Notices

Write it Down

Old 07-16-2018, 03:10 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Write it Down

Yea, I know. It's cliche. Heck, I've even run in circles with it.. thinking if I created this strict regimen of writing every damn day I'd get somewhere and I find I just didn't want to write everyday and then I'm beating myself up again and.... now I realize I missed the point entirely.

Write it down though, it works.

What's the one or two or three things I must get done today? Write it down, check it off when your done. It feels good.

What do I want my life to look like in a year? 2 years? Five years? How the hell should I know? Write it down. Come back to it after 3-5 days, a week, two weeks. Write a little more.

Because when you write it down it's there. It comes to the forefront of your mind. It builds slowly, bit by bit. And then you have something, or you learn something new and you grow. Bit by bit. Day by day.

Write it down.

It gets you out of your head. Maybe not at first. But 1 page, 2 pages, 3 pages later focus starts coming, the venting works. It's not in your head anymore.

Write it down. Commit it to more than just thought, chatter, noise. Write it down.

B
Old 07-16-2018, 03:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I a man a big fan of writing things down. When I first got sober I had the most basic todo lists and now it is a world of 28 mo and change.

I use an old school planner and write notes, ideas, put down calendar stuff way ahead of time, a running inventory and story of my life, really!
Old 07-16-2018, 03:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Buckley, Great idea - thank you for the reminder.
Old 07-16-2018, 04:22 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I’m a chronic overthinker and I struggle to organise my thoughts, so this is a great advice, thank you Buckley.
Old 07-16-2018, 04:31 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Ditto what Snufkin said, plus I do write every little thing down so I can relax, my consciousness flows over a detailed framework of a list every day it does wonders for my anxiety
Old 07-16-2018, 04:38 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Great advice...I should do more...
Old 07-16-2018, 04:54 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

A friend who is in recovery has gave me some "homework" to do to write a paper on everything that I am powerless over. And to be honest I have no idea how to start. Anyone have any advice?
Old 07-16-2018, 07:15 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LaneyLove92 View Post
A friend who is in recovery has gave me some "homework" to do to write a paper on everything that I am powerless over. And to be honest I have no idea how to start. Anyone have any advice?
I know that feeling.

One thing I'd offer... just from my own experience... is that if I really don't feel like writing anything journal-wise I don't. But I do try to capture those thoughts that feel more like the authentic me. Dunno, it's hard to explain. I guess I just avoid trying to make it a chore and let it flow a bit more naturally.

In terms of not knowing what to write. Just start. Let it flow. Often when I do that - I start not really knowing what I want to express and find a few paragraphs or pages later that I have a lot more clarity. Ha, I've even started a number of entries with a phrase like "not even sure what I'm feeling right now..." and ended up with a very clear understanding of what I'm feeling.

It's a process is all. And mostly there's really something to using it to get out of the head and into a plan. Out of fear and anxiety and into "what can I do."