Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Long-Time Lurker - Just wanted to clear up some stuff about U.S. employer's access to medical record

Notices

Long-Time Lurker - Just wanted to clear up some stuff about U.S. employer's access to medical record

Old 07-10-2018, 10:08 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi - I've lurked a long time - this is my first post (6 months sober!).

Anyway, I've seen it posted a number of times that U.S. employers have no access to medical records.

This is not entirely true. For certain occupations (law, positions that involve the use of heavy machinery) you can be asked to provide your medical records as a condition of employment.

Also, if you work directly for the government or work for a contractor who works for the government and need a security clearance, you will likely have to sign a Medical Release Form which gives them access to your medical records. You, of course, don't HAVE to sign it but if you don't you won't get a clearance and hence the job.

Prior alcohol and/or drug use are the No. 1 reasons for denying clearances.

Just wanted to point this out. For people considering a career in government especially, it is something to be aware of. Everyone has to decide for themselves but it's important to have the accurate facts to make an informed decision. (used to have a job where I had to know this stuff).
Old 07-10-2018, 10:38 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Thanks for sharing. I'm pretty positive there are always exceptions to every rule, medical records being no different.

I personally feel that foregoing or skipping medical advice/treament for a life-threatening condition because of potential for future employment is a mistake though. I can't get a job if i'm dead either, now can I?
Old 07-10-2018, 10:42 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

Anyone with the means and the will can probably get your medical records.

I'm with Scott here. So you're going to forego treatment because a future employer might find out?
Old 07-10-2018, 10:44 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by MindfulMan View Post
Anyone with the means and the will can probably get your medical records.
Not to mention the fact that it was pretty obvious to everyone around me that I was a drunk while I was still drinking. I'd much rather be known as a recovering alcoholic on a piece of paper in someones office than an active drunk ;-)
Old 07-10-2018, 11:10 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

This is especially true for federal government jobs.

Something to be cognizant of indeed.
Old 07-10-2018, 11:16 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BeanBag1965 View Post
For certain occupations (law, positions that involve the use of heavy machinery) you can be asked to provide your medical records as a condition of employment.
Good! The way I was drinking towards the end, I should NOT have been involved in law enforcement or moving heavy machinery.

More importantly - HUGE congrats on 6 months, that's terrific.
Old 07-10-2018, 01:29 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Lots of people who are in jobs that are sensitive to addiction and mental health issues will deliberately stay away from medical professionals so there is no record. An airline pilot with depression, for example, might stay away from psychiatrists or psychologists and instead talk with their clergy person, for example.

It's sad that the system discourages people from getting the help they might need.
Old 07-10-2018, 01:39 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I did not talk to my doctor about my alcohol use because I want life insurance at a good rate and treatment would hurt those rates. NOW, if I really needed treatment then I would go, but I am not in need of treatment, thank the heavens.
I believe if someone really needs treatment to recover nothing should stop them; job, life insurance, family, friends, etc...
While I am sure people who do not truly want to recover, will find a million and 1 reasons not to go to treatment. I just hope when they are ready, they have the options.
Old 07-10-2018, 03:34 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
Thanks for sharing. I'm pretty positive there are always exceptions to every rule, medical records being no different.

I personally feel that foregoing or skipping medical advice/treament for a life-threatening condition because of potential for future employment is a mistake though. I can't get a job if i'm dead either, now can I?

That's not the issue I was raising. Just saying, you just can't say no employer will ever get your medical records if that is an untrue and false statement. It's manipulative. I personally give my knowledge and experience and let the person decide on their own.

I can't tell you how many people applied for gov. jobs who were told that their medical records wouldn't be taken into account and found out the truth.

If we stick with the truth, we can't go wrong.

Just saying, it's not true to say that no job in the U.S. can't consider your medical records when hiring you. A lot can.

Not arguing, just want to stick with the truth for people who need to make an informative decision. I don't know how you can argue against the truth.
Old 07-10-2018, 03:45 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi BeanBag

I'm Australian so I don't know what the situation is in the US - I don't even know what the situation is here .

