Notices

Day zero. Triggers

Old 07-14-2018, 10:05 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day zero. Triggers

This is going to be weird. So I ruined a relationship from 19-24. Now I am 27. I’m still tapering. I think I just have weird triggers. Existential thoughts. And Drake. I would never want to put anyone in that situation. She was just along for the ride. Because I really got bad all our relationship. But i was cool at 19. Just kept getting worse. I just kept going and I put her emotionally through stuff I don’t think I can forgive myself for. Nothing physical every. But I continusly listen to drizzy. I’m starting to to realize it may be a trigger and I never knew. My air pods are blasting as if I make sense. So like how weird are your guys triggers? I think music triggers me. But I love music.
Old 07-14-2018, 06:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

By the end of my drinking I did everything with a drink..so when I quit, everything triggered me.

Waking up triggered me - not feeling ok triggered me - strong emotions triggered me.

I had to learn it was ok to sit through that discomfort - I'd be OK and it would pass. The more I did that, the easier it got.

Of course if the thing triggering you is some thing you have a choice in - like a particular kind of music or one specific artist - it might be good not to listen to that genre or artist - just for a while until you feel stronger?

D
Old 07-14-2018, 10:40 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm just saying.. The "tapering" doesn't seem to be working out too well. Might want to dump it out and start recovery if that's what you're looking for.
Old 07-14-2018, 11:05 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'll say too; If something 'triggers' me, I cut out whatever it is. I don't put up with drama anymore.
Old 07-14-2018, 11:53 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I don't think you're weird. We all get triggered and preoccupied with the nature of our existence in early days. That's why we work programs of recovery. So we can choose not to act on cravings when we are triggered. To find peace with our place in the world and get ourselves (and our problems) right sized. I reckon, like the rest of us, you're a bog standard alcoholic. That seperateness is just another but of ammunition of our addictive thinking. What works for us will work for you as well. You just need to get willing to try some of that recovery work. When i just put down the drink and spent some time naval gazing that did me no good whatsoever. Not met a person yet who it did help.

How's about trying some recovery work. The problem is in you. The solution is outside of you. If you want to get better find some recovered people to look at and look HARD. Then copy. Monkey see, monkey do. It's not complicated. But it's not easy either.

There's your mission if you choose to accept it.

BB