Notices

Trying to ride it out right now

Old 07-12-2018, 03:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Trying to ride it out right now

Sitting here on Day 5 with an intense urge to drink. I’m realizing I’m worse than I even thought I was and. I need help. I’ve been trying the urge surfing that I found on this site and it does help some.

Yesterday, I was feeling really good. Got my daughter to soccer, had a good workout myself, went to a women’s AA meeting( still really really awkward, everyone is so nice but I’m naturally introverted so sharing my feelings seems so impossible to me).

Then last night, I went with a friend to a dinner organized by some women I hadn’t met before. Everyone was drinking wine. The hostess asked me Red or white? As soon as she met me. I said water would be great! and didn’t drink any wine at all the entire evening, although it was offered to me several times. They even toasted and I was the only water glass. Honestly, it was pretty mortifying but when I got home I was elated... feeling like I CAN DO THIS.

Today, went to gym and now kids aren’t home and all I want to do is run to the store and get a bottle and drink it. I feel like I’m going crazy.

It’s like deciding I’m done has made me want to drink 10X more. I don’t want to numb my feelings anymore, I want to grow up and feel like a real person and have real relationships. That is my goal.
Old 07-12-2018, 03:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Nice job posting here before you drank.

Stay sober any way you can. No one regrets not drinking the night before the next morning.
Old 07-12-2018, 03:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congrats on five days. Same thoughtpattern happened to me when I decided enough is enough a while back but in my case my drinking escalated.

Stay on track. You're doing great Do it one day at a time and things will eventually get better. You are strong enough, and there is always someone to reach out to here.
Old 07-12-2018, 03:24 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Great job posting here! I did the same thing a couple weeks ago by inviting someone over to drink and felt relieved afterwards because I wasn't urged to drink.

I woke up the next morning without a hangover and felt exactly like you did...I COULD DO THIS! I began going to more meetings, both AA and SMART, surrounding myself with people who also want to be sober, and began developing new healthy habits that didn't involve drinking or going to the bar.

Best wishes.
Old 07-12-2018, 03:27 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Put on your janmies and call this day a wrap. Nothing wrong with going to bed early. Settle in with a movie or whatever you need to do to call it a day.
Old 07-12-2018, 03:28 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Great job with the dinner.
Glad you came on here to talk. It's hard the first few weeks.
Old 07-12-2018, 03:44 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

Those intense cravings to drink are not uncommon. Your AV is trying to get you to satisfy "its wants". Get a nice glass of juice or tea. Treat yourself to some ice cream and watch some tv. It will pass. Tomorrow when you wake up sober and sign in for 24 more sober hours you will be smiling!
Old 07-12-2018, 03:46 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lessgravity View Post
Nice job posting here before you drank.

Stay sober any way you can. No one regrets not drinking the night before the next morning.
Thanks! Yes, so true. I want more of that feeling.
Old 07-12-2018, 03:48 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Trelkovsky View Post
Congrats on five days. Same thoughtpattern happened to me when I decided enough is enough a while back but in my case my drinking escalated.

Stay on track. You're doing great Do it one day at a time and things will eventually get better. You are strong enough, and there is always someone to reach out to here.
Thanks for the encouragement!
Old 07-12-2018, 03:51 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by rich27 View Post
Great job posting here! I did the same thing a couple weeks ago by inviting someone over to drink and felt relieved afterwards because I wasn't urged to drink.

I woke up the next morning without a hangover and felt exactly like you did...I COULD DO THIS! I began going to more meetings, both AA and SMART, surrounding myself with people who also want to be sober, and began developing new healthy habits that didn't involve drinking or going to the bar.

