Notices

Job Advancement

Old 07-14-2018, 05:51 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
SWB

Job Advancement

So I知 almost three days into my recovery and at work today I saw a posting for a higher position closer to home that I知 qualified for. Is it unwise to apply for this while I知 newly becoming sober?
Old 07-15-2018, 05:17 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

The first few months of sobriety are tough. Interviews, learning new skills, working out notice in a job I'm leaving and the social and emotional pressures of finding myself in a new work environment. Well they would've been a big added pressure for me. Only you know how you handle these things and can make that decision. If your job is secure where you are at the moment it might be wise to wait form the next opportunity, when you have sobriety and recovery under your belt and a recovery network in place to draw upon.

Saying that I moved house at a couple of months sober and that worked out well for me, so theres no definitive answer.

What do you think?

Bb
Old 07-15-2018, 05:34 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I would do anything to make a shorter commute. That's my #1 requirement for a job.

It's your call. Good luck!
Old 07-15-2018, 06:06 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

Do you want the new job? How do you like your current position in contrast to the new one? If they are equal or if the new one would be a better fit for you and your skills, I'd say go for it. My work is a huge part of who I am and I would definitely pursue a promotion if it allowed me to shine and increase my skills. Some changes in early recovery are inevitable - they are not all disallowed.

O
Old 07-15-2018, 06:23 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Obladi View Post
Do you want the new job? How do you like your current position in contrast to the new one? If they are equal or if the new one would be a better fit for you and your skills, I'd say go for it. My work is a huge part of who I am and I would definitely pursue a promotion if it allowed me to shine and increase my skills. Some changes in early recovery are inevitable - they are not all disallowed.

O
Indeed, the question to ask is if you want it. If the answer is yes, then I'd go for it. Getting a promotion, being financially better rewarded, having more responsibilities at work, all of these can provide positive reinforcement of the good that sobriety can bring. If you're concerned about added stress, you can look at strategies to deal with it, which might mean reinforcing or supplementing your plan.
Old 07-15-2018, 06:25 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SWB View Post
So I’m almost three days into my recovery and at work today I saw a posting for a higher position closer to home that I’m qualified for. Is it unwise to apply for this while I’m newly becoming sober?
In general I think this is a very individual decision. For some of us, setting goals like this or making significant changes are a very good and healthy part of sobriety in the early days. Others may get overwhelmed too easily.

All that said, the closer to home thing combined with potential for more income seem like awfully big advantages that would be hard to turn away from.

Whatever you choose, trust yourself and stay sober.

B
Old 07-15-2018, 06:39 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
SWB

Thank you all, I think I知 going to go for it.
Old 07-15-2018, 08:45 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Good luck!

I'm 90 something days sober. Have been pushing hard for it in the past two years. I got married a year and a half ago, had a baby 6 weeks ago and am about to start a company with a colleague this fall.

Life doesn't wait for us to catch up.
Old 07-15-2018, 06:19 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

hi SWB

I was barely out of bed at 3 days - so I'm gonna go with Berrybean and urge caution.

Think about all a new job entails - interviews, learning new skills, meeting expectations and meeting new people.

And you'll be doing all that coming off a long addiction.

If you think you can get through all that without drinking, that's great.
If you're not sure, maybe you need to do some more thinking?

D