Notices

GAWD I hate summer

Old 07-16-2018, 05:29 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

GAWD I hate summer

Okay....whine-y, complain-y, rant-y thread ahead.

I hate it. Its 70 in my house right now....70 outside. Its 6:15am. Gonna be triple digits for the foreseeable future. Hot, icky, brown, dry. Why do people like this crap? "Oh I can't wait for summer" really? Then by this time everyone is bitching and moaning. Then fall comes and everyone is thrilled, but oh God winter. I love winter. Cold, gray, snow, ice, short days.

Summer just stresses me out. I think about global warming constantly. Ugh. I mean, it doesn't affect me every moment but, well, its just plain scary. Its not like global warming is worse in the summer, or isn't progressing in the winter, it just isn't slapping me in the face.

So another 6 weeks of this. I am grateful that I live in an area where there are 4 definite seasons....so nothing, cold or hot, lasts that long. I'm glad I live in an area that has its own natural sources of fresh water. I used to live in Cali....for 40 years. I worry about that state. I mean, when the water starts to run out, what are they gonna do? Of course there is so much money and influence there they will just continue to damn up places in my state and buy the water. Yikes. Fire. Yikes.

I am grateful I have a new AC. I actually bought it last year, but there was an issue with it so the people completely replaced it. Can't complain about that. And it works well. But that stresses me out too because I know how environmentally awful AC is. I mean, its not like homo sapiens haven't lived most of our existence without these earth destroying comforts. Oh dear.

So anyway, its no wonder my relapses usually occur in the summer. Now I am NOT going to drink. Repeat, not happening. So that's ok. Its just getting through this. And this is a rant so I'm not all consumed with this thinking. But it is rough. Truly.

We have a trip to Cali to see universities in August. Going to Santa Barbara, Cal poly. I hope it isn't ablaze at that time. Poor Cali. My state has lots of fires too but there isn't anyone living in those areas. Its just sad sad. I hope my daughters generation figures this stuff out. They are going to have to.

Rant over. Thanks for listening.
Old 07-16-2018, 05:45 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Old 07-16-2018, 05:49 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I don't have kids, so I don't really have a dog in this race after I leave, but my take on it is this:

The planet has been going through warming and cooling cycles for billions of years if you believe science. Humans have stressed the planet, removed some trees, fouled the water, killed the animals. The planet WILL shake (most of ) us off at some point and start over again. I find comfort in that. It will go on...way beyond my measly 70-80 years. I'm a vapor in the wind. I'm a believer in God/the power of the Universe, and I just see Him (metaphorically) with one hand over an eye right about now, while we play out our little Free-Will game here.

Will it be soon? Maybe. Maybe we'll lower the populations by a nuclear war. Maybe a super-virus will get half of us. Regardless, it's way above my pay level.

And another

Oh. and I don't watch the news.
Old 07-16-2018, 06:56 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I’ll join in summer hating. Sweating bullets at 9am. :/
Old 07-16-2018, 07:41 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I think it is knowing that I have a child that will have to deal with this.....and her children. Ugh. Is what it is. Sapiens are bleep in history. But even straws pizz me off. If I see another plastic Starbucks cup I'm gonna scream. Well not really. Otherwise I'd be screaming all the time...then I'd get arrested.

Just walked the dog 5 miles.....sweating bullets....and its 7:45am. Ahhhh summer. Now I have to take the kid to the dr. Ahhhh teenagers.
Old 07-16-2018, 07:42 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by OhOctober View Post
I’ll join in summer hating. Sweating bullets at 9am. :/
Haha. I'm right there with ya. Oh October can't come soon enough.....
Old 07-16-2018, 07:50 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Autumn/Fall is my absolute favourite time of year. Horror movies every day and the most agreeable weather. It DEFINITELY can't come soon enough
Old 07-16-2018, 08:05 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Well, I love summer. I like heat. Born in Georgia in June. When I can see heat waves coming off the grass, I'm happy.

I hate cold. I hate winter. I have tested myself and my camping gear but, I didn't like it. People thought I was crazy.

Give me summer.
Old 07-16-2018, 08:27 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Ha!! Seasonal changes are a HUGE stressor for me as well but it is the Winter, not the Summer. I have plans to move South within the next few years... my daughter actually is already down there for college.

I actually have been diagnosed with SAD... I do get more tempted to consume when confined to the indoors. (Hopefully, you have A/C.)

