Notices

Started Outpatient Program June 27, 2018

Old 07-09-2018, 02:21 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Started Outpatient Program June 27, 2018

Hello to All,

As the title states I am in outpatient rehab. June 27 was suppose to be my Day 1 but I keep giving into the cravings. I've yet to attend an AA meeting. I obviously must and go regularly. I also think getting a sponser will help.
I'm in my mid 40's and started drinking late 20's/early 30's. Before that nothing. My 2nd husband was a daily drinker and that is when I started. I do not blame him, though. I am just one of those people who are prone to addiction, so my drinking progressed. I liked drinking.
About two years ago I decided to "cut back" and stopped binge drinking so often. BUT that meant no hangover the next day after 3-4 drinks so I'd drink the next day. This progressed to daily drinking. I realized by about age 33 that I was an alcoholic. So, I had no problem in admitting that. But I did not want to change.

Married my current husband in Jan 2015 and he has had it. My adult son is worried about my health which is fine NOW.

I decided to get treatment the day I craved a drink in the MORNING before work and actually poured one. I had a moment of out of body experience and it was as if I was looking at someone else. I did not drink the drink. I had an anxiety attack, poured the drink in the sink and called my husband crying. I told him I am ready for treatment and I do not want to live life drinking.

I relapsed again over the weekend and drank beers. It was not a binge. 4 Saturday and the other 2 yesterday. sigh....

Now I have to admit to the group this evening that I relapsed AGAIN. uuuggghhhh!!!

I am not giving up, though. Tomorrow I WILL attend my first AA meeting. No time left today because my 3 hour outpatient rehab session starts in about 1.5 hours.

Hope to get and give lots of support here. This process to sobriety is extremely difficult. I am up for this challenge. I want to live a sober life.

Well, that's my introduction to the forum.

Sincerely,
Cara
Old 07-09-2018, 04:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
AA Member

great demonstration of willingness

willingness is the key !

Old 07-09-2018, 04:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR CaraCamel
there's tons of good ideas and support here - glad you found us

D
Old 07-17-2018, 10:10 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

IOP UPDATE:

I started an outpatient rehab program June 27. During the 1st two weeks I went a max of 2 days without drinking and as my OP said, I was not attending any AA meetings as I was told to do. I was finally threatened to get kicked out of the program with the option of entering an inpatient rehab program. That talk was given to me Mon. July 9th (I had beers the night before).

The next day (Tues July 10th) I attended my first two AA meetings. I then attended my 3rd the following day. What a fool I was not going when first told to do so June 27! Since, July 10th, I have gone to AA daily - sometimes twice daily. Today is July 17th. As of today I have 10 AA meetings under my belt. I jumped around different groups (5) and have decided on what will be my "home" group. I can always attend other groups from time to time.

Also, today I am NINE days sober which is huge for me since I drank EVERY DAY for the past two years.

Yesterday, I had my 1st appt with a new psychiatrist who prescribed me 50mg naltrexone. I picked up the meds today. I have skimmed several threads here about naltrexone. If I decide to take it, it is not for moderation. I intend to live a sober life. The doctor recommended for short term use to decrease cravings for alcohol.

The opinions on these boards regarding naltrexone seem mostly negative but I have only skimmed. The reviews on Drugs dot com are mostly positive.
I'll probably start taking it tomorrow just as a precaution this early on in my recovery.

Anyone who has actually used naltrexone short term early in recovery with the end goal being 100% sober for life? I noticed so many reply to questions about neltrexone who have not used it. I'd kindly ask for tips for those who have taken it short term to reduce alcohol cravings in the process of becoming sober for life.

Thank you in advance,
Cara
Old 07-17-2018, 10:25 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

Good job.

There is absolutely no shame in switching to inpatient if you feel you need it and are having trouble staying sober in the IOP. Sounds like you have it handled now, but just remember that is an option. I did 5 weeks inpatient, then 6 weeks of meetings and then IOP. There were people in my IOP that couldn't put too much sober time together. We had checkins first, three boxes. Depression level, anxiety level, days sober (it was a Dual Diagnosis program).

I was still in the Mood Disorders/Addiction clinic while in the IOP (they were next door to each other), with different psychiatrists. The addiction clinic suggested naltrexone. My IOP psychiatrist, who I was working with nearly daily, thought I was doing OK without it. I ended up not taking it.

Sober for 14 months btw. I'm so done.
Old 07-17-2018, 11:02 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Cara!
Old 07-19-2018, 08:56 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks for the reply. I took the first dose last night. I think it disrupted my sleep. I will give it a week (that’s when I see the psychiatrist again).
Thanks for the welcome, Delilah!
Old 07-19-2018, 11:02 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Congratulations on 10 days. A big advance since you began AA. Could there be a connection?

On Naltrexone I can share some observations. I used Antabuse as an aid in early sobriety, and gave it away when my AA recovery kicked in. No longer required. It was a useful short term measure. I have seen others succeed using it the same way. And others again who have tried to use it as the sole means of recovery who have failed. Come to think of it, I did just that. I got drunk too.

I notice a similar pattern with posts on Naltexone. As an aid it has sometimes been helpful, but as a substitute for a proper treatment it has been totally ineffective. I guess because it treats a symptom of alcoholism, the craving some people experience, but not the cause - alcoholism.
Old 07-20-2018, 09:59 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Today is day 12. AA is a huge contribution. AA is working for me.
I still must find a sponsor!
Old 07-20-2018, 10:05 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CaraCamel View Post
Today is day 12. AA is a huge contribution. AA is working for me.
I still must find a sponsor!
good on ya!!
if meetings are workin that good, then the steps should do miracles for ya. ya just may have every promise in the BB materialize.
you do have a big book,right?
and have been reading it?
Old 07-20-2018, 03:54 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tomsteve View Post
good on ya!!
if meetings are workin that good, then the steps should do miracles for ya. ya just may have every promise in the BB materialize.
you do have a big book,right?
and have been reading it?
Yes and yes. We get homework from the IOP program. I am on step 2.
Old 07-20-2018, 09:16 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

It's good you are into those steps. They seemed to dictate the pace of my recovery.

on step two I looked at two things:

1) My experience. Over the years I had come to believe various human (power not greater than me) things would restore me to sanity. They included a court order, a spell in rehab, counselling, doctor, then also new job, new town, new girlfriend and prbably a few others. I thought if I could get my externa crcumstances right, I would be ok. All efforts failed, akl those beliefs proved to be false. No human power could fix me. That was my experience

2) The evidence of my own eyes. When I sat in an AA meetimg I saw people who had been the same as me and had recovered. As far as I could see, they seemed to be leading pretty good lives now, certainly a lot better than mine. The best of them put this down to finding a power greater than themselves through working the steps. Hmmm...

Then it came down to a question. Do I now believe or am I even willing to believe that the same Power that helped them could work for me too?
Well yes, I was willing to believe. Even though I had no belief at that time, I was willing to put it to the test. At some point in the process "The consiousness of your belief is sure to come to you."

Then I was on step three, making a decision to put this into effect.

It is simpler than it seems.