I do know that I wish I'd seen a Dr during my last detox.

I might be a lot better off physically now than I am.

I think some things, like good health, can't be taken for granted and are worth much more than records on a file.

D
Old 07-10-2018, 04:19 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Hi BeanBag

I'm Australian so I don't know what the situation is in the US - I don't even know what the situation is here .

I do know that I wish I'd seen a Dr during my last detox.

I might be a lot better off physically now than I am.

I think some things, like good health, can't be taken for granted and are worth much more than records on a file.

D
I am going to go back to lurking. I think my point was missed. It had nothing to do with treatment or rehab. It had to do with not giving posters false info. IMO, it is unfair to give people info that no employer has access to medical records. It is False. It is lying if you now know the truth and it is making a blanket statement that is untrue in an effort to influence others who have a mind of their own and need facts. When you are drunk, a lot of people are trying to manipulate you, maybe just tell them the truth and your own experience.

People need to have the facts and make up their own mind. I don't advocate lying, especially when it involves employment or alcohol/drug abuse. I am absolutely amazed some posters seem okay with it.

Why not say the truth and let others decide. Like medical advice, if you lie you are putting yourself in legal peril.

This was an awful experience. Tried to educate people about HIPAA laws and most posters were just like, it's okay to lie if they get into treatment.

Heavens - no bad feelings but bye.
Old 07-10-2018, 04:54 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I've always been under the impression that medical information is confidential and can't be shared with anyone without your consent. To share without your consent would be a violation of HIPPA laws and subject to being fined or disciplined. I know someone who lost her job at a hospital for looking up stuff in the computer on a patient she was not involved taking care of. That is how seriously the hospital took confidentiality.
Old 07-10-2018, 05:01 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by teatreeoil007 View Post
I've always been under the impression that medical information is confidential and can't be shared with anyone without your consent. To share without your consent would be a violation of HIPPA laws and subject to being fined or disciplined. I know someone who lost her job at a hospital for looking up stuff in the computer on a patient she was not involved taking care of. That is how seriously the hospital took confidentiality.
Some employers require you to waive confidentiality and proffer your records.

That’s what the OP was getting at.

He is correct.

These are simply facts.

There’s too much misinformation in this thread.
Old 07-10-2018, 05:10 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Bean Bag

sorry if I upset you.

I was simply sharing my experience - that, knowing what I know now, I'd rather have gone to a doctor than not.

I suffered a series of mini strokes so that makes this issue a pretty important one for me and I try to share the other side as it were.

As I said I'm not American so I've honestly no idea if what you're saying is true or not, but no rules have been broken in this thread as yet.

No posts have been removed form this thread at this point - no posts have been edited - so no censorship of any kind is occurring

This is a internet discussion forum, and on 99.99% of topics people are going to disagree with you (or me).

I hope it doesn't come across as condescending if I say try not to take it personally.

I hope you keep posting

D

I am going to go back to lurking. I think my point was missed. It had nothing to do with treatment or rehab. It had to do with not giving posters false info. IMO, it is unfair to give people info that no employer has access to medical records. It is False. It is lying if you now know the truth and it is making a blanket statement that is untrue in an effort to influence others who have a mind of their own and need facts. When you are drunk, a lot of people are trying to manipulate you, maybe just tell them the truth and your own experience.

People need to have the facts and make up their own mind. I don't advocate lying, especially when it involves employment or alcohol/drug abuse. I am absolutely amazed some posters seem okay with it.

Why not say the truth and let others decide. Like medical advice, if you lie you are putting yourself in legal peril.

This was an awful experience. Tried to educate people about HIPAA laws and most posters were just like, it's okay to lie if they get into treatment.

Old 07-10-2018, 06:13 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=Dee74;6950780]Hi Bean Bag

sorry if I upset you.