Look on the bright side, if it is 70 degrees for one minute during any time during any given day, you have had at least one minute more of good weather than we have on a Winter Day when the high temperature doesn't even reach 0 degrees. ;-)

I am sure I will be right there with you about complaining about Summer weather if I move to a state like AZ or FL. I've been there during the Summer and know it is not fun... best of luck to you.
Old 07-16-2018, 08:29 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by trachemys View Post
Well, I love summer. I like heat. Born in Georgia in June. When I can see heat waves coming off the grass, I'm happy.

I hate cold. I hate winter. I have tested myself and my camping gear but, I didn't like it. People thought I was crazy.

Give me summer.
Yay, someone agrees with me!
Old 07-16-2018, 08:38 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Old 07-16-2018, 10:31 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by trachemys View Post

Give me summer.
I am so jealous of you! But then I dunno....folks that hate the cold I think suffer more, at least physically, than those of us that run hot.

Ironically I love hot yoga, I love to sweat my azz off when working out. I love tropical heat, hot vacations. Don't even mind gardening in the heat. I think its purely a psychological thing for me. I get anxious with the long days. I don't like my skin showing. I don't like the traffic....during the winter no one drives around unless they have to. I dunno....its weird.
Old 07-16-2018, 10:35 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TeeJayVerm View Post
Ha!! Seasonal changes are a HUGE stressor for me as well but it is the Winter, not the Summer. I have plans to move South within the next few years... my daughter actually is already down there for college.

I actually have been diagnosed with SAD... I do get more tempted to consume when confined to the indoors. (Hopefully, you have A/C.)

Look on the bright side, if it is 70 degrees for one minute during any time during any given day, you have had at least one minute more of good weather than we have on a Winter Day when the high temperature doesn't even reach 0 degrees. ;-)

I am sure I will be right there with you about complaining about Summer weather if I move to a state like AZ or FL. I've been there during the Summer and know it is not fun... best of luck to you.
Yeah I was just saying that I think people that have trouble physically with the cold, and psychologically, suffer more than someone like me.

Physically I'm fine. Its the anxiety. But I think depression from the winter is worse....or it seems like it.

AZ in the summer? Been there. And yeah, its brutal. I'd rather have Florida but on the coast for sure. I lived in Hawaii and loved that....well no kidding huh? And yes I have a brand spankin new AC so I'm fine there. I just feel badly when its spewing its toxic crap into the atmosphere....so that creates anxiety. Oh well. It's only a few month out of the year....so I'm really lucky. I was just have a self pity moment/rant!
Old 07-16-2018, 10:46 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I totally share your stress! When all the air conditioners are running full bore 24/7, and I think about the energy drain...and god forbid the power goes out, we all sit around blinking in the dark, wondering wtf...we are a pampered and spoiled species!
Old 07-16-2018, 10:47 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Frickaflip233 View Post
I just feel badly when its spewing its toxic crap into the atmosphere....so that creates anxiety. Oh well. It's only a few month out of the year....so I'm really lucky. I was just have a self pity moment/rant!
Ha... no worries at all. I totally understand. Check back here in December... I will be a self pity machine (but will do my best to control myself).
Old 07-16-2018, 10:50 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I've lived in snowy places and enjoyed winter there, in my youth and as a young adult. These days winter has 60-70 degree highs and summer can see 110+.

Winter can't get here soon enough. Summer is the awful time.
Old 07-16-2018, 10:51 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I'm in a monogamous relationship with my AC unit(s) currently.
Old 07-16-2018, 11:05 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

as the summers continue to heat up, and the waters rise, CA will gradually get consumed by the lifeless seas.....

and the power needed for all the increased AC will amp up the use of fossil fuels and further exacerbate the warming.....

and the waters will run out or become toxic and they'll come here to Michigan and pump our Great Lakes dry and stale and dead....

And the drilling and the prospecting and the energy consumption for AC will rage on at exponential pace....

And we will suddenly one day realize - all too late - how right the concerns were....

And it will become an endless summer - but not in a good way....

And we will perish..... and the earth will be just fine because the earth will persist and will survive..... but humans may not. Almost certainly will not.... at least not as we recognize humanity today.

Yeah, summer is a bummer. But crank up the AC and live for today.... we probably won't be around for all that.

Old 07-16-2018, 11:08 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Frick - I'm trying to do 'mind over matter' because it's hella hot here too. Then I saw your thread & figured I'd drop in & share the misery. I agree with you, but I don't want to. In the bitter cold winter I dreamed of the warm sun on my skin. Ha. I have no Air Conditioning in the 2nd floor of this house - bedroom can get to 95 when the sun is out. I win.
Old 07-16-2018, 11:08 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DontRemember View Post
I'm in a monogamous relationship with my AC unit(s) currently.
Me too! We still get quite a bit of that in the Midwest. (16 days over 90 degrees in Chicago this year)