already on this forum. However, I've recently begun to really focus on working through this. There are challenges with this because there are several events that have contributed to it and sorting it all out is proving challenging.

I'm reading books on this. I also meditate, exercise daily and [try] to eat clean.

One thing that I've noticed is that meditating with my meditation group is better for me than meditating on my own. I haven't figured out why. I think it's because I'm an big introvert and I tend to isolate if not forced into interactions with others. But too much interaction with others has a REALLY BAD affect on me. I get overwhelmed, things get triggered, I feel incredibly drained being with a lot of people. But meditation group provides a safe place for me to be with others without feeling the social pressure and the social awkwardness that I often feel.

I'm rambling. I'd like to hear how others feel about their journey to healing from their trauma.
Thank you,
sb
Old 07-17-2018, 11:20 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

I'm so glad that you found something that works for you.

I'm a 100% dyed-in-the-wool extrovert, and I have some friends who are huge introverts. I always make an effort to let them talk, really listen to what they say, and if they don't feel like talking, become comfortable in the silence (NOT an easy thing for me to do). I can absolutely see the feelings that come from being around a bunch of extroverts triggering past trauma.

I think the group meditation thing is brilliant. Connected, but not feeling the need to interact in a verbal way.
Old 07-21-2018, 05:26 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

MM, Thank you for your reply! It's nice to hear from you - an extroverts perspective.

I'm sure that your introverted friend so appreciates your conscientiousness - I know that I would
Old 07-30-2018, 03:08 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

OK. So I've done a bit of research and have decided to join a women's DBT group (Dialectical Behavioral Therapy) for the ptsd. This may be overkill for me but I'm going to try it anyway.
It focusses on four core skillsj:
Midfulness
Emotion Regulation
Distress Tolerance (I think this is my Achilles heel)
Interpersonal Effectiveness (I can always use work in this area)

Has anyone else ever tried this kind of therapy before? If so, please share your experience if you feel comfortable doing so.

Thank you for reading. Have a peaceful day.
Old 08-02-2018, 08:08 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

DBT was the therapeutic modality at the rehab I went to. Developed by Marsha Linehan, research has shown it effective for women with postpartum depression and borderline personality disorder (both forms of PTSD).

Mindfulness is the biggest component of DBT, to be used in each pillar (emotional regulation, interpersonal communication, distress tolerance).

I have a DBT essential skills manual that has lots of exercises. I've found it useful.
Old 08-03-2018, 03:43 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

daredevil, thank you for the useful response! I'm interested in your DBT essential skills manual and the exercises it contains. Do you have an author by any chance?
Old 08-03-2018, 03:52 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I've recently read that PTSD treatments should include some form of journaling of the event(s) that caused the trauma.

I've tried to do that in the past but sometimes my writing would become illegible because the thoughts in my mind would come so fast and I could not keep up with writing or typing it all.

When this happened I was in an anxious state.

So my journaling will now have guidelines:
Limit to 15 minutes at a time

Mindfully keep myself in a 'safe' state of mind - when feeling anxious then put the pen down and breath/reground myself.

'Dip my toe in the water' so to speak. Refrain from feeling like it all has to come out at once. Pace myself.

Thank you for reading!