Notices

Don’t overthink just do

Old 07-16-2018, 12:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Don’t overthink just do

It’s a great motto for recovery and life in general. Take the advice of people who are successful and the programs that are successful. Don’t overthink it just do it...
Old 07-16-2018, 01:20 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Good reminder Brighterday! One of the biggest challenges I faced in recovery was admitting that I didn't have the answer to everything myself, and then listening to others who did.
Old 07-16-2018, 01:32 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
Good reminder Brighterday! One of the biggest challenges I faced in recovery was admitting that I didn't have the answer to everything myself, and then listening to others who did.
YES, this!
Old 07-16-2018, 01:44 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It’s so hard to do!! I’m a thinker by nature, and a born skeptic, lol. What always convinces me is when I see other people have something that I want. I don’t think God hates me enough to single me out for punishment, so that must mean that there is something that I can change about my approach in order to change my results. That inspires me to listen to what people did, really listen, the. adjust as necessary to fit my personality and lifestyle. But it is still hard when 51% of you wants to change but 49% is afraid of it.
Old 07-16-2018, 01:46 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Most of my overthinking was about how to eliminate the problems drinking was causing without eliminating the drinking.

The other members here who had problems with alcohol suggested it would be simpler and produce better results if I would just stop drinking, but I didn't believe them. They weren't as smart as me. They didn't need to drink to feel better like I did. I was different, so I needed a different solution. I just needed to think and think and think until I came up with one.

Old 07-16-2018, 02:06 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Good reminder. Especially when you are in the thick of it. It seems "impossible" to quit at first. How can it be done, how do I start, who do I tell, what do I say, what will I do at X event, how will I participate in (weddings, Christmases, beach trips, fishing, hunting, card playing, outdoor concerts, weekends, summers)... ad infinitum! Simple. Just don't drink. Life isn't an accompaniment to alcohol. It's the main event.

Another frequent saying I see here is "there is no try, just do". Same thing. Don't "try". Just do.

You don't have to have everything figured out. You don't absolutely need special wisdom or advice or counseling. Just don't put it to your lips, Don't swallow. Repeat. That's how you begin and how you continue.

Every moment you don't drink, your body will start healing and get stronger.

I'm convinced every single one of us can do it. Just accept it and do it. It took me YEARS to learn that lesson.
Old 07-16-2018, 02:29 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
AA Member

awesome brighterday1234 !

yea my best thinking got me in a psych ward 5150

while in there i became willing to follow direction

meetings
sponsor
steps
service to others
higher power

Old 07-16-2018, 03:03 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Such an awesome post.

Some questions don't have answers... and after a bit of time I often find they don't need answers.

As for doing... even if it's 1 thing. Just 1 thing today that I will do, must do. 30 days of that is a lot of things.

And of course, sometimes the 1 thing to do is to rest and just treat yourself well.

Thank you for sharing this.

-B
Old 07-16-2018, 03:25 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Good post and replies! Another mind "thing" I have to keep working on is what my husband and I call future tripping. Staying in the present, making the decision(s) that need to be NOW not ones we can tackle next, later, etc. when I stay in the present and in acceptance of....life....it's much easier and I am more content!
Old 07-17-2018, 09:31 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Glad you got something out of the post 🙏

Grateful to be sober.