Notices

Can't stop

Old 07-13-2018, 08:51 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Can't stop

Hi, I'm new here. I started drinking when I turned 18. (I'm nearly 20 now), and I went from just casual drinking on the weekend to drinking nearly everyday at some points, even in the morning. I've never had physical withdrawal symptoms but I have a strong psychological dependence on alcohol.. I can't stop. I'm wasting so much money, even stealing my sister's alcohol which I never imagined I'd do. It used to be for fun, but now I always just feel guilty afterwards, and yet I keep going. I'm really scared, I don't wanna be like this forever. I hate the guilt and everything and despite everything I still can't see myself quitting yet. I really do wanna deep down though. I'm drunk now as I type this, I feel terrible about it. I can't really say this is gonna be a new beginning and I'm gonna stop and get sober, but I wanna at least try to improve and cut down.
Old 07-13-2018, 08:53 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It might be genetic. In my case both sides of the family are alcoholic so I don't have much hope
Old 07-13-2018, 09:01 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Laura3 View Post
It might be genetic. In my case both sides of the family are alcoholic so I don't have much hope
Same here. My dad was an alcoholic and he's addicted to drugs rn.. and addiction runs on my mom's side too. Wish I never started.
Old 07-13-2018, 09:12 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Of course you can quit.

What other people do is not what you have to do; family or not. I'm "genetically" inclined to be way over-weight, and yet I'm not. I WAS, but I changed, because I wanted to. My father died of alcoholism, my mother was a heavy drinker. I quit using alcohol.

Anyone can quit.

You do have to want it and stop looking for excuses and rationalizations, though.
Old 07-13-2018, 09:16 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
nez

Genetics do not determine our journey. They are only a part, not a predetermined destination. When I first got sober, I didn't really want to stop drinking, I just wanted to stop all the crap that was happening. Funny thing is that along my journey, I discovered sober was what I wanted all along.
Old 07-13-2018, 09:26 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

my boss has a nut allergy. regardless of whether it has a genetic base or simply "developed" over time she knows one thing absolutely:

NEVER EAT NUTS. not one, not a little bit. if she even suspects there MIGHT be nuts in the food, she does not eat it. EVER.

our alcohol allergy is exactly the same. there is one perfect solution: NEVER DRINK ALCOHOL. not one drink, not one shot, not because it's a birthday/holiday/anniversary. EVER.
Old 07-13-2018, 09:48 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

I don't have much hope
Funny word hope.

You used it as a noun (something you have), but it is also a verb (something you do).

I find the more I do it, the more I have it.

Best of Luck on Your Journey.
Old 07-13-2018, 10:40 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome to SR Rye98. Glad you've decided to do something about the problem.

As others have mentioned, anyone can quit. Genetics, our surroundings, etc are certainly factors in our lives - but make no mistake that drinking is a choice we make every day. And we can choose not to drink as well.

It is a simple concept but not an easy choice to make. If you are drunk now, it may not make a lot of sense anyway as alcohol affects our ability to make rational decisions. But you have just as much ability as anyone to say that today is the day that you quit. You can dump out the alcohol you have available and quit right now if you want.

Quitting the drinking itself is one piece of the puzzle, but we also have to make major changes to our lives/thinking once we've stopped to stay sober. You'll hear a lot of talk about having a plan - and that's exactly what a plan is. It's a method/idea/set of instructions you can use to live your life without alcohol. And you'll find a tremendous amount of information here on how to do it, as well as support. I hope you can quit and join us for some more converastions when you sober up.
Old 07-13-2018, 01:29 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I never had much physical withdraw when I was drinking because...well..I was always drinking. i.e "maintenance drinking" I never really got 'drunk' unless I tried extra hard. .32BAC I believe when I got my DUI. Get it under control before it gets even more outta control! It's already controlling you and your life.
Old 07-13-2018, 04:46 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Rye

When I first came to SR I was finding it difficult to get to a day 3 - but the support and encouragement I found here helped me turn my life around.

I know we can help you too. Like others have said change really is possible, if you want it

D
Old 07-13-2018, 04:49 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome, Rye98!

I didn't think I could quit either, because that's what alcoholism does to your mind. But, you can quit and you can live a sober and happy life. We do understand how hard this is, but you will find lots of support and information here.