Best wishes.
It sounds like you are doing great. I’m trying to get myself to speak up at meetings, but it’s a struggle. I just want to listen right now but I’ve been called on, and all I can manage to say is that I want to quit drinking.
Old 07-12-2018, 03:53 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by eyes99 View Post
Put on your janmies and call this day a wrap. Nothing wrong with going to bed early. Settle in with a movie or whatever you need to do to call it a day.
Great idea... it’s not yet 5 pm here but still sounds good to me! Thank you, reading suggestions and replying is really making me feel better.
Old 07-12-2018, 03:54 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by resolute50 View Post
Great job with the dinner.
Glad you came on here to talk. It's hard the first few weeks.
Thank you, I’m glad I posted too.
Old 07-12-2018, 03:57 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ChloeRose63 View Post
Those intense cravings to drink are not uncommon. Your AV is trying to get you to satisfy "its wants". Get a nice glass of juice or tea. Treat yourself to some ice cream and watch some tv. It will pass. Tomorrow when you wake up sober and sign in for 24 more sober hours you will be smiling!
Yes, you’re right. It’s already not quite as bad and posting and replying has distracted me some too. I don’t want to have to start over AGAIN. Thank you.
Old 07-12-2018, 04:00 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Isabel8 View Post
It sounds like you are doing great. I’m trying to get myself to speak up at meetings, but it’s a struggle. I just want to listen right now but I’ve been called on, and all I can manage to say is that I want to quit drinking.
Just walking through those doors takes a lot of courage. I just shared my experiences for the first time on Tuesday night and found myself rambling up there for 2 minutes but in the end they welcomed me. There really is a lot of support out there and on here. Lifestyle changes are not easy and we are not in this alone.
Old 07-12-2018, 04:05 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

Originally Posted by Isabel8 View Post
Yes, you’re right. It’s already not quite as bad and posting and replying has distracted me some too. I don’t want to have to start over AGAIN. Thank you.
No you don't want another Day 1!
There will be a time when you will feel the freedom from alcohol and really begin to experience how wonderful each day can be! Keep that in your heart and mind. Some of the difficult days that we have are preparing us to become better, wiser and stronger against our addictions. Together we are strong!
Have a wonderful evening! ♡CR
Old 07-12-2018, 04:27 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Isabel - yeah I'd often get through a trying situation sober...and THEN the urge to srink would start on me.

You don;t have to give in - the urge will, and does pass
Support helps- so use SR as much as you can.

Check out the Class of July support thread maybe?
https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...art-1-a-9.html (Class of July 2018 Part 1)

D
Old 07-12-2018, 04:27 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

For the last couple of days I've been binging on mindless Netflix and coloring - you know, in an adult coloring book. (Not that kind of adult ) Keeping busy with this sort of drowns out everything else. You might want to try it.

Five days is GREAT. Keep going with it - all you have to think about is "now." You are not drinking now, right? Stick with that - no thoughts of what happens drinking-wise after "now." It's a relief to let go of that tug-of-war in the brain.

O
Old 07-12-2018, 07:19 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Hi Isabel - yeah I'd often get through a trying situation sober...and THEN the urge to srink would start on me.

You don;t have to give in - the urge will, and does pass
Support helps- so use SR as much as you can.

Check out the Class of July support thread maybe?

D
I will go look at that thread too, thank you Dee.
Old 07-12-2018, 07:26 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Obladi View Post
For the last couple of days I've been binging on mindless Netflix and coloring - you know, in an adult coloring book. (Not that kind of adult ) Keeping busy with this sort of drowns out everything else. You might want to try it.

Five days is GREAT. Keep going with it - all you have to think about is "now." You are not drinking now, right? Stick with that - no thoughts of what happens drinking-wise after "now." It's a relief to let go of that tug-of-war in the brain.

O
The tug-of-war, I think, is what is driving me crazy. I know my mind is made up, no more drinking for me, I even made a list (long list) of my reasons why I want to be sober in the notes of my phone, so I can look at it anytime. Because hours after I am so resolved, out of nowhere, my brain will start saying... oh, it’s not so bad, you could just drink less, less often. Which I’ve already tried and last weekend I almost went to the hospital. Ended up having a mobile IV service come to my house so had to make excuses to get the kids out bc I didn’t want them to see. Anyway, it’s really making me crazy and I would LOVE to shut it off. Exercise is good for me and I used to be crafty, been thinking I should try to come up with a project to work on.
Old 07-12-2018, 07:59 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

The one thing I did in early sobriety that really strengthened me was to practice gratitude. Every day find at least one thing to be grateful for. And if it's a person you're grateful for - tell them so. Gratitude really helps me and makes me happier too.

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/22/o...pier.html?_r=0