I was sharing my experience - that, knowing what I know now, I'd rather have gone to a doctor than not.

I suffered a series of mini strokes so that makes this issue a pretty important one for me and I try to share the other side as it were.

As I said I'm not American so I've honestly no idea if what you're saying is true or not, but no rules have been broken in this thread as yet.

No posts have been removed form this thread at this point - no posts have been edited - so no censorship of any kind is occurring

This is a internet discussion forum, and on 99.99% of topics people are going to disagree with you (or me).

I hope it doesn't come across as condescending if I say try not to take it personally.

I hope you keep posting

Hi Dee - it's just like giving medical advice, medical should be banned. but somehow people can give legal advice. Can't do it. I like, what I perceive to be the posting rules - talk about your experience, don't give any legal/medical/health advice - just stay with what you know.

I have lurked for a long time. I think what got me to post - a poster said her boyfriend was being a jerk and wanted to throw him out within 24 hours notice and throw all of his things into a storage locker

Just NO. You have to look at State Law. In many States, that has so many legal problems. Even if his name wasn't on the lease, he could be considered a tenant, since he paid rent and stayed for months.

If she changed locks, put his stuff into storage, that could, by the Courts, to be interpreted as "Theft:" Jail Time.

I've lurked for years, but please be careful about what you post. It seems to have gotten very reckless lately. If you don't know Tenant Law - don't You are going to get yourself in trouble if you post things you don't know about. Popular saying in the legal field "Easy to get then in, Nightmare to get the Out"

That's it,

Stay away from subjects you don't anything about.. That is a law-suit waiting to happen

Bye-Thank you for hearing me out.
Old 07-10-2018, 06:16 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Actually, Dee gave the most sound advice as one can, as a moderator.

I couldn’t agree with him more.

While I also agree with you, you are incorrect in your absolutism.
Old 07-10-2018, 06:47 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

One of the reasons we don't have a legal advice rule is this site covers more than one country and one legal system.

People are also more ready to consult a lawyer than they are a doctor.

You shared your truth. Another poster who used to be here worked for HIPAA. Their truth was different to yours.

You've made your point, several times. I'm not sure what else you're looking for?

You won't find unilateral agreement here.

D
Old 07-10-2018, 07:37 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I’m confused - why not stay and share your knowledge?

This is an Internet forum where all opinions appear to be equal. In real life, there are experts whose credentials you check before consulting them. Here, no one knows you or what your credentials are. That means that nothing said by anyone is just taken as absolute truth.

You seem to be getting offended that every single person hasn’t automatically agreed with you. A lot of people have, but you’re focusing on the ones that didn’t. But you have to remember - no one here knows the real you or why you should be taken at your word.

So, why not just stay and share what you know in the hopes that it will help at least one person? Why not build credibility in this anonymous world by being helpful and speaking from your experience?

Packing up your bat and ball and heading home seems a bit dramatic to me.
Old 07-11-2018, 05:11 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

What the heck Bean? I think many of us, if not all, appreciated your post. The whole point of posting is, hopefully, to generate some conversation, perhaps disagreement, and to share our experiences etc. Your post did that.

Just because someone may have different views than you is no reason to bail on us. Believe me, I've had many an experience here that upset me - but the truth is that, after looking back, I realize the issue was more within me than with anything an anonymous stranger might have to say.

Hope to see you posting again soon.
Old 07-11-2018, 05:20 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

In the case of the storage unit/move the guy out story - I think I posted in that thread to, "Talk to an attorney." That's always my first advice in those type threads, but then I have experience trying to get a husband/boyfriend out and I also had rental properties. That situation comes up a lot here and since it's a public forum people jump in with all kinds of bad (not-legal) advice.

Why don't you post in that thread and make your, "Lawyer Up," suggestion?

In the case of the HIPPA laws, yeah. If someone wants a job that requires disclosure, there may be a problem getting that particular job. Of course, that problem is moot if you're dead. Your advice is a (good) warning...nothing more. You can't control what people post.