Notices

How do I stop

Old 07-11-2018, 09:23 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How do I stop

Just need some guidance. I keep listening to my AirPods. I’m wheeling ladies on tinder left and right. Will never work out if I keep this up. It’s always way too late and way too early. I don’t know how I make it through a day. I’m working harder to stay awake.
Old 07-11-2018, 11:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Hi RollMeAway. I would say the first thing is to be absolutely clear in your own mind that you really want to stop.

Once that decision has been made it is a question of preparing for those times when the addicted part of your mind wants a drink. For me this meant getting up a bit earlier and at some point in the day doing some physical exercise like walking. This had two benefits, firstly it helped overcome the insomnia that most of us suffer in early revovery and secondly it makes us physically tired and ready for bed in the evening and once we are in 'bed, sleep' mode this usually means we can avoid some part of the cravings in the evening when they are at their worst for many of us.

I was only an occasional user of AA but I would always recommend that people give it a try as action such as going to a meeting is a good thing of itself - it underscores your determination to quit.

Once you get some sober time it is then less about fighting cravings and more about not being fooled by your AV or addict/alcoholic voice into thinking you are able to drink normally again. There is lots of sound advice to be had on that here at SR too once you reach that stage.

Quitting is the best thing you will ever do, it is no guarantee of the good life but continued drinking/using is a guarantee of misery so it is the only choice really.

Good luck!
Old 07-12-2018, 01:08 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
AA Member

how are you today RollMeAway ?

Old 07-12-2018, 01:29 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome! The following link has lots of information on recovery programs and tips for stopping drinking:

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...at-we-did.html (Recovery Programs & What to Expect (What We Did))
Old 07-12-2018, 05:59 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by january161992 View Post
how are you today RollMeAway ?

Sweating lol. You all make it easier. I wheeled a day offa work. What day is it? 😂❤️ Trying
Old 07-13-2018, 08:24 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
AA Member

have you tried an AA meeting?

i find it much easier to stay stopped while attending meetings

Old 07-13-2018, 08:27 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Thinking of you, Roll...I know the early days are horrible, but they will end. Then you can begin to heal. We're with you.
Old 07-13-2018, 01:35 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

**If I were you**; I'd step away from tinder and step into AA or another recovery type meeting. Focus on yourself and don't have to much on you plate for a while. Self care is key in early recovery. Dating is work and a lot/most revolve around meeting for drinks in the begining. Just 'do you'(whatever way you want to take that ) for a while.
Old 07-13-2018, 04:47 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

How are things today RollMeAway?

D